Do u think Buffalo has any interest in Kevin Hayes

SabresBillsFan

The Hawks would get a compensatory pick at the end? of the 2nd round but it would not come from the team that signs him. If he makes it to Aug 16th he is an UFA same as any other UFA

http://sports.yahoo....-141345214.html

No, they get a 2nd round where Hayes was chosen in the first, which is 24 I believe, so that would be 54. My reading of the CBA is that Lanny is right, there is no direct compensation from the team that signs.

Edited by rakish

No, they get a 2nd round where Hayes was chosen in the first, which is 24 I believe, so that would be 54. My reading of the CBA is that Lanny is right, there is no direct compensation from the team that signs.

Okay so pick 54, but still we agree at midnight he becomes an UFA with no further ties to Chicago.

You've got it. They get the pick in the second round which corresponds to where he was originally selected in the first. Everyone behind that slot in the second round just gets pushed back one slot. No one loses a pick, there is just one additional pick added to the draft (ie. there will be 31 picks in the 2nd round).

I came here specifically looking for this thread...SIGN HIM TOMORROW!

I am a little biased, given we share the same last name...so ya know, the whole jersey thing would be cool! Lol.

However, I am curious...why in the world does a team get an extra draft pick for failing to sign their prospects?

Did Buffalo get any compensation for losing/not signing Marek Zagrapan? (Or was that a different situation?)

I just don't understand how the NHL can reward one of their elite teams for failing to do their job...makes no sense.

EDIT: I'd have to think it's already in the bag he is headed for Calgary to join his former linemates in college at BC...I suspect a little bit of tampering is going on, as well...put in an offer and if you lose out on him, call them out on the tampering Timmy!

Edited by Bob Malooga

EDIT: I'd have to think it's already in the bag he is headed for Calgary to join his former linemates in college at BC...I suspect a little bit of tampering is going on, as well...put in an offer and if you lose out on him, call them out on the tampering Timmy!

Players can talk all they want. Just look at Parise/Suter from two years ago. They straight up admitted that they talked about the idea during the middle of the season.

Players can talk all they want. Just look at Parise/Suter from two years ago. They straight up admitted that they talked about the idea during the middle of the season.

I was joking with that part of it, given all the recruitment in all sports the past couple years.

I was REALLY hoping you would, instead, focus on explaining the other part to me, as I don't understand it? :unsure:

However, I am curious...why in the world does a team get an extra draft pick for failing to sign their prospects?

Did Buffalo get any compensation for losing/not signing Marek Zagrapan? (Or was that a different situation?)

I just don't understand how the NHL can reward one of their elite teams for failing to do their job...makes no sense.

From wiki:

When teams lose their rights to a first round draft choice, because that player was not signed to a contract and consequently re-entered the entry draft or became an unrestricted free agent, they are awarded a compensatory draft pick. This selection will be the same numerical choice as the first round draft pick who was not signed, but in the second round. For example, if a team cannot sign the seventh overall first round draft choice, it will receive the seventh pick in the second round of the next draft as compensation.

Marek Zagrapan was drafted in the first round and the Sabres signed him to an entry-level contract. He proceeded to play for Rochester and Portland, vastly underachieving. He failed to earn a spot with Buffalo, so he split for Europe. Buffalo is not awarded a compensatory pick, because they signed Zagrapan to a contract.

In Kevin Hayes' case, he was drafted in the first round, and went to the NCAA, which delayed his requirement to be signed. When he graduated, he and the Blackhawks failed to agree to an entry-level contract, making Hayes a UFA as of midnight (I think) tonight. Because he went directly from 1st round selection to UFA, the Blackhawks are awarded a compensatory 2nd round pick. In this case, it's 54th overall.

There's an expectation by hockey clubs that a player they select in the first round will agree to sign with them. If they do not, then they're out a first round draft pick, which is a considerable asset and could be especially damaging to a franchise that's trying to rebuild (not Chicago, obv). The estimated net loss of a first round pick and gain of a second round pick is estimated to be one or two second round picks or more, depending on how high that first pick is. That's still a hefty setback in asset management terms.

In these recent cases of coveted NCAA players graduating and refusing to sign with their teams (see also Justin Schultz), it has been the decision of the player and not the decision of the team. The CBA in this case was designed to prevent a total loss of a first round pick because a single player decides to snub the team that had an unrequited belief in them.

In the case of Hayes, PuckDaddy speculates on reasons why he may feel justified to bail on the Hawks:

There have been a lot of reasons for this decision by Hayes advanced, and a few of them sound fairly credible. He's a right wing, for one thing, and the Blackhawks have more than enough help on that side between Patrick Kane, Marian Hossa, Kris Versteeg, and Ben Smith. Further, Chicago had previously drafted Hayes's older brother Jimmy (a Toronto second-rounder) who spent a few seasons toiling in the Blackhawks system, not really getting a prolonged shot at the NHL, before being traded to Florida last season. Depending upon whom you believe, the divorce might not have been that amicable.

There's also the matter of Kevin Hayes probably feeling like he deserves at least a half-decent shot at the NHL, given that he torched college hockey for 65 points in 40 games this past season, playing alongside Hobey Baker winner Johnny Gaudreau, who had the single most impressive college season since Paul Kariya put up 100 points in 39 games in the early 1990s.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Some information on Hayes and his possible destination plus salary info.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24664967/nhl-rumors-kevin-hayes-narrowing-list-of-teams-more-meetings-monday

It's important to manage expectations, however. The reason Hayes is so attractive to so many teams has as much to do with price as it does his potential. The fact that he can be signed to no more than the maximum under the entry-level system, which would include a maximum base salary of $925,000, is a big part of what makes him so valuable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.