Cities without championships since 1964

Eleven

I've been a fan of the Bills since the late 60's and the Sabres since their beginning. I've stated many times over the years that I just want to witness either one win a championship. As I hit my mid 50's, I'd prefer to see the Sabres hoist the Cup over the Bills winning a SB, but I am starting to get the feeling that neither is going to happen in my lifetime(or at least a point in my life where I can enjoy/partake in the celebration).

I really hope one of them proves me wrong. :cry:

Edited by LabattBlue

I've been a fan of the Bills since the late 60's and the Sabres since their beginning. I've stated many times over the years that I just want to witness either one win a championship. As I hit my mid 50's, I'd prefer to see the Sabres hoist the Cup over the Bills winning a SB, but I am starting to get the feeling it's just neither is going to happen in my lifetime(or at least a point in my life where I can enjoy/partake in the celebration).

I really hope one of them proves me wrong. :cry:

I'm 22 and feel the same way...

To me the only thing worse than a cup-less lifetime as I enter my 70's would be if every other team had at least one to their credit while the Sabres were still cup-less. Who is Sal Cappacio?

I just don't understand this mentality. It's just petty.

Absolutely. Sports fandom is petty.

It sure is. It's why I don't even want to talk to someone if the person is from Miami or Philadelphia. Or Boston, lately, but I have enough other reasons to just think Boston is ######.

I wouldn't call it petty, but I'm near where Inkman is at. Sports has always been something that, in the grand scheme, can only ever add value. Sure, I get a bit down for maybe 24 hours if something majorly disappointing happens but I move on. I do get some extra positive vibes when things are going well in my sports world.

Another Stanley Cup / Super Bowl/ World Series parade in Pittsburgh, Boston or New York? meh,,,. it used to matter to me, but zero fukcs given these days.

A Stanley Cup parade in places like Vancouver or St. Louis with long suffering fan bases like ours? I wouldn't like to see it, but at least I can relate to those fans on a certain level.

A cup parade in somewhere Columbus, Nashville or San Jose with their still wet behind the ears fan bases? No f-ing way man! Call it petty sports fan douchebaggery, but following sports is an escape from real life where petty douchebaggery is not only allowed, but encouraged.

Now should the Sabres win even one Cup, this all changes for me and I'll be actively rooting for teams like Vancouver and St. Louis to get their first if the Sabres are out of contention.

I think.. if you wanted to feel worse about things you should list the number of chances each city has had at winning a title.

Like you referenced, some cities have only had 20 or so shots whereas Buffalo would have had many more than that. Of course 0 is 0 but not having won in 69 attempts and not having won in 20 attempts makes things look so much worse! :)

One could also point out the difference in weather patterns between a city like Buffalo and a city like San Diego.

Or, one could point out the general economic performance of a city like Buffalo vs. a city like Salt Lake City.

Thank god for Cleveland.

In that case, may as well change the thread title to "Things that are depressing."

I feel like a giant equation is building in this thread to decide the most miserable sports cities.

If we could find a way to put a different value on different professional sports and the times each sport has existed professionally while factoring in maybe the weather then you could probably piece together something magical.

San Diego has two teams, their NFL team came into the league the same time as the Bills. BUT, their baseball team started one year before the Sabres.

Now, BFLO is 0 for 6 while San Diego is 0 for 3. The questions is, is BFLO worse since they've had twice as many chances? Or, are they better because they've been to twice as many? Hmmmm......

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I feel like a giant equation is building in this thread to decide the most miserable sports cities.

If we could find a way to put a different value on different professional sports and the times each sport has existed professionally while factoring in maybe the weather then you could probably piece together something magical.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45lhjf/where-they-let-the-fans-down-the-most/

Does making more championship games and still losing them all make a city better or worse? I say better. Sometimes it's good to get a dance with the pretty girl, smell her perfume, accidentally graze her tookus and not take her home afterward than it is to sit at home staring at a wall.

Does making more championship games and still losing them all make a city better or worse? I say better. Sometimes it's good to get a dance with the pretty girl, smell her perfume, accidentally graze her tookus and not take her home afterward than it is to sit at home staring at a wall.

That's a really great question, I'm glad you brought it up.

San Diego has two teams, their NFL team came into the league the same time as the Bills. BUT, their baseball team started one year before the Sabres.

Now, BFLO is 0 for 6 while San Diego is 0 for 3. The questions is, is BFLO worse since they've had twice as many chances? Or, are they better because they've been to twice as many? Hmmmm......

IMO Cleveland has suffered more. At least the Bills have made 4 SB appearances, and the Sabres 2 SC finals appearances. Cleveland with the Indians, Cavs, and Browns...Zero SB appearances, 2 WS appearances, and 1 NBA Finals appearance.

IMO Cleveland has suffered more. At least the Bills have made 4 SB appearances, and the Sabres 2 SC finals appearances. Cleveland with the Indians, Cavs, and Browns...Zero SB appearances, 2 WS appearances, and 1 NBA Finals appearance.

Good point, and they've had 230+ combined years to accomplish that.

Agree.

And since the Browns won four NFL titles before the Super Bowl era, we'll conveniently leave the Bills' two AFL titles of the list!

Tookus?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.