Jaroslav Halak and a third-round 2015 draft pick to the Capitals in exchange for goaltender Michal Neuvirth and Rostislav Klesla.

Brawndo

Can the OP add Klesla to the title?

I know right!?!?!? Man if this was my thread I would have fixed it by now. Chz must have partied last nig

Sorry did not realize that this was moved to its own thread. Originally posted in trade deadline day thread.

Also now that Kiesla has refused to report to the Sabres Organization this trade just got a whole lot worse.

No. Klesla was never going to factor into the future here and was just another body for the present.

I wasn't referring to Kiesla.

I think trading a starting goaltender and a 3rd round pick in an extremely deep draft for an backup goaltender is a steep price.

Now if Neuvirth turns out to be the second coming of his childhood hero then that is a completely different story.

I think trading a starting goaltender and a 3rd round pick in an extremely deep draft for an backup goaltender is a steep price.

Now if Neuvirth turns out to be the second coming of his childhood hero then that is a completely different story.

Goalies are precious commodities. I know, I've extolled the virtues of mid-round draft picks before. But I'm starting to like this trade a little more. I originally was dead against it, but I'm ok with it now. I think the Sabres will either use Neuvirth (as a starter, and certainly, he still has that potential, as does ETHRON) or flip him for a second-round pick next February. Klesla is a waste of time and a salary dump that the Sabs were willing to accept.

Edited by Eleven

Neuvirth doesn't need to be great. We didn't trade a starter. We traded our backup for a backup who is younger and under control.

I wish we wouldn't have given the pick, but I will give Neuvirth a chance.

Neuvirth doesn't need to be great. We didn't trade a starter. We traded our backup for a backup who is younger and under control.

I wish we wouldn't have given the pick, but I will give Neuvirth a chance.

Neuvirth looked pretty good last night and watching the Enroth/Neuvirth Combo should be fun next year. If it was a fifth or sixth round pick that would have been less painful.

Who knows maybe the pick will be reduced since Kiesla did not report.

Edited by BRAWNDO

Given the fact that goalies take longer to emerge, don't you think this is just a case of exactly what Murray was talking about: acquiring young players who, for whatever reason, have been squeezed out in their organization.

I think this trade hasn't got enough respect here. It's basically a rental for a goalie with potential.

He and Enroth — two 25-year-old former second-rounders — will compete throughout next year for the starter's job and contract.

Edited by dudacek

I've been on board with this particular trade; it was pretty shrewd to set up the team with another potential starter. This is the reason, along with the cap space the Sabres have, I said elsewhere they could ice a team next season that could compete for eighth.

If both goalies continue to play at the level we have seen, they'll either have a goalie problem of the good kind, or go back to calling them 1a and 1b.

I've been on board with this particular trade; it was pretty shrewd to set up the team with another potential starter. This is the reason, along with the cap space the Sabres have, I said elsewhere they could ice a team next season that could compete for eighth.

If both goalies continue to play at the level we have seen, they'll either have a goalie problem of the good kind, or go back to calling them 1a and 1b.

They'll be co-starters. This much I am sure of.

This team will also be perfectly capable of making a run to 9th next year. It's going to happen.

As I try to remain unbiased because I like Enroth and would like to see him play 60 games............... I think this is a good trade. I've mentioned on here several times that my ultimate goalie combination are two good starters in which the coach plays the hot hand. I think all goaltenders are streaky and should get playing time based on their recent play. With that said, I think this plays out perfectly. I don't think you guys give Neuvirth enough credit. He had one average year with a .903 save percentage, but he's followed that up with .914, .914, .914, .910. Not Vezina worthy but very consistent.

I for one am glad Neuvirth is wearing 34. That immediately shows me some character and sensitivity that may endear him to the fans. His stopping a blizzard of shots the other night will do it too.

I for one am glad Neuvirth is wearing 34. That immediately shows me some character and sensitivity that may endear him to the fans. His stopping a blizzard of shots the other night will do it too.

The one and only thing that will endear him to fans is stopping shots. Nothing else matters.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.