Grigorenko

bob_sauve28

Always been a fan, but yeah i don't expect him to make it this year. his faceoff skill alone makes me hope for the best though.

A skill that I think most have underrated for him. Each time we see him, he is stronger on his stick and much more able to win faceoffs as a result. I don't expect he makes Buffalo this year but I think he could work hard and be an injury call up on occasions.

A skill that I think most have underrated for him. Each time we see him, he is stronger on his stick and much more able to win faceoffs as a result. I don't expect he makes Buffalo this year but I think he could work hard and be an injury call up on occasions.

If he ever figured out how to improve his skating, he could accelerate the team's rebuild by a full year. I, for one, am not counting on it.

I agree, photoshopping himself in is impressive. Surely that's what happened, right? After all he's Russian, who we all know are lazy, and he has an ego-driven sense of entitlement we've heard about since his draft year.

Seriously though, this is good to see. It probably won't be the difference between him making it and not making it (it won't hurt, of course) but maybe it will help beat back the "lazy" moniker.

The KHL has some impressive training room space judging by those pictures.

In all seriousness.. he's working hard. It can't be a bad thing. In even more seriousness I wish I could spend my days doing that.

If he ever figured out how to improve his skating, he could accelerate the team's rebuild by a full year. I, for one, am not counting on it.

Well his skating has improved but his acceleration is still problematic and he is a guy who wonder how high his hockey IQ is. For me Grigorenko is an enigma that really needs time to learn in the AHL before we can properly judge him. If you think about his play in Buffalo last year, it was better.

Basically no one here expects him to be on the Sabres this year right?

Imagine the huge bonus if he did show he was ready? I'd imagine none of us are counting on that happening.

Even if he was ready (and by "ready" we're probably talking about "ready to play 10-15 minutes a night on the 3rd line"), I'd still keep him in Rochester the entire season so that he could play in all situations and learn how to be a leader in the AHL.

Love to see the work he's putting in but I think his best bet to learn is by doing EVERYTHING for an entire season in the AHL.

Well his skating has improved but his acceleration is still problematic and he is a guy who wonder how high his hockey IQ is. For me Grigorenko is an enigma that really needs time to learn in the AHL before we can properly judge him. If you think about his play in Buffalo last year, it was better.

This kid would be what, a college sophomore?

If we learned anything last year it should be that the timeline needs to be extended.

There's not much mystery there for me. He's got an Nhl skill set. He just needs to learn the game.

I have no doubt about Grigorenko's IQ. It is the main thing that has me still holding out hope he can play in the top six.

I've seen him make some amazing passes.

His problem is that his hands, his size and his IQ have always made him dominant as he has moved through the ranks.

He has never had to out skate or outmuscle his opponents. He has never had to overcome adversity.

His talent was always enough.

Now he has experienced adversity and there are signs he is responding.

I love the improved defensive awareness I saw at the WJC. I love fact I saw his battle had improved when he came up to Rochester. I love the focus on getting stronger.

But he still has a long ways to go.

The kid is learning what it takes to be a pro. To me, he is the textbook case for Murray's ability to develop talent.

The talent is there. It has been woefully mismanaged. Can that be fixed?

If it can, we should all be excited.

But everyone needs to be patient first.

Edited by dudacek

I have no doubt about Grigorenko's IQ. It is the main thing that has me still holding out hope he can play in the top six.

His problem is that his hands, his size and his IQ have always made him dominant as he has moved through the ranks.

He has never had to out skate or outmuscle his opponents. He has never had to overcome adversity.

I love the improved defensive awareness I saw at the WJC. I love fact I saw his battle had improved when he came up to Rochester. I love the focus on getting stronger.

The kid is learning what it takes to be a pro. To me, he is the textbook case for Murray's ability to develop talent.

I'm awarding this post 5 eggs.

IMO, his Hockey IQ/sense is excellent. Even in limited NHL minutes, it was pretty evident to my eye. Getting stronger, demonstrating a greater willingness to battle, and improving his skating have been the major areas where he needs to show improvement. He certainly showed improvement in Rochester last season, but let's see how far he's progressed in these areas in the coming camp/season. Looking forward to his continued development.

This is a great post. But why does it look like a poem?

And a side order of home fries!

With onions!

I would really like to see him reach his full potential, regardless if the sabres big heads feel that is with 0 NHL minutes and developing in the AHL or if he does indeed crack the lineup a few times. As much as I liked Girgs play last year I think that he will eventually even out to a level lower than Grigs. It may take a few years (the kid is young) but I think that he has a place on this team going forward and I see him offering something to the team.

With onions!

I would really like to see him reach his full potential, regardless if the sabres big heads feel that is with 0 NHL minutes and developing in the AHL or if he does indeed crack the lineup a few times. As much as I liked Girgs play last year I think that he will eventually even out to a level lower than Grigs. It may take a few years (the kid is young) but I think that he has a place on this team going forward and I see him offering something to the team.

A child in a man's body. I cannot even imagine how I would have handled being that young in that situation. Tyler Myers is another one. Just hard to imagine. Almost feel sorry for them...

A child in a man's body. I cannot even imagine how I would have handled being that young in that situation. Tyler Myers is another one. Just hard to imagine. Almost feel sorry for them...

And we are likely going to do it again this year. But I think Samson's maturity and skill set probably allow him to transition much better. But that rule is biting us three years in a row now that we can't send a draft pick to Roch.

MacKinnon seemed to handle it just fine, just like many others.

And we are likely going to do it again this year. But I think Samson's maturity and skill set probably allow him to transition much better. But that rule is biting us three years in a row now that we can't send a draft pick to Roch.

I actually don't want to see Sam on the roster this year unless he absolutely lights it up in camp. I'm a believer that all but a select few elite talents (e.g. MacKinnon) need time in the AHL to learn the pro game before making the jump to the NHL. On that note, I think Grigo will be just fine. A year in Rochester and he hopefully plays for Buffalo next year.

I actually don't want to see Sam on the roster this year unless he absolutely lights it up in camp. I'm a believer that all but a select few elite talents (e.g. MacKinnon) need time in the AHL to learn the pro game before making the jump to the NHL. On that note, I think Grigo will be just fine. A year in Rochester and he hopefully plays for Buffalo next year.

Agreed on both counts but I think both players may force the teams hand. Although in Grigo's case I think we all agree Roch is best but if he actually earns it, the he should get it. With Samson I just cant see the benefit of him going back to that level but like Grigo we have a ten game window to see what he/we do.

Agreed on both counts but I think both players may force the teams hand. Although in Grigo's case I think we all agree Roch is best but if he actually earns it, the he should get it. With Samson I just cant see the benefit of him going back to that level but like Grigo we have a ten game window to see what he/we do.

That is another great new avatar.

I hope he makes it. After a torrid season last season in regards to the press and attitude etc, I'm just glad he's got his head screwed on. Hope that doesn't all regress if he doesn't get picked for the big show though, and is sent down to Rochester for a year.

Would rather see Grigs up than Reinhart - providing of course Grig earns it and Reinhart needs another year in Juniors. Sam would make us a lot better which is what we don't need at the moment. The organisation would benefit from this, more so than if Sam stayed up and Grig was sent down.

I hope he makes it. After a torrid season last season in regards to the press and attitude etc, I'm just glad he's got his head screwed on. Hope that doesn't all regress if he doesn't get picked for the big show though, and is sent down to Rochester for a year.

Would rather see Grigs up than Reinhart - providing of course Grig earns it and Reinhart needs another year in Juniors. Sam would make us a lot better which is what we don't need at the moment. The organisation would benefit from this, more so than if Sam stayed up and Grig was sent down.

I think the situation is worse with Samson than it was with Grigs. I see Samson as being far ahead of Grigs at this point in time of being drafted. While Grigs was not ready for the NHL I think it would be cruel to Samson to be sent back. He is just too much better than the rest and gains nothing by going back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.