Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

I may have misses somebody posting this, if so I apologize, but...Vancouver is starting Markstrom tonight against the Yotes. That's GREAT news. If they can get a point tonight and we lose against Dallas, meaning we go into the Coyotes series with a 4 point lead (really 4.5 because no way we catch them in ROW) I'll feel really good. Split with them and I think everyone can then exhale.

Forgive me for speaking NHL.

Whatever your ethical person / Sabre fan stance is, we now find ourselves ten games away from a generational talent or a generational 1a talent. May your sons and daughters never endure the path we've traveled. Never again.

I have resigned myself to the outcome we all know as horrific in light of what it's cost to be here. That is, we will be relying on probability distributions, sampling without replacement, and dumb luck all as the result of a 29th place finish.

Arizona's got this and our only hope is giving ground head to head. Nothing short of Arizona taking 3 of 4, or 4 of 6, in our head to head games will keep them in front of us. I don't think Arizona at 2 of 4 or 3 of 5 is enough for Buffalo to avoid catching the Yotes.

I've looked at the eight games outside of our head to head. If Arizona takes 3 points, I'll be very surprised. If it's not three, it'll be less.

Buffalo, on the other hand, will pluck, grind, defy-Corsi, no-possession time itself to 6 points. Look at the schedule; Toronto, Columbus, Carolina, and Colorado are all lined up. If it's not 6, it'll be more.

Arizona's three point lead is gone when I assess likely outcomes and gut feelings. I see Buffalo more likely to erase the deficit and pass Arizona outside of the head to heads. Splitting the series won't do. Arizona needs to win two, with at least one in regulation, during our head to head. Frankly, they may need to win two in regulation.

Anybody see that happening?

Edited by Neo

Hello my friend, Neo.

It's been a while.  Welcome back to the show that never ends.

I am steadfastly against the tank.

Would it not be very funny, but not in a ha, ha way, if in the two head-to-head match ups both teams just stand around for 65 minutes and then flub all the SO attempts and the games have to end 0-0.  Then this BS will be decided in the other games.

I may have misses somebody posting this, if so I apologize, but...Vancouver is starting Markstrom tonight against the Yotes. That's GREAT news. If they can get a point tonight and we lose against Dallas, meaning we go into the Coyotes series with a 4 point lead (really 4.5 because no way we catch them in ROW) I'll feel really good. Split with them and I think everyone can then exhale.

Man it would be huge

To NS:

My friend. I hope your roof is strong. I would expect nothing but anti-tank from you.

Can you imagine pre game phone calls from the league to Buffalo and Arizona? "The whole world is watching."

I have an image in my mind's eye of Darcy pouring himself a scotch, at 1 am on March 31, alone in his den at home. With his suit still on and his tie undone, he smiles wryly.

Revenge is best served cold.

Edited by Neo

To NS:

My friend. I hope your roof is strong. I would expect nothing but anti-tank from you.

Can you imagine pre game phone calls from the league to Buffalo and Arizona? "The whole world is watching."

I have an image in my mind's eye of Darcy pouring himself a scotch, at 1 am on March 31, alone in his den at home. With his suit still on and his tie undone, he smiles wryly.

Revenge is best served cold.

You just know the Sabres are going to win those games, and it will be in a gutting fashion where they score early and there's no real hope.

Something like 3-1 and 4-1.

Nolan will have the Sabres playing like it's game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals while Arizona sleepwalks and scores into their own net "accidently."

You just know the Sabres are going to win those games, and it will be in a gutting fashion where they score early and there's no real hope.

Something like 3-1 and 4-1.

Nolan will have the Sabres playing like it's game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals while Arizona sleepwalks and scores into their own net "accidently."

The more I think about it, it's just really strange that Arizona even has a NHL team. Why would fans even care? If there are indeed young people who grow up around there (instead of elderly explants), why would they even care about hockey? I doubt there highschools even have teams. I even wonder if there's ice rinks there.

The more I think about it, it's just really strange that Arizona even has a NHL team. Why would fans even care? If there are indeed young people who grow up around there (instead of elderly explants), why would they even care about hockey? I doubt there highschools even have teams. I even wonder if there's ice rinks there.

Because biodork's mother and brother.

Whatever your ethical person / Sabre fan stance is, we now find ourselves ten games away from a generational talent or a generational 1a talent. May your sons and daughters never endure the path we've traveled. Never again.

I have resigned myself to the outcome we all know as horrific in light of what it's cost to be here. That is, we will be relying on probability distributions, sampling without replacement, and dumb luck all as the result of a 29th place finish.

Arizona's got this and our only hope is giving ground head to head. Nothing short of Arizona taking 3 of 4, or 4 of 6, in our head to head games will keep them in front of us. I don't think Arizona at 2 of 4 or 3 of 5 is enough for Buffalo to avoid catching the Yotes.

I've looked at the eight games outside of our head to head. If Arizona takes 3 points, I'll be very surprised. If it's not three, it'll be less.

Buffalo, on the other hand, will pluck, grind, defy-Corsi, no-possession time itself to 6 points. Look at the schedule; Toronto, Columbus, Carolina, and Colorado are all lined up. If it's not 6, it'll be more.

Arizona's three point lead is gone when I assess likely outcomes and gut feelings. I see Buffalo more likely to erase the deficit and pass Arizona outside of the head to heads. Splitting the series won't do. Arizona needs to win two, with at least one in regulation, during our head to head. Frankly, they may need to win two in regulation.

Both us and the Yotes have played 9 games in March...as bad as they've been, they have only gained 1 point on us. In real NHL terms they're 1-7-1 and we're 1-6-2. They have the tiebreaker on us by 4 ROW, so add a half point to our lead. Even if we don't gain ground, if we're 3.5 up heading into the series and split, that puts us 3.5 up with 6 games to go (I'm assuming we drop to the Avs in regulation). We'd need to pick up 33% of remaining points to lose 30th assuming Arizona picks up zero in that same span. We've earned 22% of available points this month, so we'd have to outperform our recent pace by 50% to lose the Shart.

Short version: Go into the Arizona series with our current lead and split, and we're golden. Increase our lead before then, and we can afford to be on the worse end of the series. If our lead is less heading into it? Then start clenching.

I feel good.

I hate this post, if only because I see the last 10 games unfolding the exact same way.  If the Sabres want 30th, they'll need to completely collapse against Arizona and we aren't playing nearly as poorly as they are.

I hate this post, if only because I see the last 10 games unfolding the exact same way. If the Sabres want 30th, they'll need to completely collapse against Arizona and we aren't playing nearly as poorly as they are.

Yes, we really are. 1-7-1 vs 1-6-2 this month. If not for Lindback being hilariously lucky, we'd be 0-6-2.

I hate this post, if only because I see the last 10 games unfolding the exact same way.  If the Sabres want 30th, they'll need to completely collapse against Arizona and we aren't playing nearly as poorly as they are.

I HATE my post, too!

Hey Neo,

Our roof held.  The big rain didn't happen, but a slow melt overnight.  No leaking.

I just spoke with our plow guy.  They will be back in about an hour and a half to clear some of the snow around the house. A friend and Brother (we Muslims call each other Brother and Sister) is also coming to help out.

The problem now is that even if we manage to clear some of the snow out of the way for the roofers to have an access point everything (on the roof and everywhere) is going to freeze up rock solid as the temp is going to drop to below -10C over the next few days.  Then the temp is supposed to go up later in the week with some showers.

Anyway, I'm sure those calls you envision have happened already.  What a poop fest for the league this tank fest has turned into.  The NHL should bar both the Sabres and Yotes from drafting either of the big 2.

Yes, we really are. 1-7-1 vs 1-6-2 this month. If not for Lindback being hilariously lucky, we'd be 0-6-2.

"If not for our goaltending we'd be running away with this thing." = what we've been saying for 72 games so far.  But, yeah, any second now our goaltending will collapse...

If Lindback hadn't been so lucky, an entire game would have disappeared?

Games only count as played if we get points. Because Buffalo.

"If not for our goaltending we'd be running away with this thing." = what we've been saying for 72 games so far. But, yeah, any second now our goaltending will collapse...

It did collapse. Overall our goaltending had been poor this season.

Both us and the Yotes have played 9 games in March...as bad as they've been, they have only gained 1 point on us. In real NHL terms they're 1-7-1 and we're 1-6-2. They have the tiebreaker on us by 4 ROW, so add a half point to our lead. Even if we don't gain ground, if we're 3.5 up heading into the series and split, that puts us 3.5 up with 6 games to go (I'm assuming we drop to the Avs in regulation). We'd need to pick up 33% of remaining points to lose 30th assuming Arizona picks up zero in that same span. We've earned 22% of available points this month, so we'd have to outperform our recent pace by 50% to lose the Shart.

Short version: Go into the Arizona series with our current lead and split, and we're golden. Increase our lead before then, and we can afford to be on the worse end of the series. If our lead is less heading into it? Then start clenching.

I feel good.

Good post TrueBlue

Yup.  29 and hope we don't drop a spot in the lottery.

Games only count as played if we get points. Because Buffalo.

It did collapse. Overall our goaltending had been poor this season.

Only if you're looking at this season as the average of 246 periods of hockey (plus overtimes and SO's).  

But it's not.  It's 82 individual outcomes.  And out of the 47 points the Sabres currently have, how many are because we had a goaltender stand on his head and save the day -- earning us a point or even 2 points.  Lindback just did it against Boston.  

How many points do Arizona and Edmonton have from goalies standing on their head?

Moreover, even if the numbers for Enroth, Neuvirth, and Lindback aren't that good, their stats aren't telling the whole story by any stretch.  Our goaltenders are under siege in almost every game.  Having a GAA in the ~3.00 range on this team is great goaltending.

Assuming it stays a 2 way race, which would necessarily keep the tiebreaker in the Sabres favor (a lead of 4 in ROW), then w/ 40 points left to be given away; the Sabres Magic # is 17; the DD's need 24 points to go their way.

Split w/ the DD's and of 32 points available, the Sabres M# becomes 13 and it's 20 for the DD's. (aka if the Sabres go 6-1-1 they clinch regardless of what the DD's do)

Give the DD's all 4 points available and w/ 32 available, the Sabres M# stays 17 and it's 16 for the DD's. (aka even if the Sabres go 8-0-0 they'd still need the DD's to leave at least 1 point on the table (and for every point the Sabres leave, add that to the total help the Sabres need above the single point))

Give the Sabres all 4 and w/ 32 available, the Sabres M# drops to 9 and it stays 24 for the DD's. (aka Sabres clinch going 4-3-1 regardless of what the DD's do)