Connor McDavid - he's this good ....

SarasotaSabre

Never said never. I said that they don't give the first pick to expansion teams which was a reference to my earlier post that they haven't in a while. It'll be interested when/if it happens, but I don't think they'll go against the last six teams. I'd like to know why Tampa and Florida got the first two picks, but every other team in relevant history hasn't.

You quoted a post and said they don't do it. the only thing we have to reference is the post you quoted. Words have meanings.

LOL at relevant history.

It is OK to just say you misspoke you know.

As to why they didn't award the top pick to expansion teams, my memory is a bit fuzzy on it and frankly I am too lazy to google it up, but I seem to recall a justification of not taking away the #1 pick from epically bad teams like the Islanders the year they drafted DiPietro. I recall the same reasoning with Ottawa and the chance to draft Lindros as well.

The league changed their tune on this when they felt inclined to do so. Arbitrarily it seemed.

:blink:

They don't,… except when they do.

No ######, right?

Edited by weave

Using quotation marks to indicate something I didn't say and then saying I dug my heels in on that exact word is wrong. You going to admit you're wrong on that, or am I the only one who has to admit they're wrong?

There's only one case where they gave the first pick for expansion teams in a long time. The precedent is to not do it.

And laugh at "relevant history" if you want, but it's a legitimate thing. Do you think it'd be fair for an MLB team to go to Mike Trout and say "hey, back in 1926 Babe Ruth only made $52,000 (a little less than $690,000 today) so that's all we'll give you?" No. Sports change and eras are VERY different. They'll go by modern precedent over what happened in 1970 when nothing was the same in NHL management.

Edited by Tankalicious

Using quotation marks to indicate something I didn't say and then saying I dug my heels in on that exact word is wrong. You going to admit you're wrong on that, or am I the only one who has to admit they're wrong?

There's only one case where they gave the first pick for expansion teams in a long time. The precedent is to not do it.

And laugh at "relevant history" if you want, but it's a legitimate thing. Do you think it'd be fair for an MLB team to go to Mike Trout and say "hey, back in 1926 Babe Ruth only made $52,000 (a little less than $690,000 today) so that's all we'll give you?" No. Sports change and eras are VERY different. They'll go by modern precedent over what happened in 1970 when nothing was the same in NHL management.

Note that I backed off on "never". There is an example for you, when you are in a hole, stop digging.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.