Should Sam Stay or Should He Go Now?

IKnowPhysics

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should Sam Reinhart play Juniors this coming year?

• Hell yes. Let him play his nine games in the NHL, but don't burn a year of his ELC on a tank year. Let him develop.
    • ###### that. Let him play in the NHL. He's got nothing left to prove in Juniors. Worry about contracts later.
    • Nolo contendere, irrumabo mauris.

That's a hard question, because it all depends on him and how he looks in camp.

However, he is the #2 pick for a reason and would have been even if it were another team in that spot. I see no reason to send him back unless he looks completely lost, and we all know that just is not going to happen. I also see no reason to bring in guys like Brian Gionta, and NOT have Samson Reinhart around that guy every single day, like a shadow.

I think quite a few of the kids should be up in the NHL with those coaches and trainers...but there's no need to rush it.

(I do know one thing for sure...Rochester is going to be a lot of fun to watch this year, I kind of want season tickets.)

Only two things can keep him out of the opening night lineup:

1) An inability to keep up physically with NHL men.

2) a much-improved Mikhail Girgorenko

Injury.

Disbanding of the Buffalo Sabres.

Disbanding of the NHL.

Kim Pegula not liking his style.

Unless he looks truly extraordinary, even generational, I'd lean toward sending him back down. It's a rare breed of cat who can look like he belongs in the NHL at 18, and do it in a toxic atmosphere. I wanted Grigorenko to stay up, and I'm colored by that experience. He wasn't ready/expectations were too high/his development was delayed.

Having said all that, I don't know Sam Reinhart from Sam Adams. My opinion might seem rather foolish after we see him in action.

I think TM & TN are leaning towards keeping him, but are open to the conclusion that he isn't ready and will send him down if they get there.

I need to see his 9-game tryout before I deliver my opinion on what they should do.

Certainly I would love to see him tear it up in that tryout and make it clear that he needs to stay.

It was only one July scrimmage but reinhart did nothing last night that screams he's ready to play against men. He was very average during the game and a few camp invitees and late round picks looked better than the second overall pick on this night. I'm not overreacting as it's one event and training camp, exhibition games and likely a nine game tryout is where it will really count. Still, very disappointed in his effort last night. If he keeps it up I want him sent back rather than playing less than ten min a night and running into another grigo situation.

Wow I'm shocked just to hear people talk about these young players where 99% aren't ready yet. It's development camp. People expect these players to stand out like Mario or Wayne. Most players don't burst on the scene like McKinnon did last year but he was talked about many years before he was drafted. Settle down people there are a lot of very good young players coming they just need time to develop.

Wow I'm shocked just to hear people talk about these young players where 99% aren't ready yet. It's development camp. People expect these players to stand out like Mario or Wayne. Most players don't burst on the scene like McKinnon did last year but he was talked about many years before he was drafted. Settle down people there are a lot of very good young players coming they just need time to develop.

Actually, most are deemed ready. 2nd overall picks, that is. Five of the last six have played immediately. Eight of the last eleven would become ten of the last eleven, but JVR took two years in college and Malkin couldn't get out of his contract for two years.

I think TM & TN are leaning towards keeping him, but are open to the conclusion that he isn't ready and will send him down if they get there.

I need to see his 9-game tryout before I deliver my opinion on what they should do.

Certainly I would love to see him tear it up in that tryout and make it clear that he needs to stay.

This.

After what this franchise did with Grigorenko, they need to tread carefully with Reinhart. Let Reinhart's play be the determining factor if he stays or heads back to junior.

Keeping Samson up doesn't jive with the things Nolan has said about young players, and doesn't jive with the general statements Murray has made on player development.

Murray has played lip service to the possibility of keeping Reinhart here, but I think it's only that.

If the organization sticks to "the plan", we won't see Samson for two full seasons. Relatedly, we won't see Zadarov or Grigorenko for at least another full season. Player development is supposed to rule the day.

The equation COMPLETELY changes when you're talking about a top 2-3 pick.

Keeping him up doesn't go against anything that has been said. They have never said that they'll move everybody at a snail's pace. All indications have been that they'll move players at THEIR pace based on what TM/TN think is their pace.

If Samson is ready he'll be here. He's a second overall pick so it is fair to expect him to be here. It's also fair to believe that he may not be like most high-end picks and may need a little more time.

I would really like to see him in a sabres jersey this season. While I think he is ready talent wise, I'm a little worried he might not be big enough to defend himself quite yet. I could see it being a Drouin like scenario. I know he's shorter but at 6'1 I'd like to see him at 200 not 180. That being said, he's smart so maybe that will come into play. Hopefully we get to see him play some heavy minutes in exhibition.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.