Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Pavel Zacha can also play LW.  Not that it matters he will be gone before 21 unless his combine is f##ked.

True enough. He is a natural centre though if I'm not mistaken, wouldn't mind drafting a natural winger in that range. Although to be fair, our organiazation prospect depth at RW is rather strong, it's more the current RW players we are lacking. Drafting a LW at 21 could be a good idea if we do take a forward.

Ideally Tim is able to trade up and somehow grab a guy like Werenski.

And I agree with others, generally going forward after the first round it's BPA.

Edited by Thorny

If we could only reach consensus on BPA.  For instance is the 15th best forward as good as the 6th best defender?  I don't have an answer but I think about such things.

It's a message board, not the Sabres war room...why does there have to be a consensus on anything?  :blink:  :blink:

It's a message board, not the Sabres war room...why does there have to be a consensus on anything?  :blink:  :blink:

Because everyone tosses it out there like "Oh well you take BPA" without being even able to define the term. 

Because everyone tosses it out there like "Oh well you take BPA" without being even able to define the term. 

Context matters.  It is tossed out there in response to "they need to take a defenseman at 163.  We are low on D prospects".  

Context matters.  It is tossed out there in response to "they need to take a defenseman at 163.  We are low on D prospects".  

Well weave when I say that you can be there with the "I gotcha!" ... moving picture... 

It stands for best player available. ;)

Thanks Hoss, acronyms are like parseltounge to me. 

Well weave when I say that you can be there with the "I gotcha!" ... moving picture... 

Are you feeling like I've targeted you for saying that?  You sure do seem to get sensitive when I post it, even when I've quoted others to do it.

Edited by weave

Are you feeling like I've targeted you for saying that?  You sure do seem to get sensitive when I post it, even when I've quoted others to do it.

I know you target me, but meh I don't really have a f#@k to give about it.  The ... moving picture... thing though, well you might never get my humor there.  

Edited by LGR4GM

I know you target me, but meh I don't really have a f#@k to give about it.  The ... moving picture... thing though, well you might never get my humor there.  

I'm not targeting you.  My post in this thread re: BPA quoted Hoss.  You chimed in about it a page later, and I responded. 

Corey Pronman from ESPN just released his mock draft and at 21 he selects Nick Merkley from Kelowna.

"Merkely is 18 on my board, and has a ton of offensive upside although he's not the biggest player"

from Future Considerations:

STRENGTHS: Merkley is consistent all game in his work ethic and shows he has an excellent sense

for creating offense. Very confident with the puck, loves to have possession and hold the puck far away
from his body and cradling it away from oncoming checkers with poise and deliberation. His motor is
his best asset.

WEAKNESSES: Despite his ability to work through it, his size is a bit of a factor in
why he is not rated as high as he could be. His skating also needs some fine tuning
before he will be able to play at the next level.
Edited by Crusader1969

Corey Pronman from ESPN just released his mock draft and at 21 he selects Nick Merkley from Kelowna.

"Merkely is 18 on my board, and has a ton of offensive upside although he's not the biggest player"

The mock is a "grade a" draft in which he picks the best possible outcome for that slot with what's available in his opinion, so no quite a mock.

You should try to post links because you've always got a lot of good info but never a source.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/12963643/corey-pronman-makes-picks-gm-every-nhl-team-2015-nhl-draft?ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_Pronman_2015GradeA

(It's Insider. I'm not even logged into an insider account and was able to read the whole thing. Not sure about others)

I think Merkley is my favorite forward that is likely to fall in that range. 

The mock is a "grade a" draft in which he picks the best possible outcome for that slot with what's available in his opinion, so no quite a mock.

You should try to post links because you've always got a lot of good info but never a source.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/12963643/corey-pronman-makes-picks-gm-every-nhl-team-2015-nhl-draft?ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_Pronman_2015GradeA

(It's Insider. I'm not even logged into an insider account and was able to read the whole thing. Not sure about others)

didnt post link - assumed most didn't have access to it.

Nope.

Just picked up the Hockey News Draft Preview...

7 pages on McDavid/Edmonton

4 pages on Eichel(with one of the 4 being a full page pic of him)

Like most print publications, this will be outdated compared to internet resources by draft day, but that being said, it will help tide me over until draft day.  Also, nice keepsake of Eichel in a Sabres jersey on the cover.

Edited by LabattBlue

List of combine invites:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=768184

How about adding the 3rd tallest player in the 2015 draft with the 31st pick to upgrade Sabres D Depth:

Brando Carlo:

Future Considerations quote "A big, nasty, physical defensive defender. He’s an absolute monster out on the ice and skates extremely well for his size. His footwork is not perfect but definitely at a higher level than you
would expect for someone who is six-foot-five." ranked 38th
Edited by Crusader1969

Button has Hanifin down at 12. Provorov is his top dman at 5 and Werenski is second at 7. Oliver Kylington down at 47.

Boeser at 9. Barzal at 15. Zacha at 24. Brandon Carlo at 52. Jeremy Bracco at 60.

First goalie is Felix Sandstrom at 48. A Swede. Blackwood at 62.

Those are some of the interesting ones to me.

Edited by Hoss

Button has Hanifin down at 12. Provorov is his top dman at 5 and Werenski is second at 7. Oliver Kylington down at 47.

Boeser at 9. Barzal at 15. Zacha at 24. Brandon Carlo at 52. Jeremy Bracco at 60.

Every year I find myself disagreeing with Button's rankings.

Pretty sure he had Ristolainen at 24 in his final rankings that year.

I haven't religiously followed his rankings, but it does seem like each time there is one specific guy that he likes to bury down much further than where everyone else has him.  I know he's been burying Hanifin all year.

Hanifin is a surprise - think it may be trying to stand out and be different from other rankings.

Merkley at 11 is higher than what I've seen before - not to mention that he is above Barzal.

He definitely isn't high on my two prospects - Zacha (I assumed we have to move up to get him) at 24 and Sprong at 38 (i was interested in with the 21st pick).

Kylington is down at 48 - I believe he may be the biggest faller on almost all draft boards (including mine) from the beginning of the season.  

He has Samsonov at 14 as the first goalie on the list