French Connection Day

That Aud Smell

Hey, at least I can catch the final 59 seconds--thanks!

IIRC, there were quite a few stoppages in the last minute. If the puck was anywhere near skates along the boards in those days and wasn't moving, whistle. I distinctly recall thinking it wasn't too late for a comeback. Just get one, and with 11 seconds left... plenty of time. That little kid is still waiting to have his faith rewarded.

7-11-14.

Have a good one.

Brilliant!

IIRC, there were quite a few stoppages in the last minute. If the puck was anywhere near skates along the boards in those days and wasn't moving, whistle. I distinctly recall thinking it wasn't too late for a comeback. Just get one, and with 11 seconds left... plenty of time. That little kid is still waiting to have his faith rewarded.

You remember correctly. Those 59 seconds took about five minutes.

One of the best rule changes ever, IMO, was getting rid of that ability to freeze the puck and stop play.

You remember correctly. Those 59 seconds took about five minutes.

One of the best rule changes ever, IMO, was getting rid of that ability to freeze the puck and stop play.

Whatever happened to the quick faceoff deal they tried a few seasons ago? It seems to have gone away.

Whatever happened to the quick faceoff deal they tried a few seasons ago? It seems to have gone away.

It is still much better than it was.

This was even brutal when it came out. :lol:

You know they're gonna make a lotta dough.

http://www.sabresalumni.com/media/audio/jukebox/the_french_connection.mp3

Edited by X. Benedict

Outstanding.

There will never be another line like that one.

If I could go back in time to witness one sports thing I missed it would be this line. I rank it above the '77 Cotton Bowl, 1983 World Series, and even the 1980 Winter Olymic Hockey Tournament. The French connection is the thing I have the least ability to understand because I never saw it in action.

Cool! It seems really recent that we had 7/14/11, eh?

Anyway, this is the best one, right, since they're in the correct order? Martin LW, Perreault Center, Robert RW?

Of course, I know people here have argued before here that you should list them in order C-LW-RW rather than LW-C-RW :)

Cool! It seems really recent that we had 7/14/11, eh?

Anyway, this is the best one, right, since they're in the correct order? Martin LW, Perreault Center, Robert RW?

Of course, I know people here have argued before here that you should list them in order C-LW-RW rather than LW-C-RW :)

That just gives us another day to celebrate.

If I could go back in time to witness one sports thing I missed it would be this line. I rank it above the '77 Cotton Bowl, 1983 World Series, and even the 1980 Winter Olymic Hockey Tournament. The French connection is the thing I have the least ability to understand because I never saw it in action.

That is sad really. I enjoyed them. My first memories of hockey are my mother and father taking me to the Aud game after game and cheering them on.

If you have a few minutes, here is a great article about #11: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/213593-gilbert-perreault-the-forgotten-frenchman

Yet for me at the time, and then watching the games 20 years later on DVD, the best player on the Canadian team was Perreault.

He ended the series with eight points, four goals, and four assists, one behind Orr and Potvin. Those certainly weren’t dominating numbers in seven games. He didn’t score the overtime winner in the final game like Sittler did. It wasn’t his last kick at the can like it was for Hull or Orr so he wasn’t by a long stretch the sentimental favourite. Starting with the 11-3 roll up of the Finns, though, he played like a dispossessed man in search of redemption.

He created chances every time he was on the ice. He made three or four end-to-end rushes every game. He’d cut though entire teams of players and no other team on earth could deal with him.

The Swedes with Borje Salming couldn’t stop him. The quick skating Russians and the tight-checking Czechs could not deal with his speed and ability. He was always a force whenever he was on the ice.

In a lineup with Shutt and Lafleur, Hull and Dionne, Clarke and Esposito, Gainey and Leach, and Pete Mahovlich and Darryl Sittler, he was head and shoulders above the rest.

If you have a few minutes, here is a great article about #11: http://bleacherrepor...otten-frenchman

I don't think Marcel Dionne overshadowed Perreault at any point in their careers, which seems to be a theme of that article. Lafleur, certainly. But Perreault was not playing in Dionne's shadow.

Edited by Eleven

I don't think Marcel Dionne overshadowed Perreault at any point in their careers, which seems to be a theme of that article. Lafleur, certainly. But Perreault was not playing in Dionne's shadow.

I agree that Dionne did not overshadow Perreault in a "no one appreciated Gilbert because Dionne was so amazing" sense. I think it was more a case of the 2 of them usually being in the top-5 scorers/elite centers mix and Dionne usually ending up nosing out Perreault in the scoring race.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.