Connor McDavid - he's this good ....

SarasotaSabre

You're not serious, right?

Maybe.

I just think it's not a good policy to base your whole team on one or two great players. Sure it's nice to have the great players, but there's a lot more to building a winner than that one player.

And there are lots of cases where a player was all-everything at lower levels of play but doesn't make the jump to the bigs. And even if he does, he could blow out a knee or run into concussion problems and never be able to play up to his level of potential.

I don't know. I have the feeling that if the Sabres get McDavid he will never be the franchise savior you're all making him out to be. Maybe it's just my Buffalo Sports Fan Fatalism, but I don't think he's the answer.

please explain. i need this more than you know.

when's the last time this happened? 2000?

In the 1999 NHL entry draft the Atlanta Thrashers got the 2nd pick of each round (they ended up picking first overall after trades).

In the 2000 NHL entry draft the Columbus Blue Jackets and Minnesota Wild selected 3rd and 4th.

In the 1998 NHL entry draft the Nashville Predators selected 2nd overall.

Maybe.

I just think it's not a good policy to base your whole team on one or two great players. Sure it's nice to have the great players, but there's a lot more to building a winner than that one player.

And there are lots of cases where a player was all-everything at lower levels of play but doesn't make the jump to the bigs. And even if he does, he could blow out a knee or run into concussion problems and never be able to play up to his level of potential.

I don't know. I have the feeling that if the Sabres get McDavid he will never be the franchise savior you're all making him out to be. Maybe it's just my Buffalo Sports Fan Fatalism, but I don't think he's the answer.

It's going to take more than him. Obviously. But he's the type of prospect that changes everything. We have a plethora of very good prospects to fill the spaces around McDavid, but he's a world-class can't-miss prospect. Those don't come around often and they don't end up being busts.

Saying you don't think he's the answer doesn't make a whole lot of sense without saying what he's the answer to. Is he the answer to Jeopardy's "Who led the Sabres in scoring the first time the team won a Stanley Cup?" I don't know. Could he be the answer to the first true superstar since Hasek? Very good chance that happens if he comes to Buffalo.

In the 1999 NHL entry draft the Atlanta Thrashers got the 2nd pick of each round (they ended up picking first overall after trades).

In the 2000 NHL entry draft the Columbus Blue Jackets and Minnesota Wild selected 3rd and 4th.

It's going to take more than him. Obviously. But he's the type of prospect that changes everything. We have a plethora of very good prospects to fill the spaces around McDavid, but he's a world-class can't-miss prospect. Those don't come around often and they don't end up being busts.

Saying you don't think he's the answer doesn't make a whole lot of sense without saying what he's the answer to. Is he the answer to Jeopardy's "Who led the Sabres in scoring the first time the team won a Stanley Cup?" I don't know. Could he be the answer to the first true superstar since Hasek? Very good chance that happens if he comes to Buffalo.

I would say there is a very good chance that Sam Reinhart will be our best player since Hasek, let alone McDavid. And that may be more of an indication of how talent starved we have been for the last decade or so. Even the good teams in 2006 were more based on depth of talent than elite talent.

thanks for this.

i know there's risk with the hype machine, but there are strong indications that mcdavid is not just an elite prospect (a la tavares, say), but a generational one (a la crosby).

no joke: i bought a votive candle for this cause, and light it from time to time, and say honest-to-god prayers that the kid comes here. no one in my family knows this is why i light the candle. this makes me feel some amount of shame.

thanks for this.

i know there's risk with the hype machine, but there are strong indications that mcdavid is not just an elite prospect (a la tavares, say), but a generational one (a la crosby).

no joke: i bought a votive candle for this cause, and light it from time to time, and say honest-to-god prayers that the kid comes here. no one in my family knows this is why i light the candle. this makes me feel some amount of shame.

The thing that's scary is the drop off if there really ends up being an expansion team or two. If we don't end up first then we might end up fourth by default next year. We'll see.

But I do think McDavid is worth the hype and every loss, as long as we get there. Eichel is a FANTASTIC consolation prize, but that's nullified if expansion happens. My hope is that we get McDavid and Seattle gets Eichel (because I love the city of Seattle).

That's both incredibly dedicated and highly concerning. The McDavid hype around here is bordering obsessive territory. :unsure:

Mayhaps we can organize a mass virtual votive candle-burning when the time comes.

that goal is more amazing to me when it's played from further back in the play. the speed and control with which mcdavid barrels up-ice is breathtaking. #believethehype

That's both incredibly dedicated and highly concerning. The McDavid hype around here is bordering obsessive territory. :unsure:

ah, it's really all in fun.

mostly.

no worries that i might stalk the kid. i only have time to stalk mrs. pegula, after all.

Mayhaps we can organize a mass virtual votive candle-burning when the time comes.

i'm in.

that goal is more amazing to me when it's played from further back in the play. the speed and control with which mcdavid barrels up-ice is breathtaking. #believethehype

ah, it's really all in fun.

mostly.

no worries that i might stalk the kid. i only have time to stalk mrs. pegula, after all.

Don't worry Aud, I was just giving you a hard time.

That being said, if he does end up here all of our worries about being a perennial playoff contender will be gone. If you have Crosby-type player you make the playoffs on his skill alone every year IMO.

That's a beer league defensive mistake. I'm not taking anything away from the kid, it's just that this particular example isn't really all that spectacular.

In the NHL there will still be guys like Alex Sulzer that he could do the same thing to with a similar undressing. BTW, Congrats on the NFL.com article mentions. :thumbsup:

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

There are whispers elite 2015 prospect Jack Eichel may consider not going to BU if he could play head-to-head in OHL vs. Connor McDavid.

But Eichel currently obliged to play in QMJHL if he goes jr instead of college. Halifax originally owned his rights, now it's Saint John.

There are whispers elite 2015 prospect Jack Eichel may consider not going to BU if he could play head-to-head in OHL vs. Connor McDavid.

But Eichel currently obliged to play in QMJHL if he goes jr instead of college. Halifax originally owned his rights, now it's Saint John.

Does this look like a Jack Eichel thread?! McDavid only! :nana:

Good Lord how much fun will those games be if he is allowed to play in the OHL.

Just so everyone's clear that our best chance at McDavid is less than 50 percent.

And that's if the islanders defer and, with Buffalo, finish as the worst two teams in the league.

It's more likely to be less than 20 percent.

There are many excellent players at the top end next year. Hopefully we get one of them.

The most you can move down is 1 spot. So if NYI defer (iirc they already have), and Buffalo or NYI finish in last, then at worst we get the 2nd pick (Eichel).

Those don't come around often and they don't end up being busts.

Incorrect. First of all, even if we tank, it's not 100% we get him. Secondly, even if we get him, he could totally bust. If he gets hit hard in his third game as a Sabre and gets a concussion, he could be the next Tim Connolly- never the same once the concussions started. No guarantees. And if I've learned one thing in Buffalo sports it's this: There's no such thing as a sure thing.

So I'm not hanging my hat on McDavid. I'd love to have him, sure, and I hope we get him, but what the team really needs besides him is good chemistry, a work ethic, a better overall talent level, and a front office that can adjust to the available player market to best address the holes and issues as they arise. All that is coming regardless of McDavid. If we get him, it will help, but the Sabres need a better team, not a single savior.

Incorrect. First of all, even if we tank, it's not 100% we get him. Secondly, even if we get him, he could totally bust. If he gets hit hard in his third game as a Sabre and gets a concussion, he could be the next Tim Connolly- never the same once the concussions started. No guarantees. And if I've learned one thing in Buffalo sports it's this: There's no such thing as a sure thing.

So I'm not hanging my hat on McDavid. I'd love to have him, sure, and I hope we get him, but what the team really needs besides him is good chemistry, a work ethic, a better overall talent level, and a front office that can adjust to the available player market to best address the holes and issues as they arise. All that is coming regardless of McDavid. If we get him, it will help, but the Sabres need a better team, not a single savior.

Sure, he could get hurt. Anybody could get hurt. Pretty weak statement. He could bust, but if he's healthy then there's very little chance he doesn't become a star. Top draft picks in the NHL don't have a high bust rate, at all. And he is an unbelievable talent, so please leave TC's name out of this.

Your argument seems to be that we need more than one player so we shouldn't target this one. Do you think we should sign Callahan? If so, I say we need more than one player so we shouldn't go after him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.