(OT) Robin Williams died today

Weave

Jeff Bridges was on Stern this morning and while listening on ny commute I told myself I'd watch one of his movies tonight. With the Robin Williams news it had to be The Fisher King, I just finished it on Netflix. Brilliant.

It is a great Film, Terry Giliam (sp) directed……..A really great movie.

This is the priced paid for genius it appears. Robin Williams is yet another victim of his own talents. The ability to see the world in such a way that daily life becomes unbearable. I don't think any of us will ever fully understand why the likes of Robin Williams, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and others who create so much art feel the need to destroy themselves in the process. It's Faustian in a way.

Jesus. So unexpected... I knew he'd struggled with addiction but thought he'd come all the way back and was well. So sad.

I read an interview with the manager of an L.A. comedy club who'd known him for decades (sorry I can't provide a link) -- she said that, while she was widely thought to have known him well, she never really knew him; he was always full of voices and characters, but that he always seemed to be in pain underneath it all. Tears of a clown, as Smokey once sang.

I also saw this posted on my Facebook feed, and loved it. (Volume is low -- you will need to turn it up.)

http://youtu.be/Vz-K74MG6RU

I knew I really liked the man's work, but I'm not certain I understood how much he meant to me until now. I'm honestly heartbroken by this news.

Good Morning Vietnam, Dead Poets Society, Aladdin, Mrs. Doubtfire, Jumanji, The Birdcage, Good Will Hunting, What Dreams May Come, Patch Adams, Insomnia...

These are all movies I watched more than twice. We are losing great actors at a troubling pace this year.

this. I went through a mental list last night and was shocked at how many movies I just absolutely love of his! This is sad! :(

The man was a unique talent - he really set the comedy world on its ear when he broke out. Others before him did impressions, voices and characters, but Robin Williams did all three in one sentence. The fact that he could act, really seriously act was both a surprise and a delight. The entertainment world was never the same after he came along. He will be sorely missed and fondly thought of.

Also there are no true Bacall films on Netflix right now. What a travesty. How to Marry a Millionaire will have to do.

Just about the only one I'm not worried about is Jeff Bridges.

The Dude abides.

Don't make me nervous.

Has anyone called Clint today?

There is less than 8 of the golden age left now. Letterman doesn't fall into that category, but Eastwood, Wrikles, White, Sutherland and a very few others do.

Williams is a tragic loss, such a great performer, made millions, including myself, laugh.

It's as it always will be, one generation is now passed in almost entirety, the next is starting to see some losses.

There is less than 8 of the golden age left now. Letterman doesn't fall into that category, but Eastwood, Wrikles, White, Sutherland and a very few others do.

Williams is a tragic loss, such a great performer, made millions, including myself, laugh.

It's as it always will be, one generation is now passed in almost entirety, the next is starting to see some losses.

Couldn't be more true. Robin Williams was one my favorite actors. It didn't matter what type of role he had. Williams could pull it off. He was a comedic genius, and the amount of wittiness the guy had was amazing. I'm glad I grew up watching the guy. Missed a little of Mork and Mindy, wasn't born until the early 80's, but did catch plenty of reruns. And the movies Williams made as I got older were a lot of fun to watch. Pure entertainment. And what I enjoy most now is watching Robin Williams movies, one's that are appropriate of course, w/ my kids. It's unfortunate his life ended this way. Prayers are w/ his family. May Robin Williams rest in peace.

Serious question: is it OK to judge Robin Williams and be disappointed in him for doing this? He left behind 3 children, who now have to go through life without a father, as well as his wife.

I apologize if this is insensitive or offensive -- just wondering whether anyone knows or has any thoughts about this.

Serious question: is it OK to judge Robin Williams and be disappointed in him for doing this? He left behind 3 children, who now have to go through life without a father, as well as his wife.

I apologize if this is insensitive or offensive -- just wondering whether anyone knows or has any thoughts about this.

I don't judge him, but I definitely feel bad for how tortured he was if he felt that this was his only option. His kids are grown up so I would imagine that they were well aware of what a mess he was.

The answer IMPO is both yes and no. Depression is very serious and Mental Disease of any kind is, but in this country we do almost nothing to help people with these types of diseases. So it shows a failing on America as a whole because we do so little to help people cope with Mental Health issues. Sorry to say prescribing drugs isn't the best way to deal with every single mental health issue.

That being said I do judge him a little because my father has severe depression and has said he wouldn't do anything to himself because of his kids.

So my final thought is I judge him a little but I wasn't him and do not know how bad it was so I can't really hold it against him. I only wish he could have gotten the help he needed.

Edited by LGR4GM

I think it's understandable to judge him, but, typically in the cases of depression related suicide, he would have been completely incapable of recognizing anything other than he was ending his pain and everyone else would be better off.

In his mind, he was not capable of recognizing any of the negatives you've listed. They are real though, the whole world is worse off, especially his family, because of the actions he took that night.

So, I think judging him is understandable, his family has to live with the pain. But thinking he could have made a different choice that night might be a little too far. It may be better if we all learn a little bit about suicide, about the signs, about the things we can do to reach out to people who are hurting, because they physically can't, oftentimes, reach out to us.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

No, it's not okay. It'd be like being mad at somebody for dying of cancer when they had children. He had a disease and it took his life.

Fair question, though. This is just my opinion.

Edited by Tankalicious

I think it's understandable to judge him, but, typically in the cases of depression related suicide, he would have been completely incapable of recognizing anything other than he was ending his pain and everyone else would be better off.

In his mind, he was not capable of recognizing any of the negatives you've listed. They are real though, the whole world is worse off, especially his family, because of the actions he took that night.

So, I think judging him is understandable, his family has to live with the pain. But thinking he could have made a different choice that night might be a little too far. It may be better if we all learn a little bit about suicide, about the signs, about the things we can do to reach out to people who are hurting, because they physically can't, oftentimes, reach out to us.

As always, intelligently and compassionately stated. Good man.

Still: how do we know the bolded parts? Aren't most people who have suicidal thoughts able to overcome them? Not arguing, just asking.

Anyone see what Rush Limbaugh had to say about Robin Williams' death? Or Lewis Black's retort?

complete ignorance in my opinion, and that's Rush but it is not excusable though.

As always, intelligently and compassionately stated. Good man.

Still: how do we know the bolded parts? Aren't most people who have suicidal thoughts able to overcome them? Not arguing, just asking.

Most, I'm not sure. My mom overcame them because of a by-chance meeting with someone. sometimes, people only overcome them because something off-chance (luck) happens (i.e. a nice gesture at a store, a phone call from a relative they don't hear from often, etc.).

One of my best friend's dads could not overcome them. I've seen it go both ways. I haven't seen any science as to who or how or why certain people can overcome them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.