OT - 2014 NFL Draft

On the QB's.....I assume the Bills will not be in the market early. Bortles looks the most intriguing of the big 4.

One guy that stood out from the rest of the pack...

*Logan Thomas - VTech - This guy looks like a 1st round pick. Tall, built, fast, confident in his mechanics (at least in a drill). He throws a tight and powerful ball short to mid range, and is throwing down. If he runs, he is built like a tight end...which he was projected to be. It sounds like he was mediocre the past few years, but this guy looks sooo good. I would think he goes by the 3rd or 4th round.

LT is a turnover machine and lacks the one thing that is most important for quarterbacks... accuracy. He has a tendency to throw high, at times really, really high. He also has no touch on shorter throws like screens and shallow crossing patters... everything is an uncatchable 100 MPH fastball. And, he stares down his primary receiver pretty much always.

He should have been a college tight end and still could be a good pro tight end.

Virginia Tech is my team. Trust me on this one.

*Jordan Matthews - Vanderbilt - Tall, decent build, nice hands, and good field awareness. Not an elite athlete, but has size/skill/smarts. Probably a lock to make a roster. 3rd round

No way in hell the SECs all-time leading receiver in yards and receptions (both by a wide margin) lasts until the 3rd. Jordan caught 112 passes as a senior with coverage rolled to his side of the field (other starting receiver Boyd was suspended for the year) and mediocre QB play. He is the first SEC receiver ever to catch 100+ balls in a season. If he is still there when the Bills pick in the 2nd they should take him. Kid has a knack for making big plays at key moments of the game... in that sense he is everything that Stevie Johnson is not!

Note: Matthews was one of the 30 players invited to the draft by the NFL.

Edited by Potato

LT is a turnover machine and lacks the one thing that is most important for quarterbacks... accuracy. He has a tendency to throw high, at times really, really high. He also has no touch on shorter throws like screens and shallow crossing patters... everything is an uncatchable 100 MPH fastball. And, he stares down his primary receiver pretty much always.

He should have been a college tight end and still could be a good pro tight end.

Virginia Tech is my team. Trust me on this one.

There is a reason he is projected so low....I hear you. On pure physical ability and athleticism though....he stands out. Some team will probably take him in the 3rd because they feel they can coach him up. I wouldn't cringe if the Bills took him in the 4th because to me he sounds like an EJ clone with a stronger ball. If the Bills staff liked EJ at #16, hard not to like this guy at #130......

No way in hell the SECs all-time leading receiver in yards and receptions (both by a wide margin) lasts until the 3rd. Jordan caught 112 passes as a senior with coverage rolled to his side of the field (other starting receiver Boyd was suspended for the year) and mediocre QB play. He is the first SEC receiver ever to catch 100+ balls in a season. If he is still there when the Bills pick in the 2nd they should take him. Kid has a knack for making big plays at key moments of the game... in that sense he is everything that Stevie Johnson is not!

Note: Matthews was one of the 30 players invited to the draft by the NFL.

He looks like a "nice" player. To me he is a high basement, medium ceiling guy.....safe. I wouldn't want the Bills to take him in the 2nd. We have too many "nice" receivers. I don't like the receivers too much in general though.

I readily admit that I don't watch too much college football so it's good to hear context. Also, character plays a role. Of some of the guys I like, one guy is retweeting humble thoughts about god...and another "up all night dreamin bout dat check".......One guy interviews saying, "it's not about what I do on a football field, it's about being a good person and doing what's right." Another is using ebonic profanity in a public forum. I would hope all this comes into play.

And if there is ever a guy screaming to be a Bill, it is Ryan Groy.

He looks like a "nice" player. To me he is a high basement, medium ceiling guy.....safe. I wouldn't want the Bills to take him in the 2nd. We have too many "nice" receivers. I don't like the receivers too much in general though.

I readily admit that I don't watch too much college football so it's good to hear context. Also, character plays a role. Of some of the guys I like, one guy is retweeting humble thoughts about god...and another "up all night dreamin bout dat check".......One guy interviews saying, "it's not about what I do on a football field, it's about being a good person and doing what's right." Another is using ebonic profanity in a public forum. I would hope all this comes into play.

And if there is ever a guy screaming to be a Bill, it is Ryan Groy.

Scouts know how good Matthews is. I think he'll be gone in the 1st round. I've seen him play in person on many occasions. There is a reason he is the all-time leading receiver in SEC history by a wide margin.

http://rotoviz.com/i...mmon-opponents/

BTW - he is Jerry Rice's cousin. :P

Edited by Potato

The NFL doesn't invite the "top 30" prospects necessarily, so being invited doesn't really matter.

The only criteria is that the NFL feels confident the guy will be gone by the end of round 3. It would be embarrassing for a player to be there and go day 3....although there is a chance that can happen.

Scouts know how good Matthews is. I think he'll be gone in the 1st round. I've seen him play in person on many occasions. There is a reason he is the all-time leading receiver in SEC history by a wide margin.

http://rotoviz.com/i...mmon-opponents/

BTW - he is Jerry Rice's cousin. :P

James Hardy set every Indiana receiving record in 3 years......

I'm not saying he is Hardy...I hated that pick. I like Matthews. I would take Matthews over Lee and Benjamin. Heck, I might even take him over Evans. I just wouldn't even think about it in the first round for any team.

I think the NFL should invite more players. Allow them to sit in the crowd. The greenroom should be reserved for players they are confident that will go in round one on day one. Then on day two they will pick among the players attending to move into the green room for round 2-3. And then day three, the same.

Day four might be coming soon. It should be one, MAYBE two days...

I went like 15 years ago at MSG theatre. It was McNabb's year and on day 2 there were probably 50 people in the stands for the 7th round. It was awesome because the ESPN guys were talking to the fans and it was still organic. Day 1 the players were wandering the crowd too. I think Cade McNown ordered a knish at the concession stand after I did.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaannnnd....Donald is suddenly on the radar at #9 with Dareus making a late night Checkers run for a dozen double deckers and 3 lbs. of fried taters.....

I don't think Donald will be there. Minny might take him or trade down with a team that wants him. But it's a minor arrest, so they won't make a knee-jerk pick unless something major comes out on it in 48 hours which won't happen.

Rumors of the Bills moving up to picks 1-3 started last week with Adam Schefter and they've been growing ever since from various sources.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/07/bills-making-calls-about-a-trade-to-no-1-or-no-2/

I read one on TBD that has us talking Watkins from the Jags 3rd overall pick in a trade, and another that has us trading to 1st/2nd to snag Clowney and make the defensive line the scariest imaginable.

Either way, every rumor out there has us shopping Stevie Johnson.

Rumors of the Bills moving up to picks 1-3 started last week with Adam Schefter and they've been growing ever since from various sources.

http://profootballta...o-no-1-or-no-2/

I read one on TBD that has us talking Watkins from the Jags 3rd overall pick in a trade, and another that has us trading to 1st/2nd to snag Clowney and make the defensive line the scariest imaginable.

good

just posted about this in the Bills thread not realizing it was here too. oops.

I hadn't seen the reports of shopping Stevie. interesting nonetheless.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/07/bills-making-calls-about-a-trade-to-no-1-or-no-2/

Just remember that the 49ers traded for Boldin for a 6th rounder. So don't expect trading Stevie to net us anything worthwhile in terms of draft assets.

I think if we trade up it is for Clowney. And, I wouldn't mind that depending on what we have to give up. The team has been awful for so long, we might as do something bold.

IMHO, trading up for a WR in one of the deepest receiver classes ever doesn't make much sense.

I think if we trade up it is for Clowney. And, I wouldn't mind that depending on what we have to give up. The team has been awful for so long, we might as do something bold.

IMHO, trading up for a WR in one of the deepest receiver classes ever doesn't make much sense.

Agreed, Mike Evans looks to be just as valuable if not more than Watkins. I like his size and an mobility to catch in traffic, very Gronk/Graham like

The change of date for the NFL draft has undoubtedly delivered the desired result for the NFL -- more media time devoted to paying more attention to the league -- but I have feckin' hated the change in timing. I am so over the build-up to the draft. Fatigued, even.

The change of date for the NFL draft has undoubtedly delivered the desired result for the NFL -- more media time devoted to paying more attention to the league -- but I have feckin' hated the change in timing. I am so over the build-up to the draft. Fatigued, even.

And it's ruined that one day where you could just chill with friends, pizza, and beer and watch the whole thing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.