World Cup 2014

Sabres Fan in NS

Bradley with some good through balls but his touches have been horrible near the Germans box-- just keeps giving the ball away. Germany dominated play early but I like how we responded. Had some decent chances.

Portugal up 1-0 which is good for us

I'm not really a Bradley fan. Jones is a favorite of mine. Just keep it nil-nil and we advance.

Bradley with some good through balls but his touches have been horrible near the Germans box-- just keeps giving the ball away. Germany dominated play early but I like how we responded. Had some decent chances.

Portugal up 1-0 which is good for us

Congrats on using the words balls, touches, and box all in the same sentence.

Guest Sloth

Will be home in a little bit. Have been following the game by checking stats online. Possession said 64% for Germany. Have they been that dominate?

Will be home in a little bit. Have been following the game by checking stats online. Possession said 64% for Germany. Have they been that dominate?

I literally don't think we touched the ball other than a deflection or a goalie save for the entire first ten minutes. So that definitely hurt us there. Definitely played much better after that although I'd say the Germans still controlled play

USA played like garbage. No checking into space. No playing balls into space. No support on Germany's side of the pitch. Numerous missed opportunities to spring a guy outside. Absolute garbage. Good thing our defense was mildly solid and Germany wasn't interested in pushing to hard.

Guest Sloth

I only saw the last 40 minutes or so of the game. Seemed as if the U.S. was intentionally playing for a tie or 1 goal game. Didn't appear to try put significant pressure on Germany. Germany also seemed to play rather conservative in the final 40. Appeared as if both teams were content w/ what was going down. Any how, be excited the U.S. has moved on. Few felt it was possible before the World Cup started.

Guest Sloth

BrEy8wQIcAA28Y2.png

:clapping:

Now that is a great post!

Quick side note. I did not know the U.S. had never made consecutive trips to the Round of 16. Makes it even better.

Edited by thanes16

FCKU YEAH!

germany is one of the world's best teams, and they looked formidable. we did well to lose by a goal.

Germany goal. Ghana goal. Uh oh

If Ghana wins 2-1 and we lose 1-0 we are out

fwiw, this was not true. in that event, we'd have tied with ghana on goal differential (even, zero), but we would've won the head-to-head tiebreaker against them. what had me worried was the prospect of a second germany goal and a ghana win.

I'm down at Canalside. Nice group down here.

i saw you there -- dealing sternly with the kid running that drone.

http://youtu.be/elnENHrliKc

fwiw, this was not true. in that event, we'd have tied with ghana on goal differential (even, zero), but we would've won the head-to-head tiebreaker against them. what had me worried was the prospect of a second germany goal and a ghana win.

Nope. Goals For breaks the tie before head to head, and Ghana would have had 5 to our 4 if they had won 2-1 and we had lost 0-1.

If Ghana wins 2-1 and we lose 1-0 we are out

Nope. Goals For breaks the tie before head to head, and Ghana would have had 5 to our 4 if they had won 2-1 and we had lost 0-1.

:oops:

i'll get the tiebreakers straight in time for the 2018 world cup.

edit: pop self-quiz, without looking: so, it goes (1) points for, (2) goal differential, (3) goals for, (4) head to head outcome?

Edited by That Aud Smell

CONCACAF: Three teams (75%) through. Very impressive.

And CRC should get through at least to the quarters. I hope we'll ,move up to 4 or 4.5 berths.

:oops:

i'll get the tiebreakers straight in time for the 2018 world cup.

edit: pop self-quiz, without looking: so, it goes (1) points for, (2) goal differential, (3) goals for, (4) head to head outcome?

yup, then coin toss.

and the 2018 cup is in Russia, so the first tiebreaker will be a wink from Putin.