Jaroslav Halak and a third-round 2015 draft pick to the Capitals in exchange for goaltender Michal Neuvirth and Rostislav Klesla.

Brawndo

Not 30 year old's facing unrestricted free agency there isn't. Where Moulson is in his career and where the Sabres are in their rebuild don't align.

Fans need to stop trying to fix this years team and start looking 3-4 years down the line. If not you're going to be extremely frustrated.

This team will be fun to watch in two years. Its all about four players. A first line and a goalie. They have the defense and with all the prospects already in the system they should have no problem coming up with forwards 4 through 12 and a back up goalie. They have two drafts to fill the top line assuming one of the pieces they have doesn't rise to that level and free agency or trade to find their goalie.

I don't think your looking at the big picture. McNabb couldn't make this team full time with two different coaches. And it's a last place team! Yes he's a big kid but I think Murray wants guys who can move the puck and skate. And lets face it McNabb isn't one of the best skaters. Obiviously Murray and Devine seen something in Fasching that made them want to trade for the kid. Darcy would have never made a deal like this. I like it. If they like the kid they went after him. I like what Murray is doing. Neuvirth fell out of favor with Washington but Murray see's this as his chance to rebuild himself. The kid is only 25. I like the moves today. We are building this year and next thru the draft. After a couple of years people can rip Murray for what he did or didn't do.

I see your points. However, firstly I think there is a bit of love for these deals "because Darcy wouldn't do them" - just because something is different doesn't make it better. DR's issue was that he was good at acquiring decent assets but could never work out how to put the jigsaw puzzle together. He kept getting edge pieces (joke about lack of centres :P). This team has nothing at the moment, so we can kind of build from anywhere so I do like acquiring assets. Moreover, people on this board were so paranoid about our historic lack of centres that few seemed to realise we literally had no wingers that could possibly make the NHL outside Armia. So again, I like the filling in the holes.

The Sabres D is a bit unusual last 2 years as we have, probably because of 06, had an obscene log-jam of defenceman. McNabb couldn't make the team because we had 8 veterans above him, all of whom were harder to send down than he (who is on a 2-way contract). He was a victim of circumstance as much as anything. Listening to Murray's press conferences has given me a bit of confidence, however, I think he is also trying to pick players who have dropped in their drafts, so in theory should have been higher picks, and thus we can potentially get a great player for an average price. But at the same time this means rather than trade for a Rattie or a Toffolli and forgoing some extra picks he is playing a riskier game. It could work out, which is great. But if it doesn't, the rebuild is getting extended by another year.

I also want veterans on this team. By that I mean guys like Ott or Ehrhoff, not D'Agostini. Guys who can be trusted to carry the wright a little, even if ineffectual, so that the young guys are not smothered. I think trying to make a team of 60% under 25 is not a good method.

As I said, it isn't like Murray was atrocious today, but he got seemingly average prospects/players/cast offs at average prices(at best). If I am going to pay the asking price I think I would rather have one or two grade A NHL ready players, than 4 C grade, but with potential of A grade 3 years off the NHL-players

They gave Neuvirth Miller's number 30... I officially want Enroth to be 10x as good as Neuvirth and Neuvirth can be a backup forever.

Total d1ck move.

You don't have to retire Miller's number, but you can unofficially retire it for a while by keeping others away from it. The guy just spent a decade as the backbone of our team.

Total d1ck move.

You don't have to retire Miller's number, but you can unofficially retire it for a while by keeping others away from it. The guy just spent a decade as the backbone of our team.

Agreed. What message are they sending and to whom?

Total d1ck move.

I have no problem with it. He's not on an entry contract. He should be able to pick any available number- especially the one he's worn.

Agreed. What message are they sending and to whom?

Something to do with rebuilding Neuvirth's confidence and showing he is accepted and important?

Personally I think Miller's number should be on the don't-use list for a while. At least until someone starts playing well enough they can 'inherit' it

I know we gave up a 3rd rounder but how long will it take for that 3rd rounder to actually make a difference for Washington? Most times you are lucky with your 1st round pick making the team let alone your 3rd (and if they do it's because they are a decent filler).

We got a few first round picks with the trade that we made this season. Let's see where the chips fall after the draft. Who knows what we will do with these new picks we acquired.

Something to do with rebuilding Neuvirth's confidence and showing he is accepted and important?

Personally I think Miller's number should be on the don't-use list for a while. At least until someone starts playing well enough they can 'inherit' it

Don't tell JJ but Neuvirth actually has better stats

I see your points. However, firstly I think there is a bit of love for these deals "because Darcy wouldn't do them" - just because something is different doesn't make it better. DR's issue was that he was good at acquiring decent assets but could never work out how to put the jigsaw puzzle together. He kept getting edge pieces (joke about lack of centres :P). This team has nothing at the moment, so we can kind of build from anywhere so I do like acquiring assets. Moreover, people on this board were so paranoid about our historic lack of centres that few seemed to realise we literally had no wingers that could possibly make the NHL outside Armia. So again, I like the filling in the holes.

The Sabres D is a bit unusual last 2 years as we have, probably because of 06, had an obscene log-jam of defenceman. McNabb couldn't make the team because we had 8 veterans above him, all of whom were harder to send down than he (who is on a 2-way contract). He was a victim of circumstance as much as anything. Listening to Murray's press conferences has given me a bit of confidence, however, I think he is also trying to pick players who have dropped in their drafts, so in theory should have been higher picks, and thus we can potentially get a great player for an average price. But at the same time this means rather than trade for a Rattie or a Toffolli and forgoing some extra picks he is playing a riskier game. It could work out, which is great. But if it doesn't, the rebuild is getting extended by another year.

I also want veterans on this team. By that I mean guys like Ott or Ehrhoff, not D'Agostini. Guys who can be trusted to carry the wright a little, even if ineffectual, so that the young guys are not smothered. I think trying to make a team of 60% under 25 is not a good method.

As I said, it isn't like Murray was atrocious today, but he got seemingly average prospects/players/cast offs at average prices(at best). If I am going to pay the asking price I think I would rather have one or two grade A NHL ready players, than 4 C grade, but with potential of A grade 3 years off the NHL-players

I said this before and I will say this again from last year that the rebuild was going to take a few years and that it would be 3-5 years before we seen the playoffs but leaning more towards 5 years. This team wasn't going anywhere with Miller, Moulson, Ott, and whoever former sabres you want to throw in there. The big picture is the Stanley Cup and lets face it with Pom's and Vanek and the previous players I had mention they were still a long way from being a team that could contend.

Not 30 year old's facing unrestricted free agency there isn't. Where Moulson is in his career and where the Sabres are in their rebuild don't align.

Fans need to stop trying to fix this years team and start looking 3-4 years down the line. If not you're going to be extremely frustrated.

A team full of 21 year olds isn't going anywhere no matter how talented they are.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.