Prediction time: who's gonna be the captain?

nfreeman

Who's the fearless leader?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Teddy choose as captain? (This question is for your prediction as to Teddy's choice, not your preference.)

• Myers
    • Gorges
    • Weber
    • Gionta
    • Ennis
    • Stafford
    • Girgensons
    • Hodgson
    • Moulson
  2. 2. If it were up to you, who would you choose as captain?

• Myers
    • Gorges
    • Weber
    • Risto
    • Gionta
    • Ennis
    • Stafford
    • Girgensons
    • Hodgson
    • Moulson
    • Foligno
    • Reinhart
    • No permanent captain -- rotating captaincy
  3. 3. Who will Teddy choose as alternates (choose 2)?

• Myers
    • Gorges
    • Weber
    • Risto
    • Gionta
    • Ennis
    • Stafford
    • Girgensons
    • Hodgson
    • Moulson
    • Foligno
    • Reinhart

Teddy mentioned the other day on WGR that he's going to choose the captain this year.

Who's it going to be? One of the vet imports or one of the homegrown guys? And will it be a youngster or a veteran?

Gionta was the captain of the Habs for 4 years, which may make him the front-runner, but I kinda think Teddy won't pick someone new to the Sabres.

I'll predict that Teddy chooses Myers as C, with Girgensons and Ennis as the As.

If it were up to me, I'd give the C to Myers.

Let's have 'em.

I think TN would give it to Gionta, but being a newcomer, maybe only an "A" for him. Moulson because he did play for the team before (well, for a few months, anyway). Ennis is the other alternate - he seems like he could be a leader and he often discusses plays with the officials anyway. I think Myers should just concentrate on playing his game - he's already shown he is easily sidetracked. The burden of wearing the "C" could adversely affect his play.

I'll be shocked if it's not Gionta. I thought it was going to be Girgensons, but that was prior to free agency. I'm not the first to say my money is on Gionta-Gorges-Moulson.

Edit: if it were up to me, I'd still go Gionta with the C, but I'd find a way to get Girgensons an A. Not sure if it'd be from Moulson or Gorges though.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I wouldn't be shocked. Gionta doesn't need a letter. He's that type of guy.

And I don't think that's a particularly strong reason to select anyone else, since it implies whoever does get it needs it to lead. I'll revisit the discussion I had with D4rk in another thread: if somebody needs a letter to lead, I don't want them getting that letter.

And I don't think that's a particularly strong reason to select anyone else, since it implies whoever does get it needs it to lead. I'll revisit the discussion I had with D4rk in another thread: if somebody needs a letter to lead, I don't want them getting that letter.

My reasoning goes more like this, Gorges isn't in a second place category at all. He could captain any team in the NHL, IMO.

Gionta will be a leader with a letter or not. He's 35 with a 3 year contract which takes him to 38. He's already a leader, so you don't have to give him a letter you might have to take away in a year or two if you need to cut his ice-time as age creeps in.

My reasoning goes more like this, Gorges isn't in a second place category at all. He could captain any team in the NHL, IMO.

Gionta will be a leader with a letter or not. He's 35 with a 3 year contract which takes him to 38. He's already a leader, so you don't have to give him a letter you might have to take away in a year or two if you need to cut his ice-time as age creeps in.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. I agree that Gionta doesn't need a letter. But if he's not getting it because he doesn't need it, and Gorges can captain your team and isn't really a second choice, doesn't it logically follow that Gorges doesn't need a letter either? Taking the "Gionta doesn't need it so he won't get it" reasoning to its logical conclusion, then only players who need a letter to lead should get a letter.

I just don't think "Gionta doesn't need it" is a particularly strong justification for him not getting it.

Edit: your second point makes a lot of sense, but somehow I fixated on the first point in my response. I certainly don't want another Craig Rivet situation.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Very good point, but I still say they signed him for three years with the intent of making him captain, then passing the torch to Girgensons when he retires.

Stafford proved a lot to me last season under Nolan. He is the longest tenured Sabre (I'm pretty sure). He has been through a lot with this team. I used to think / dream that by giving Stafford the C it would be his ticket out of here, seeing the trend on the trading of Sabre captains. Now, I would give Stafford the C based on merit. I think coach Nolan does the same.

As for the As ... I think Myers will wear an A every game. Girgensons and Moulson will rotate the other A ... Moulson will wear it for away games, Girgensons will wear it for home games. Not to blow up the poll I voted Moulson and Myers for the A.

If / when Stafford is traded Myers will get the C, IMHO. I don't see Girgensons wearing the C on a permanent basis. I don't want my great 3rd line centre wearing the C, but that's just me.

All that said, I believe Gionta will be the "real" leader of this team. That is why he is here and count me in the camp that says he does not need to wear a letter to be that guy.

Well, my friend in the GTA, at least you didn't power puke and have to get a new computer .........

;)

Many on board would have a similar reaction to my post, but I stand by it.

Hahahhah very nice.

I must say that I'm already missing the fresh seafood out there you lucky bastard.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.