GDT: Buffalo at Tampa Bay 3-6-14 at 7:30 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

logo.png

GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

185968709_slide.jpg

GAME #62: BUF (18-35-8) at TB (34-23-5) – THU MAR 6 – 7:30 PM EST – MSG-B, BELL TVWGR-550

BUFFALO SABRES BuffaloSabresSmiley-1.png

Final Lineup

23 Ville Leino – 63 Tyler Ennis – 21 Drew Stafford ("A")

82 Marcus Foligno – 19 Cody Hodgson – 80 Chris Stewart

65 Brian Flynn – 28 Zemgus Girgensons – 27 Matt D’Agostini

32 John Scott – 37 Matt Ellis – 17 Torrey Mitchell

X: 24 Zenon Konopka (healthy), 88 Cory Conacher (immigration processing)

10 Christian Ehrhoff ("A") – 52 Alexander Sulzer

6 Mike Weber – 57 Tyler Myers

20 Henrik Tallinder ("A") – 4 Jamie McBain

1 Jhonas Enroth

34 Michal Neuvirth

Lineup News & Notes

C Zenon Konopka and D Alexander Sulzer were scratches in Monday's 3-2 loss at Dallas.

Weekly Transactions

02/28: Traded G Ryan Miller and F Steve Ott to St. Louis for G Jaroslav Halak, F Chris Stewart, and 2 draft picks.

03/05: Claimed F Cory Conacher off waivers from Ottawa.

03/05: Acquired F Nicolas Deslauriers & F Hudson Fasching from LAK for D Brayden McNabb, F Jonathan Parker, & 2 #2 picks ('14 & '15).

03/05: Acquired G Michal Neuvirth & D Rostislav Klesla from WAS for G Jaroslav Halak & a #3 pick in '15.

03/05: Acquired F Torrey Mitchell & 2 #2 picks ('14 & '16) from MIN for F Matt Moulson & F Cody McCormick.

According to the Stats

In the last 10 games, Buffalo has gone 4-5-1.

Tyler Ennis returned to score both their goals in a 3-2 loss to Dallas & has 4G in his last 3 games.

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING SmileyTBL-1.png

Final Lineup

17 Alex Killorn – 91 Steven Stamkos ("C") – 16 Teddy Purcell

24 Ryan Callahan – 51 Valtteri Filppula – 86 Nikita Kucherov

18 Ondrej Palat – 9 Tyler Johnson – 11 Tom Pyatt

23 J.T. Brown – 44 Nate Thompson ("A") – 71 Richard Panik

X: 12 Ryan Malone (healthy), 19 B.J. Crombeen (healthy)

77 Victor Hedman – 6 Sami Salo

25 Matt Carle ("A") – 8 Mark Barberio

2 Eric Brewer – 21 Michael Kostka

X: 7 Radko Gudas (leg), 3 Keith Aulie (healthy)

39 Anders Lindback

30 Ben Bishop

Lineup News & Notes

Tampa Bay scratched D Radko Gudas, D Michael Kostka, and F Vladislav Namestnikov in Tuesday's 4-2 loss at St. Louis.

Weekly Transactions

03/03: Reassigned G Kristers Gudlevskis to Syracuse (AHL); Recalled G Anders Lindback (conditioning) from Syracuse (AHL).

03/05: Reassigned F Vladislav Namestnikov to Syracuse (AHL); Recalled F Richard Panik from Syracuse (AHL).

03/05: Traded F Martin St. Louis to the NYR for F Ryan Callahan and two picks ('14 1st/'15 2nd).

03/05: Acquired F Jonathan Audy-Marchessault and F Dalton Smith from CBJ for F Dana Tyrell and D Matt Taormina.

According to the Stats

In the Last 10 games, Tampa Bay has gone 3-7-0.

Teddy Purcell has an assist in four of the past five games.

PREGAME LINKS

03/04 – GAME RECAP: SABRES WIN STREAK HALTED AT 3 BY STARS (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com

03/04 – GAME RECAP: Bolts Let Lead Evaporate in Loss to Blues (Missy Zielinski – Lightning Beat Reporter)

03/04 – BEYOND THE BOARDS: SABRES SPEND TRADE DEADLINE EVE AWAY FROM RINK (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

03/05 – NEWS: SABRES STAY BUSY ON DEADLINE DAY (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

03/06 – Rebuilding Sabres busy at trade deadline, not done overhauling roster (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

03/05 – New-look Lightning get Stamkos back to face Sabres (Sean McCullen – NHL.com)

03/05 – Game Preview: 3/6/14 at Tampa Bay Lightning (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

03/04 – Jon Cooper discusses how the Lightning are slipping in some areas after a 4-2 loss to St. Louis. <3:12>

03/05 – Steven Stamkos speaks to media on being cleared to play and what it means to return to his team. <5:19>

03/05 – Steve Yzerman and Jon Cooper talk about recent transactions as well as the return of Steven Stamkos. <2:36>

03/05 – Dan Dunleavy recaps trade-deadline day for the Buffalo Sabres <2:28>

03/05 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media on trade-deadline day. <3:43>

03/05 – Sabres GM Tim Murray met with the media at First Niagara Center following the Trade Deadline. <16:24>

03/05 – Matt D'Agostini speaks with the media on trade-deadline day. <2:01>

03/05 – Chris Stewart speaks with the media on trade-deadline day. <1:57>

03/05 – Matt Ellis speaks with the media on trade-deadline day. <1:07>

03/06 – Sabres at Lightning Game Notes PDF (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

03/06 – Press Clips: 3/6/14 at Tampa Bay Lightning (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

03/06 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at Tampa Bay Times Forum. <3:30>

03/06 – Dan Dunleavy previews Thursday night's game against the Lightning at Tampa Bay Times Forum. <3:14>

03/06 – THE MORNING SKATE: MITCHELL WILL MAKE SABRE DEBUT IN TAMPA (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

03/06 – Michelle Gingras previews tonight's matchup between the Buffalo Sabres and Tampa Bay Lightning. <2:00>

03/06 – Drew Stafford speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at Tampa Bay Times Forum. <3:46>

03/06 – Michal Neuvirth speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at Tampa Bay Times Forum. <3:24>

03/06 – Torrey Mitchell speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at Tampa Bay Times Forum. <3:25>

03/06 – NEWS: With distractions behind, Lightning poised for playoff push (Missy Zielinski – Lightning Beat Reporter)

03/06 – Nolan glad trade deadline has passed; Hasek going into team Hall of Fame (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

03/06 – Joe Sacco speaks with Sabres.com prior to Thursday night's game against the Lightning at Tampa Bay Times Forum. <1:59>

POSTGAME LINKS

03/07 – NHL POST-GAME NEWSLETTER: Buffalo Sabres @ Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL.com)

03/07 – GAME RECAP: SABRES YOUNG LEADERS STEP UP TO BEAT LIGHTNING (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

03/07 – Dan Dunleavy recaps the Sabres 3-1 win against the Lightning. <2:38>

03/07 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following the Sabres 3-1 win against the Lightning.. <2:38>

03/07 – Marcus Foligno speaks with the media following the Sabres 3-1 win against the Lightning. <3:01>

03/07 – Jhonas Enroth speaks with the media following the Sabres 3-1 win against the Lightning. <2:19>

03/07 – Cody Hodgson speaks with the media following the Sabres 3-1 win against the Lightning. <1:32>

03/07 – Tyler Myers speaks with Brian Duff following the Sabres 3-1 win against the Lightning. <3:30>

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

This rebuild obviously started before today. The actual date could be left up for debate. But this past week the team was stripped bare. With tons of draft picks, FA market, tons of $$ and tons of cap room............ this day should be considered rock bottom. Right? It should only get better from here, albeit slowly...... right? RIGHT? my-fingers-are-crossed-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Why does Nolan keep foolishly putting Leino on the top line ? How does a player go from 6 minutes of ice time to the top line ? I know the team isn't filled with talent, but I'd much rather see Flynn or Ellis up there. Putting Leino on that line does nothing but stifle Ennis and Stafford IMO.

I'm not yet sold on Nolan being the Sabres coach for any long term, he's getting more effort out of a lot of players but, his matchups and line combos leave me scratching my head more often then not. According to WGR reports (always solid :rolleyes: ), Murray is heading down to Florida tomorrow to talk to Nolan about the contract extension.

New member here. Been over at TwoBillsDrive for awhile but never joined here. Looking forward to game tonight. Go Sabes!! (Or are we hoping to tank?)

Welcome ArtWanderer :thumbsup:

My guess would be this board is about 80-20 in favor of the "tank", but I could be wrong.

Why does Nolan keep foolishly putting Leino on the top line ? How does a player go from 6 minutes of ice time to the top line ? I know the team isn't filled with talent, but I'd much rather see Flynn or Ellis up there. Putting Leino on that line does nothing but stifle Ennis and Stafford IMO.

I'm not yet sold on Nolan being the Sabres coach for any long term, he's getting more effort out of a lot of players but, his matchups and line combos leave me scratching my head more often then not. According to WGR reports (always solid :rolleyes: ), Murray is heading down to Florida tomorrow to talk to Nolan about the contract extension.

I have been wondering about why Leino has gotten so much ice time? What does Ted Nolan see in him that no one else does? It's honestly made me start questioning if Nolan is the right guy to coach this team.

Or is Upper Management telling Nolan he has to play him because he cost so much? I doubt the latter - Nolan doesn't strike me as a guy who would let a suit push him around.

So Stamkos is back.. Oh goody. Interesting line: 18 Ondrej Palat – 91 Steven Stamkos ("A") – 24 Ryan Callahan
Why does Nolan keep foolishly putting Leino on the top line ? How does a player go from 6 minutes of ice time to the top line ? I know the team isn't filled with talent, but I'd much rather see Flynn or Ellis up there. Putting Leino on that line does nothing but stifle Ennis and Stafford IMO. I'm not yet sold on Nolan being the Sabres coach for any long term, he's getting more effort out of a lot of players but, his matchups and line combos leave me scratching my head more often then not. According to WGR reports (always solid :rolleyes: ), Murray is heading down to Florida tomorrow to talk to Nolan about the contract extension.

Not sure about the line combos after yesterday, but I made an educated guess. We'll really know after the morning skate and updates from each team's website.

New member here. Been over at TwoBillsDrive for awhile but never joined here. Looking forward to game tonight. Go Sabes!! (Or are we hoping to tank?)

What an awful first post. Sabes? Really? And two exclamation points?? Sentence fragments. Who the ###### do you think you are? Throwin' haymakers right off the bat. You have a lot to learn about this wonderful community. We don't put up with stuff like this. Fly right. Watch it.

(Just beating nfreeman, d4rk and others to the punch.)

Ellis is probably a downgrade from Leino. Matty won't make all the boneheaded plays Ville makes but he won't provide anything else either other than a warm body to kick the puck around in the corner. I don't really see Flynn as much of an upgrade either. Three fourths of the team is devoid of talent, it's going to be hard to create real scoring lines.

What an awful first post. Sabes? Really? And two exclamation points?? Sentence fragments. Who the ###### do you think you are? Throwin' haymakers right off the bat. You have a lot to learn about this wonderful community. We don't put up with stuff like this. Fly right. Watch it.

:lol:

Jeez.

Welcome ArtWanderer. Pay no mind to the crazy uncle quoted above. Just don't get into a car with him.

GO SABRES (or whoever these guys are)!

Hey mister sausage-fest fanboi president, don't let all that power go to your head.

:cry: *I knew I should have stayed at the MyLittlePonyFriendshipRainbow.com message board.* And by the way, what's with the TWO question marks above?(???!!!)

Welcome ArtWanderer :thumbsup:

My guess would be this board is about 80-20 in favor of the "tank", but I could be wrong.

I think that's a good estimate. Same as Bills fans when we get to late October.

Not sure about the line combos after yesterday, but I made an educated guess. We'll really know after the morning skate and updates from each team's website.

Well that top line of ours is sure striking fear into the Lightning tonight. Stamkos might have more points alone than our whole projected first line :sick:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.