Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

After the insanity today it's amazing to think that the Islanders big moves amounted to the signing of TJ Brennan, Cory Conacher, and Chad Johnson.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a chemical leak on Long Island. They might be in a better position to hit rock bottom than the Sabres. One could only imagine the Sabres and Islanders finishing 29 and 30. That would be beyond ridiculous even if the Sabres DIDN'T win the lottery.

Oi.

Am I getting greedy? After today I am still going over the list of available free agents thinking that a Radim Vrbata and a Michael Del Zotto would be a decent day two for the Sabres.

Vrbata has a heavy list of suitors. No "need" for him now. Del Zotto: meh.

For the right price, I'd be glad to have Vrbata.

Not a big fan of the idea to bring in Del Zotto.

He's 24 and his career numbers are strikingly similar to Myers. Sign him and if you can get Myers and Del Zotto turned around you have a top pairing for the next 10 years. As a UFA, you're not giving anything up except time and money. IMO, Del Zotto would be a great risk to take, it's all reward.

He's 24 and his career numbers are strikingly similar to Myers. Sign him and if you can get Myers and Del Zotto turned around you have a top pairing for the next 10 years. As a UFA, you're not giving anything up except time and money. IMO, Del Zotto would be a great risk to take, it's all reward.

Didn't realize he was that young. Sure, if they can get him cheap enough.

Saw this on another forum..... "Anyone else see this French radio station citing a deal is being finished between us and Ottawa sending out Hodgson and Stewart?"

Anyone know about this??

We'd like Lazar please....

You mean this...

@6thSens heard on French radio Stewart and hodgson coming to ottawa

He has less followers then I do

Edited by BRAWNDO

Friends...I haven't even listened to any audio or watched any video from today, but, have we not had perhaps the best week in Sabre-land that we have had in, what, a decade or more? What an exciting and exceptionally interesting past five or so days. Pat Lafontaine whatever, this was as good as or better than anticipated. I will savor it at least until November.

Edited by sizzlemeister

Friends...I haven't even listened to any audio or watched any video from today, but, have we not had perhaps the best week in Sabre-land that we have had in, what, a decade or more? What an exciting and exceptionally interesting past five or so days. Pat Lafontaine whatever, this was as good as or better than anticipated. I will savor it at least until November.

Well put Sizzle. Knowing what is coming June 26, 2015 and July 1, 2015 will help us get through the doldrums of this upcoming season.

To me, this is where having TP as the owner comes into play.

This is (darn near literally) the 1st GOOD day in 20 years for the Sabres that we don't have to say 'savor it while it lasts because it'll be gone quickly.'

When they had Dom, they didn't spend money on skaters w/out contract holdouts. Even in 2000 when they were bringing in Gilmour, 57, Audette, & Andreychuk; there was the Peca holdout to take some of the savoring away. The Briere/Drury years had the Sabres very own cap and a knowledge some guys inevitably would go. There was always a cloud on the horizon.

This is a darn fine day in Sabres land. For the 1st time in a long time, it feels good; even though this year will not put a strong product out there, you just KNOW a good team is on the way - much like the early 70's teams. Maybe, like those 70's teams, this one won't get over the top. It's ok, cause the journey is a big part of it. (Darn, I'm rambling again.)

I think the Sabres acquitted themselves well. I think it speaks well of the new culture that two players we traded at the deadline returned. The only thing that would have made it better would have been signing Stastny. Or maybe bringing Otter back. Ott's still in play, yes? But even if he goes elsewhere, this was a good free agent season. I really hope Samson makes the club and has a productive year. If not, hopefully he'll be learning and building for the future, like the rest of the team.

Oh... and my avatar is starting to "feel right" again.

06ce0f5f97fc7cb04ac5a8f388f5ff4d_normal.jpegBruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch · 7h

Murray says he is in the process of trying to get another deal done. Prospect in the package. Deal is close but not done. #Sens

I know Brian Murray has wanted Stewart for awhile, even when the was still on the Blues. With the trade of Spezza it will be interesting to see what direction they are heading in rebuild or attempt to make the playoffs.

I know Brian Murray has wanted Stewart for awhile, even when the was still on the Blues. With the trade of Spezza it will be interesting to see what direction they are heading in rebuild or attempt to make the playoffs.

"We sure could use one more NHL centre," says Murray. #Sens

Stewart + Hodgson would make sense for both teams....just depends on the return. I'd ask for Lazar but doubt we could get him.

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Just got back from adult league hockey after watching the U.S. get outclassed by Belgium, but played with a lot of heart and started reading about all the Sabres moves and who am I impressed by TM. Ah their is a light and TM saw that it was good.

"We sure could use one more NHL centre," says Murray. #Sens

Stewart + Hodgson would make sense for both teams....just depends on the return. I'd ask for Lazar but doubt we could get him.

Lazar or who else does Murray know about in their farm system?

Edited by Icehole

He wasn't that bad here in Nashville. He just wasn't able to crack the Preds top-4, which is already loaded with really good offensive defensemen (Weber, Josi, Jones, Ellis). If the contract was reasonable, he'd be an okay pickup.

Lazar or who else does Murray know about in their farm system?

There's the wildcard in this. I'm okay with keeping Hodgson. But I have to remember that GMTM knows what's in Ottawa's farm system, has seen them up close. If he thinks he can upgrade by trading CoHo, I have to say I can't really disagree.

There's the wildcard in this. I'm okay with keeping Hodgson. But I have to remember that GMTM knows what's in Ottawa's farm system, has seen them up close. If he thinks he can upgrade by trading CoHo, I have to say I can't really disagree.

Lets make it fun:

Hodgson + Stewart + Grigorenko + 2015 2nd for Lazar + Prince + 2015 1st

Looking at CapGeek, I still think we could be in the market for one more veteran defenseman with a short-term reasonable contract (I assume Risto & Pysyk are on the Sabres next year, but we'll need a non-rookie 7th defenseman).

I also think we could use one more center option if Reinhart isn't ready for the NHL immediately. If we've learned anything from Darcy it is not to rush kids who aren't ready into the lineup.

So, I still think we'll make another move or two and it need not be via free agency. A trade with a team that needs cap space might be an option.

Tomorrow I want to see something similar to one of these below (Murray you raised expectations!)

Hodgson + Stewart + 2nd to OTT

for C.Lazar + S. Prince

Hodgson + Grigorenko + Enroth + 2015 1st (STL) to WPG

for Evander Kane + Ondrej Pavelec (Tank Commander) + 2015 1st (WPG)

Myers + 2nd to DET

for Nyquist/Mantha + 1st

3rd in 2015 to PHI

for Vinny L. + 2nd in 2015

Ott signed to a 1 year 4 million deal for deadline trade bait again (probably unrealistic, so 2 year deal)

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Great post.

This was the best Sabres time since we signed Ehrhoff and Leino. Hope it turns out better than that did. I think it will.

Murray says he is in the process of trying to get another deal done. Prospect in the package. Deal is close but not done. #Sens

You guys underestimate Hodgson's value. But I agree his lack of mention in recent Murray statements was a very noticeable tell. And his value to us is less with Reinhart here. Murray takes what he wants and pays the price. If Hodgson is the price for Lazar, I hope he pays it. Helps the tank and brings us closer to the Cup. Kid is another Girgs.

I'd give him a Meszaros-type deal. We could use another D. At worst he's an upgrade on McBain.

To me, this is where having TP as the owner comes into play.

This is (darn near literally) the 1st GOOD day in 20 years for the Sabres that we don't have to say 'savor it while it lasts because it'll be gone quickly.'

When they had Dom, they didn't spend money on skaters w/out contract holdouts. Even in 2000 when they were bringing in Gilmour, 57, Audette, & Andreychuk; there was the Peca holdout to take some of the savoring away. The Briere/Drury years had the Sabres very own cap and a knowledge some guys inevitably would go. There was always a cloud on the horizon.

This is a darn fine day in Sabres land. For the 1st time in a long time, it feels good; even though this year will not put a strong product out there, you just KNOW a good team is on the way - much like the early 70's teams. Maybe, like those 70's teams, this one won't get over the top. It's ok, cause the journey is a big part of it. (Darn, I'm rambling again.)

Well said.

Edited by dudacek

You guys underestimate Hodgson's value. But I agree his lack of mention in recent Murray statements was a very noticeable tell. And his value to us is less with Reinhart here. Murray takes what he wants and pays the price. If Hodgson is the price for Lazar, I hope he pays it. Helps the tank and brings us closer to the Cup. Kid is another Girgs.

Paul Hamilton made the same point yesterday that a lot of posters are making now: GMTM just doesn't talk about Hodgson. He and Nolan do say good things about Ennis though and he'd probably be the one they keep.

Love the idea of Lazar but I wonder if that could ever happen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.