Sometimes I break more than a sweat...

Ottosmagic13

So I'm curious Sabre Space, what's the worst injury you've sustained playing sports? Not necessarily just in hockey, but in any athletic endeavor?

Mine would be breaking my ribs playing travel hockey (either Bantam or Midget level). Pile up in front of the net and I came down on someone's knee like an upside-down "back breaker" and broke one rib, cracked two others and bruised a bunch of stuff. Worse part was I thought I had just got the wind knocked out of me so I played another shift, got checked by a shorter guy (I'm 6'3") right in the midsection and blacked out due the pain. My dad was a coach at the time and everyone told me he was over the boards and on the ice before the ref even blew the whistle (legal hit so play continued for a bit).

Let me tell you breaking ribs is horrible, you use muscles that agrevaite ribs injuries for everything. Breathing? Hurt. Coughing? Hurt. Laughing? Hurt. Getting up from a chair? Hurt. Going to the bathroom? Hurt. No comfortable position to sit (especially in the chair desk combo things that schools have). Also had to sleep in a Laz-z-boy for the first couple of nights cause I sleep on my side and that hurt, so I was in pain and sleep deprived.

I don't recommend it.

I'd say I've been pretty lucky in that regard (knock on wood)... mostly because I didn't do anything athletic growing up, so smaller sample size, haha. The worst I've done is slam my knees on a patch of ice while snowboarding. Hurt like a mofo, and had me limping all the way to the car after. And stupid me didn't realize I should've taken measures to avoid swelling after, so I was gimpy and tie-dye colors for almost 2 weeks.

Ribs sound awful... didn't chz break a rib a while back?

Edited by biodork

Took a wooden baseball bat to the face playing tee ball when the batter accidentally threw the bat. Shattered my nose and eye socket at age 6 or 7. it was awesome... <_<

had 30 something stitches because the bat splintered in my face, and they repaired my nose incorrectly...leaving my nose/nasal cavity crooked and thin...makes allergy season a mother#####

Took a wooden baseball bat to the face playing tee ball when the batter accidentally threw the bat. Shattered my nose and eye socket at age 6 or 7. it was awesome... <_<

had 30 something stitches because the bat splintered in my face, and they repaired my nose incorrectly...leaving my nose/nasal cavity crooked and thin...makes allergy season a mother#####

Ouch. Throwing the bat is a big problem for the t ball kids who are just learning to play. I coached my sons team a few years ago and I took a few thrown bats to the shins.

Probably the worst sports related injury was when I was 16 playing travel baseball. I think we were playing out in Batavia and I was pitching and took and line drive off my ankle. I was able to retrieve the ball and throw the runner out at first...and then the pain came. I hobbled off the field, removed my cleat and sock and you could see the impression of the stitches from the ball on my skin. I was positive that it had to be broken, but x-rays were clean. Still with only two weeks left in the summer, my season was over.

Tore a tendon in my left hand while playing basketball in high school. Played the game not knowing. Woke up and my hand was extremely swelled up so I went to the ER. Found out I didn't have insurance so I told my mom it wasn't that bad and left. Didn't find out what happened until years later.

Can't bend the wrist back more than a few inches and can't do push-ups unless I clench my fists. Can't bench press without extreme discomfort. Really sucks.

Broken all my toes in martial arts, busted some fingers, broke a wrist figure skating... Nothing major. The injury that screwed me up the longest was the slapshot I took point blank above the ankle a couple months ago. Sucker missed all the padding and my skate boot, and I have a permanent bump/sore spot.

The scariest was martial arts- I was on a demonstration team and it was run by a guy who fancied himself some drill instructor.

We were learning hip tosses (you see them in movies all the time- you throw the person over your shoulder in front of you, they flip, land on their back). There were gymnastic mats laid down on concrete. Well, rather than easing us into it, the idiot instructor insisted we all complete a certain amount in a certain time. I've never flipped much in my life. Did a few, no problem, back and forth with my partner, and then one just went awry when my partner lost her balance and I landed on my neck.

I came to a bit later, felt like everything was static-y, and I couldn't move. I thought for sure I was paralyzed. Shook it off, and my instructor threatened my spot on the team if I didn't do a few more right there. Called me a ######, a weak little bitch... I was about 17 years old.

I quit that day.

I named the instructor Lucifer- he loved to have us sit in the splits, lift ourselves up a couple inches, and stay there for some set amount of time. If anyone fell or complained, he'd add 10 seconds. Passed out like that more than I care to say. Stupid stuff, and unsafe.

I play ice hockey year round on weekends. A couple of years ago I got my legs taken out from behind twice in the same month, fell backwards, and hit my helmeted head. After the second time I was dizzy. The next day when I woke up the room was spinning and I was nauseous. It felt like when you spin around a lot with your eyes closed and try to walk. I couldn't walk straight. My wife and son had to help me to the car to go to the hospital.

I had a concussion and Vertigo. I missed a week of work because of dizziness, and it took over a month before I felt normal again. And of course I resumed playing. I did buy a Cascade Messier helmet, which is supposed to be the best you can get.

Skiing: Torn MCL in left knee while spinning opposite my natural direction.

Fractured left foot x3

Fractured right foot x2 from air mailing My landing and coming down flat.

Baseball: Broken thumb barehanding a comebacker.

Football: Dislocated ring finger. Worst one by far! Dad reset it on the sidelines and taped it up.

Nothing notable sports related. Sprains, dislocations, a doozy of a shiner form a misjudged fly ball in center field, is about it.

Wait... is horsing around on your sons' Razor scooter sports? If so I've got a funny story that ended with two broken ribs.

Ouch. Throwing the bat is a big problem for the t ball kids who are just learning to play. I coached my sons team a few years ago and I took a few thrown bats to the shins.

Probably the worst sports related injury was when I was 16 playing travel baseball. I think we were playing out in Batavia and I was pitching and took and line drive off my ankle. I was able to retrieve the ball and throw the runner out at first...and then the pain came. I hobbled off the field, removed my cleat and sock and you could see the impression of the stitches from the ball on my skin. I was positive that it had to be broken, but x-rays were clean. Still with only two weeks left in the summer, my season was over.

I'm a certified Little League Umpire, I threaten to duck tape the bat to the kids hands. Some places have a local rule that if a bat is released and strikes the catcher/me they are called out.

I had a senior game once where they were trying to pitch out and walk a batter, well the pitch came a little to inside and the batter fowled it straight back into my crotch with no catcher block it. Thank god I wear a cup or my offspring would have dents in their foreheads. I threw up and had to switch with the base umpire after walking it off for 10-15 minutes because I couldn't crouch anymore.

Nothing notable sports related. Sprains, dislocations, a doozy of a shiner form a misjudged fly ball in center field, is about it.

Wait... is horsing around on your sons' Razor scooter sports? If so I've got a funny story that ended with two broken ribs.

it counts because I want to hear the story :)

Edited by Ottosmagic13

I'm a certified Little League Umpire, I threaten to duck tape the bat to the kids hands. Some places have a local rule that if a bat is released and strikes the catcher/me they are called out.

Our little league had the same rule, and it lost us a championship series game one year.

We would play best-of-three to decide the champion. In game two (we won game one) we were down one in game two in the top of the second to last inning (can't remember if we played 6/7 innings). Runners on second and third. Kid hit the ball through the hole and we would've taken the lead. After the play stops and we all were excited, the ump stopped it and called him out. We didn't recover from that, but won game three easily.

EDIT: as my brother remembers it this actually happened in THE championship game, but our coach protested and we played a whole new game that we won easily the next night.

Edited by Tankalicious

I had a senior game once where they were trying to pitch out and walk a batter, well the pitch came a little to inside and the batter fowled it straight back into my crotch with no catcher block it. Thank god I wear a cup or my offspring would have dents in their foreheads. I threw up and had to switch with the base umpire after walking it off for 10-15 minutes because I couldn't crouch anymore.

I used to be an ump...for the exact reason that you tell here, I no longer umpire. There was a little league championship the same day as one of my slow pitch softball games. After my game was over, the little league commish/director ran over and asked if I had my ump equipment. I told him no. He asked if I wouldn't mind using the town equipment (mask and chest protector and clicker) so that the kids could play since the other ump was a no show. my second ump was a girl who always umped the bases. She said she didn't like being behind the plate.

*note: I rarely wear a cup for slow pitch softball - as I play outfield, and frankly, I've never seen or heard of someone's family jewels being destroyed in slow-pitch beer league*

so I stood behind the plate. Bottom of the fourth inning, a curve/breaking ball inside handcuffs the batter, fouls it straight back, and the ###### CATCHER MOVES HIS HEAD/DUCKS! foul ball to the balls.

I puked three times and couldn't stand up. I was 19 at the time, and I had to call my mom to pick me up and take me home because I thought I was dying. No serious longterm damage (or so the dr says). just really really feckin sore - as was my pride, as I had to call mom to come get me with 30+ parents looking on. I was walking funny for a week. Since then, I've umped 4 maybe 5 games (I'm almost 26 now), and I always have a cup with my equipment just in case.

Sprained wrist from a slash.

Sprained shoulder (like bruising and inflammation all the way around; had to sling it for three days, thought it was separated), possible concussion from a high-speed tripping turned awkward impact into the boards.

About a dozen full-blown puck bruises to legs (those ###### that grow to like 6" circles and turn black for a couple weeks).

Probably a few bone chips on the ankle from pucks, complete with permanent discoloration.

Cracked a rib or two in hockey. Forgot how. Hurt to laugh/cough for a few weeks.

Minor break or chip in my left pinky that kept getting broken/irritated every few months for about four years. Probably from hockey.

Jammed a finger in basketball some time in HS.

Two lacerations on my left index finger from different knifey cutty times. Nerves feel weird over there.

There's probably a few more I'm forgetting. The worst short-term was the shoulder; that was probably the strongest impact I've ever taken. The worst long term, likely because it won't heal properly, is the ankle.

Still have all of my teeth.

I'm doin' fine. I've heard/seen a lot worse in guys older and younger than me, including my one-legged hockey player friend. His story inspires me to not bitch about injuries and get back on the ice no matter what.

I'd say I've been pretty lucky in that regard (knock on wood)... mostly because I didn't do anything athletic growing up, so smaller sample size, haha. The worst I've done is slam my knees on a patch of ice while snowboarding. Hurt like a mofo, and had me limping all the way to the car after. And stupid me didn't realize I should've taken measures to avoid swelling after, so I was gimpy and tie-dye colors for almost 2 weeks.

Ribs sound awful... didn't chz break a rib a while back?

Yup. Still hurts sometimes.

Worst was tearing my Achilles. Hearing that snap still gives me chills.

Yup. Still hurts sometimes.

Worst was tearing my Achilles. Hearing that snap still gives me chills.

He'll never play golf again, because his weight displacement goes back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push everything off to the right. He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game.

I was wondering who their viewer was

:lol: I'd actually never watched it before... was gonna look for something on Hulu but that was on and mildly entertaining, so I left it. I was surprised the announcer called the Achilles injury by sound, though (he said it before the contestant grabbed his ankle).

Put on a little too much peanut butter, eh?

Or he has peppermint candy nips...my mom has horses and they love anything peppermint

:lol: I'd actually never watched it before... was gonna look for something on Hulu but that was on and mildly entertaining, so I left it. I was surprised the announcer called the Achilles injury by sound, though (he said it before the contestant grabbed his ankle).

I've watched ANW since it was just on G4 and in Japanese, it's an excellent show and most of the athletes on there could have the show footage directly ported to the "things that are awesome" thread and fit right in. The conditioning and all around training (muscle, balance, athleticism, etc) of the competitors is astounding.

Try and find the US vs Japan special (3ish? episodes) it was really cool

Edited by Ottosmagic13

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.