So who really is Joe Battista and does he belong with the Sabres

North Buffalo

Goodness, why do you have to ruin the fun with all of this rational stuff?

Watch the video of Pat Lafontaine. Battista is NOT the employee of Tim Murray. He is higher than Murray on the organizational depth chart. He was shadowing Lafontaine and part of the process that HIRED Murray....

Goodness, why do you have to ruin the fun with all of this rational stuff?

Yes, quite rational. Quoting the Sabres' presser, googling Joe Battista for the first time ("sounds like he knew Pegula from Penn State) and concluding that Battista is something like a Dwight Schrute. Good find by Ghost. Battista holds real power.

Yes, quite rational. Quoting the Sabres' presser, googling Joe Battista for the first time ("sounds like he knew Pegula from Penn State) and concluding that Battista is something like a Dwight Schrute. Good find by Ghost. Battista holds real power.

I guess the question now is whether that power benefits the Sabres or hinders them.

Watch the video of Pat Lafontaine. Battista is NOT the employee of Tim Murray. He is higher than Murray on the organizational depth chart. He was shadowing Lafontaine and part of the process that HIRED Murray....

All he says in the video is that he wanted to go there with Battista. If Battista was PLF's VP, I'm sorry, I don't see how that indicates anything other than a President taking his VP along for business; an incredibly unremarkable, mundane and common occurrence.

On the Sabres' website, he is listed above GM as well. I don't know, did Black misspeak? Did Black try and deceive? I don't like Black, but I'm having a problem with the ever-growing web of probable mis-deeds.

If I believed the premise that there was some sort of internal "power struggle" then perhaps I could respect these new threads of silky connivers.

I do not buy the "power struggle" premise.

I can not believe Pegula would go through all of the past three years and not learn from his mistakes - that he bought the Sabres to help facilitate his progression to Emperor of the World. I think he was happy to have PLF here over-seeing development of the team itself after learning he can't do it without a "hockey guy".

I can see him, or any executive, being numb to executive level politics, but I think any sane business person will be extremely careful not to further damage an already damaged organization like the Sabres are.

Battista is a hockey person, it's clear. I also can accept that it is likely he's being groomed to ascend the ladder further, but presently he has no NHL experience. If PLF was out before the big trade, and that seems likely based on the timeline the Sabres have provided, perhaps they rearranged the hierarchy and put Battista under Murray. That could have happened as early as last Wednesday. That would then make Black's comments accurate.

So, to summarize, I think the premises are flawed: there is no evidence to suggest Pegula is meddling via his "inner circle". Pegula has proven to be patient, why would he back-peddle only months into his new outlook on owning a team when it took him years to get rid of Regier?

I think the "power struggle" is a smokescreen.

I think Nolan is suffering from shell-shock. The guy, in about four months, went from doing nothing special, to coaching a NHL team, coaching an outsider Olympic team into a respectable finish, to losing more-than-likely some of his favored/best players, to seeing his buddy resign in shame and a cloud of mystery, to having to decide whether he wants to commit long-term to this whirl-wind lifestyle. I would look like Nolan after all of that, if I would have stuck around this long, to be honest.

I think this entire drama, is that, a drama that had to occur because of years of prior neglect and denial. It's all just happening at once now. Which actually works in favor of the organization: the more the demons that are exorcised, and the quicker that happens, the better.

Edited by sizzlemeister

I have no idea if Battista was directly involved with Lafontaine leaving. I also hope that Patty is being patient and allowing the trade deadline to pass before making any public comment. That seems to me what a guy of his magnitude would do. If he pulls a Darcy and bolts town with nary a thank you and goes into hiding, then I will have to re-evaluate my views. For now, I have seen all the major players in action for a multitude of years and scenarios, and it is easy for me to believe there is more than meets the eye.

There are a few stories rumbling where it makes the Sabres look to be noble in this and Lafontaine goofed. I don't buy it for a second, because they would have had weeks if not months to prepare for the fallout. The uncertainty and chaos involved with this and the delayed reaction as well as vagueness from the parties involved lead me to believe that is not the case. Any mickeymouse group could have planned and presented an amicable departure.

Pat will be fine. He led a potential ownership group in a possible spearhead to buy a team. That's why I don't believe for 1 second he bailed to go to a protected league job. If he bailed, it was for moral reasons more than likely, and Nolan's reaction the past few days supports that as well.

So, to summarize, I think the premises are flawed: there is no evidence to suggest Pegula is meddling via his "inner circle".

Is that what this thread is trying to be?

It wasn't Pegula meddling, it was one of Pegula's guys...

Idiotic conspiracy theorists couldn't provide evidence that Pegula was "meddling" (which was loosely defined for convenience), so now every ###### guy that gets hired in the front office gets put on trial as a tool for Pegula to remotely do his meddling? For ######'s sake. That is brain-rottingly stupid.

I have no idea if Battista was directly involved with Lafontaine leaving. I also hope that Patty is being patient and allowing the trade deadline to pass before making any public comment. That seems to me what a guy of his magnitude would do. If he pulls a Darcy and bolts town with nary a thank you and goes into hiding, then I will have to re-evaluate my views. For now, I have seen all the major players in action for a multitude of years and scenarios, and it is easy for me to believe there is more than meets the eye.

There are a few stories rumbling where it makes the Sabres look to be noble in this and Lafontaine goofed. I don't buy it for a second, because they would have had weeks if not months to prepare for the fallout. The uncertainty and chaos involved with this and the delayed reaction as well as vagueness from the parties involved lead me to believe that is not the case. Any mickeymouse group could have planned and presented an amicable departure.

Pat will be fine. He led a potential ownership group in a possible spearhead to buy a team. That's why I don't believe for 1 second he bailed to go to a protected league job. If he bailed, it was for moral reasons more than likely, and Nolan's reaction the past few days supports that as well.

Not if they had no say in the matter. Assuming the leaks did not come from the Sabres, then the Sabres were not in control of the story. Perhaps the Sabres had planned for PLF to leave after the deadline, saying "PLF feels his job is accomplished and that the team is in good hands with TM and CP. PLF has decided that the he would only get in the way of any further advancement of the organization. Since his former job at the NHL has not been filled, the NHL is welcoming him back so PLF can return to NYC, which he misses."

But, apparently someone jumped the gun, and they were only able to use part of what they had prepared for after the deadline.

Yes, because I'm sure T-Pegs comes on here daily to give a flying ###### about your "disgust." /sarcasm

No, he has an intern do it. "So what's up on SS, $intern?" "The usual people are complaining, the usual are defending, and GoDD is throwing out conspiracy stories." "How close are the theories?" "Eh, not as bad as some." "Ok, thanks. Moving on."

Is that what this thread is trying to be?

It wasn't Pegula meddling, it was one of Pegula's guys...

Idiotic conspiracy theorists couldn't provide evidence that Pegula was "meddling" (which was loosely defined for convenience), so now every ###### guy that gets hired in the front office gets put on trial as a tool for Pegula to remotely do his meddling? For ######'s sake. That is brain-rottingly stupid.

Did you not read the tags for this thread?

Not if they had no say in the matter. Assuming the leaks did not come from the Sabres, then the Sabres were not in control of the story. Perhaps the Sabres had planned for PLF to leave after the deadline, saying "PLF feels his job is accomplished and that the team is in good hands with TM and CP. PLF has decided that the he would only get in the way of any further advancement of the organization. Since his former job at the NHL has not been filled, the NHL is welcoming him back so PLF can return to NYC, which he misses."

But, apparently someone jumped the gun, and they were only able to use part of what they had prepared for after the deadline.

What had they prepared? The story ran unchecked with speculation for a full day and no details were given in a grumpy presser. If this was something in the pipeline, it would have been much more clean.

The Sabre sympathetic rumblings didn't come out until much later...and after alumni, and other potential sympathetic avenues had already heard from reputable people that it was ugly and not the case. If you are solid, squash it fast, or don't ever let there need to be anything squashed at all. To me it sounds as if there was an elaborate story concocted from a partial truth that would never have escalated to a point of no return, and to which was easily explainable. I am trying not to do that here myself with the Sabres organization, but I know who I trust. If there is a rational explanation for all this, then so be it...maybe we will eventually get some of it....but the fact that I laid out the exact scenario as to what could have happened a few months ago has me not too thrilled right now.

What had they prepared? The story ran unchecked with speculation for a full day and no details were given in a grumpy presser. If this was something in the pipeline, it would have been much more clean.

The Sabre sympathetic rumblings didn't come out until much later...and after alumni, and other potential sympathetic avenues had already heard from reputable people that it was ugly and not the case. If you are solid, squash it fast, or don't ever let there need to be anything squashed at all. To me it sounds as if there was an elaborate story concocted from a partial truth that would never have escalated to a point of no return, and to which was easily explainable. I am trying not to do that here myself with the Sabres organization, but I know who I trust. If there is a rational explanation for all this, then so be it...maybe we will eventually get some of it....but the fact that I laid out the exact scenario as to what could have happened a few months ago has me not too thrilled right now.

Come on, don't ignore what I wrote. They were caught off guard. Black was at his kid's hockey game, they probably had to gather the big boys from where ever they were to figure out how to respond. The dragging response absolutely indicates this. They probably had a plan, but SOMEONE ELSE started the story, the leak was from an unexpected source, and it happened well out of the boundaries of whatever plan they may have had with whatever parties were involved.

That can happen to any organization.

And, you know what, I'm actually thankful for it. Because this means Pegula will probably be a lot more willing to approve offer sheets.

I think this entire drama, is that, a drama that had to occur because of years of prior neglect and denial. It's all just happening at once now. Which actually works in favor of the organization: the more the demons that are exorcised, and the quicker that happens, the better.

This leaves me confused. I need dots connected.

Come on, don't ignore what I wrote. They were caught off guard. Black was at his kid's hockey game, they probably had to gather the big boys from where ever they were to figure out how to respond. The dragging response absolutely indicates this. They probably had a plan, but SOMEONE ELSE started the story, the leak was from an unexpected source, and it happened well out of the boundaries of whatever plan they may have had with whatever parties were involved.

That can happen to any organization.

And, you know what, I'm actually thankful for it. Because this means Pegula will probably be a lot more willing to approve offer sheets.

Sizzle....they traded away the Face of their Franchise the past decade and their Captain less than 24 hours previous. This wasn't Labor Day weekend. Am I to believe marketing, press, and operations were all sucking Pina Coladas in Key West the past few days?

If so, they are more clueless than we have ever given them credit for.

Sizzle....they traded away the Face of their Franchise the past decade and their Captain less than 24 hours previous. This wasn't Labor Day weekend. Am I to believe marketing, press, and operations were all sucking Pina Coladas in Key West the past few days?

If so, they are more clueless than we have ever given them credit for.

The trade was Friday. They were done with the trade and made the proper official announcements. They had Ott and Miller tributes for the game. I would call that prepared.

Murray could have told the crew that there probably won't be further trades until Monday at the earliest, everyone get their rest, because Monday - Wednesday will be tough. I have all of your phone numbers in case I need you.

Are they supposed to be neurotic, sitting on pins and needles for a week straight? Where's the confidence in being like that? They had a plan, someone outside of the plan shat all over it.

The trade was Friday. They were done with the trade and made the proper official announcements. They had Ott and Miller tributes for the game. I would call that prepared.

Murray could have told the crew that there probably won't be further trades until Monday at the earliest, everyone get their rest, because Monday - Wednesday will be tough. I have all of your phone numbers in case I need you.

Are they supposed to be neurotic, sitting on pins and needles for a week straight? Where's the confidence in being like that? They had a plan, someone outside of the plan shat all over it.

Yes....how many here have logged 80-100 hour work weeks, especially when a project or key date is involved?

So...who crapped on the plan then? Who would leak it and why? We had a 0.13 veiled proclamation by their AP writer at 3 AM here.....maybe someone should ask him?

Yes....how many here have logged 80-100 hour work weeks, especially when a project or key date is involved?

So...who crapped on the plan then? Who would leak it and why? We had a 0.13 veiled proclamation by their AP writer at 3 AM here.....maybe someone should ask him?

But Wawrow's posts were just about the Miller trade -- there was no hint of anything involving PLF.

Computers, laptops, tablets, cell phones.

Let's see: loaded front office; loaded coffers; new, highly regarded and aggressive GM, tons of cap room...who in the world would want to upset that apple cart? And before the trade deadline?

Edited by sizzlemeister

yep. that's what happened Dwight. Larry gave me this one. weird!?

jw

what's absolutely odd, is that the Ghost of Dwight Drane has enjoyed quite some time of holding court over this message board in suggesting he might know what's going on. i'd humbly suggest that, according to my sources, that reign just might be over.

But Wawrow's posts were just about the Miller trade -- there was no hint of anything involving PLF.

You think he's taking a victory lap for predicting Ryan Miller would get traded, along with 96% of the town???????? At 3AM??????

You think he's taking a victory lap for predicting Ryan Miller would get traded, along with 96% of the town???????? At 3AM??????

Well, he was responding to this jab from you:

Gibby must have been sipping the Duty Free vodkies from Sochi and felt bad for the old friend....

This is almost like the report on the Bills....do the Old Guard sources get the scoop, or will Ted and Bob Mac counter with the details 45 minutes before the trade???.....

So the back-and-forth was entirely about the trade.

As for the timing, there are plenty of insomniac posters here.

This one is a leap too far, IMHO.

John W. -- if you're out there, howzabout some info?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.