Next year won't be a "tank".

darksabre

If that were true, and there nothing to say it will be, then the League should be able to step in and fine the franchise while taking away their picks in the draft cause thats basically Tanking and robbing your fans

To make the playoffs, Buffalo could go big in free agency, make short term trades to make the playoffs, and push to be a #8 seed.

The Sabres are not, and should not do that.

They are expecting to be a lottery -(i.e. a non-playoff )team next year. (And I'm okay with that).

If that were true, and there nothing to say it will be, then the League should be able to step in and fine the franchise while taking away their picks in the draft cause thats basically Tanking and robbing your fans

Yup, grab a seat along with the oilers fans, next to the panthers fans, and there may be some Islanders fans in there too!

1) Can the NHL fine and penalize all non-cap teams then? Because they aren't doing everything they can to win either. Or is being bad because of a cheap owner okay?

2) Try to be the best every year, take your seat right alongside Winnipeg, Nashville and Carolina fans! Yea baby! See, you're not the only one who can make crappy condescending points.

Just read through this entire thread. It enrages me.

They told us they were going to tank. Many here said they should have done it sooner. It sucks. We knew it would. We are all not sure it will work but we all hope that it does. This whole thing was, is and will continue to be a tank that was planned and executed by the managment of the Sabres. That's fine. Just don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining (that last part is to D4rk, not the Sabres. They should just shut up and keep doing what they are doing :) ).

Just read through this entire thread. It enrages me.

They told us they were going to tank. Many here said they should have done it sooner. It sucks. We knew it would. We are all not sure it will work but we all hope that it does. This whole thing was, is and will continue to be a tank that was planned and executed by the managment of the Sabres. That's fine. Just don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining (that last part is to D4rk, not the Sabres. They should just shut up and keep doing what they are doing :) ).

Stop looking at me while I pee on you, it's weird.

For practical purposes, the end result next season will likely look very much like a Tank, even though the Tank isn't intentional.

I'm reminded of Shakespeare - "A rose by any other name....."

Edited by Jsixspd

Yup, grab a seat along with the oilers fans, next to the panthers fans, and there may be some Islanders fans in there too!

If your GM is bad enough to put a bad team together after having been in the Oilers draft position, that team would be worse if it had been in Boston's draft position. You want a Boston-like rebuild finding talent in low 1st and later rounds, you have to have the GM for it. Now let's assume (for the sake of argument) TM is the type of GM that could pull that off. I'd rather give that GM a couple years of top 5 picks to work with on top of his talent finding depth throughout the draft than to handicap him with worse picks because I wanted the team to try to be 9th in the East a year sooner.

Next year won't be a tank, sure sounds good on paper, but in reality, what is best for the organization?

A. Fill the roster with your young talent now and surround them with veterans to make the cap floor and try to win (which they won't).

OR

B. put as many of the young guys in Rochester, McCabe, Grigs, Armia, Ristolainen, Lieuwen, Makarov, Deslauriers, Etc. develop together where they may be able to have success. And if we send Reinhart (yep, I'm calling it) back to juniors, who could blame them?

Obviously,option B makes more sense in the long run. I hate losing but come on, we can handle this one more year before we start to to try to truly compete!

I believe the idea is called "not mortgaging the future for minimal success next season". It's all a balance. TM could probably:

- Trade pick #2 for a top-6 wing on the last year of his contract

- Trade Girgensons and a pick for something similar

- Package Ehrhoff and a pick for yet another top-6 forward at the end of a contract

- Throw a ton of money at Callahan and Ott

- Hang on to Stafford (based on the end of this season) and let him walk as a UFA

Would the team be better next season? Yes, maybe even in the Wildcard hunt if the young D play well. Would the team be better the seasons after that? Absolutely not. The Sabres are in a position of weakness, especially in terms of UFAs. They could start trading in assets, but that's unlikely to help in the long run. There's only two ways out of the basement: trades and time. I'll take time, since the trade route would seem less likely to bring the real result we're all looking for.

Patients is the key. One more crappy season will see us in a position to start moving forward!

No one needs to tell Tim Murray the right thing to do.

Too many people have been ruined by the lowered expectations of having an imbecile GM for too long

A GOOD GM can acquire talent through many methods like trades, FA and the draft. This idea that you need to have a Crosby talent to be a winner is not true, the pens have him, a #2 overall pick in malkin, a #1 overall pick in net, plus others and yet they have only been able to win 1 cup since the lockout. The Bruins don't have a one fo these types of players and they have a cup and are favorites to win this year.

ID GIVE MY RIGHT ARM FOR THE SABRES TO WIN JUST 1 CUP!!!!

and correct me if I am wrong but didn't Boston just lose to Chicago in the Finals a team who have the EXACT model the Sabres are trying to replicate!

B. put as many of the young guys in Rochester, McCabe, Grigs, Armia, Ristolainen, Lieuwen, Makarov, Deslauriers, Etc. develop together where they may be able to have success. And if we send Reinhart (yep, I'm calling it) back to juniors, who could blame them?

I'm a little confused each time I see Deslauriers included in this list of good young prospects. He's a bit older and now out of his ELC. I doubt we'd have to be too worried about him clearing waviers, but at this stage in his career, I'd say he's probably at the point where he will be up in the NHL.

Next year won't be a tank, sure sounds good on paper, but in reality, what is best for the organization?

A. Fill the roster with your young talent now and surround them with veterans to make the cap floor and try to win (which they won't).

OR

Obviously,option B makes more sense in the long run. I hate losing but come on, we can handle this one more year before we start to to try to truly compete!

Patients is the key. One more crappy season will see us in a position to start moving forward!

No one needs to tell Tim Murray the right thing to do.

Patients?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.