Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

For me this would be Buffalo's ideal draft for their 1st 4 picks (we own the NYI 2nd as well correct?).  This is based off of who gets drafted prior to Buffalo selections and who is still available. 

2nd: Jack Eichel -  The easiest part of this would be the big american center.  We have all seen what he has been up to at the WC... he's good.

21st: Jakub Zboril - Well others have suggested different defenders here, Zboril is the LHD with the most upside and grittiest game.  His shot is really good and his skating is Ristolainen smooth.  He would be the perfect guy to add at this stage.  Some have him going 17-20 but I think he will slide just a touch.

31st: Anthony Beauvillier - The C/LW that I just post on is really good.  He is like shorter Brock Boeser but I think Beauvillier has more offensive upside.  He isn't 18 yet but he needs to add weight and muscle.  His skating is great and his shot has actually improved a lot based off of all I have read.  Considering how strong his skating and abilities are, I think he could be a steal in the 2nd round.  He had 94pts this past year in the Q.  Speaking of that don't be concerned about his defensive game.  He is tenacious without the puck and plays solid defense.  His biggest flaw is height and weight.  

52nd:  MacKenzie Blackwood - The 6'4" GT may not slide this far and we may need to trade up into the 40's to get him.  That said we should. He is big and very athletic.  Everyone talks about how much he improved this year.  He is a butterfly goalie but he also has a strong glove hand and can play the puck. Apparently his puck handling skills are quite good. Hopefully we end up with him.  

52nd:  MacKenzie Blackwood - The 6'4" GT may not slide this far and we may need to trade up into the 40's to get him.  That said we should. He is big and very athletic.  Everyone talks about how much he improved this year.  He is a butterfly goalie but he also has a strong glove hand and can play the puck. Apparently his puck handling skills are quite good. Hopefully we end up with him.

I really don't think he is going to last that long...you're going to have to use a 2nd round pick on him, in my opinion. (And I really want him.)

On a sidenote...Edmonton has 2 picks in the top-16? That really ticks me off. Who the hell trades a 1st round pick for David Perron? Lol.

On another sidenote...would anyone want Jordan Subban if he ends up going back into the draft? (Apparently he's friends with Pegula's daughter, not that it matters.)

I really don't think he is going to last that long...you're going to have to use a 2nd round pick on him, in my opinion. (And I really want him.)

On a sidenote...Edmonton has 2 picks in the top-16? That really ticks me off. Who the hell trades a 1st round pick for David Perron? Lol.

On another sidenote...would anyone want Jordan Subban if he ends up going back into the draft? (Apparently he's friends with Pegula's daughter, not that it matters.)

51 is in the 2nd round but as I say, I expect Blackwood to go in the 40's, early 40's to be specific. 

What do you mean if Jordan Subban ends up going back into the draft? 

I'm rocking the GMC tonight for hopefully Connor McJesus last junior hockey game.  Go Gens Go!!  Go Gens Go!!

Now I know how you felt a couple of years ago NS.

Edited by Derrico

51 is in the 2nd round but as I say, I expect Blackwood to go in the 40's, early 40's to be specific. 

What do you mean if Jordan Subban ends up going back into the draft? 

If Vancouver did not sign him, he would have gone back into the 2015 NHL draft in June...but like bunomatic said, they signed him yesterday evening.

Canucks just signed Jordan Subban yesterday.

I saw that right after I closed down this page...I think the report came out around 4:10, about a half an hour after I posted that. Lol.

EDIT: Indeed it was 4:10 pm! Lmfao. http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/14/canucks-sign-jordan-subban/

And although that says "Vancouver maintained they would sign him," there was A LOT of talk of them letting him go or trying to trade him.

(I have no idea how or why, but apparently he and Pegula's daughter are really good friends.)

• 2 weeks later...

Two words: Stephen Desrocher. Even before he puts home the winner in the memorial cup round robin game today I've been dreaming of him in a Sabres uniform. If vande somple is taken before Desrocher in the draft then someone is making a huge mistake. Guy has an unbelievable shot and can play very sound defensively. He has gotten better and better as the playoffs and now mem cup move on. Look for him to really move up draft boards.

Oh and ns, how'd you like my gens putting up a five spot on your boy FUCALE?! Go gens go!!!!!!

Just keep in mind Desrocher is 19 and was passed over last year.  

Also keep in mind he is 6'4" and LHD

It's true he's a late bloomer.  He was the Gens 6th D for the first half of the season.  But come the second half he was given a shot due to some injuries (ironically Vandel Somple) but boy he's looked good.  I'm not grabbing this guy in the first or second round or anything but I'd take a look anytime after that.  He already has an NHL shot and he plays a good physical game.  If you're watching any of the Memorial Cup keep an eye on him.

We are exactly 1 month away from the 2015 NHL entry draft. As soon as the playoff end I will work on my mock.  I have posted a previous one http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22566-official-2015-nhl-draft-thread/?p=684737that covers the first 14 picks of the draft. I will probably use that as a baseline but might change up some of the picks slightly.  We are getting close.

Out of curiosity....

For anybody who put in for draft tickets next month, has anybody heard back from the Panthers yet?  I put in for them in January by filling out that online form and haven't heard a thing yet.

I don't think I will be able to go, but I put in for tickets sometime back in early spring, and also have not heard anything from them.

They actually had an application process for draft tickets?  Did they really think there would be enough interest in that market that they'd be turning people away?  I find that hard to believe.

IIRC from a post here a couple of months back, they apparently have it set up where the premium seats for regular season games (I.e. those down low between the blue lines) come w/ freebies so they are vigilant in keeping people from sneaking down into them.

If they intentionally enhance the impression that NOBODY goes to the games; why ever would you expect them to not be tone deaf enough to expect draft tickets to be a hot commodity?

We are exactly 1 month away from the 2015 NHL entry draft. As soon as the playoff end I will work on my mock.  I have posted a previous one http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22566-official-2015-nhl-draft-thread/?p=684737that covers the first 14 picks of the draft. I will probably use that as a baseline but might change up some of the picks slightly.  We are getting close.

Looking forward to it Liger. I am interested in what the talent pool will look like at #21. I know you have mentioned Zboril as your target for that pick (and have soured on my Tom Webster contest pick of Kylington). Wonder if that changes much in the next few weeks.

Looking forward to it Liger. I am interested in what the talent pool will look like at #21. I know you have mentioned Zboril as your target for that pick (and have soured on my Tom Webster contest pick of Kylington). Wonder if that changes much in the next few weeks.

Should be fun. Just keep in mind it will be a mock, not a ranking.  

What's the read on Colin White? If he were to slip a spot, the Sabres would be pick BPA *and* from a position of need.

Colin White could go #21 and I wouldn't really bat an eye at it. I like Boeser better but White is a really solid center from all accounts.  He will probably go to college for at least 2 years before making the jump. He is in some ways comparable to JT Compher although he lacks Compher's pestering ways and is more of a straight forward type of player.  Judging from the little I have seen and all I have read, White is a solid player.  Most reports mention how good White is at taking draws.  Again, there would be other players with more risk but higher upside you could take but if I had to guess White will be an NHL player.  The question is will he be a 2nd line player or a borderline 3rd liner. 

Should be fun. Just keep in mind it will be a mock, not a ranking.  

Of course as soon as I posted you put up that consensus ranking that basically answered my question. Boeser and Sprong are the other forwards in our neighborhood. I would really like to see a move to get Kochecny if the Sabres end up going forward instead of defense.

Colin White could go #21 and I wouldn't really bat an eye at it. I like Boeser better but White is a really solid center from all accounts.  He will probably go to college for at least 2 years before making the jump. He is in some ways comparable to JT Compher although he lacks Compher's pestering ways and is more of a straight forward type of player.  Judging from the little I have seen and all I have read, White is a solid player.  Most reports mention how good White is at taking draws.  Again, there would be other players with more risk but higher upside you could take but if I had to guess White will be an NHL player.  The question is will he be a 2nd line player or a borderline 3rd liner. 

Make it 3 years in college.  Those BC guys always stick around that long.  I'll be curious to see what Hannifin does as he's obviously the most likely to not do his BC 3.

I don't really care where they go with their later picks, and I don't understand how we can hope they go for a certain position. I have my favorites in that range, but I think it's BPA according to the Sabres boards regardless of position. Most of these kids won't be playing for 3-4 years.