So who really is Joe Battista and does he belong with the Sabres

North Buffalo

After reading the Buffalo News article about the situation, Joe Battista's name came up again. Who is this guy and why is he meddling with the Sabres.

Is he the reason for this turmoil and as has been intimated in a few mentions, should he really be part of the Sabres operations?

"The key difference is Pegula’s cronies are here in the building and having direct, on-the-scene impact. Joe Battista, who carries the title of vice president of hockey-related businesses, is nothing more than a longtime Pegula buddy who has no business being around an NHL operation.

Nolan certainly seemed unhappy to get the word to pull Ott and Miller from the lineup from Battista. Murray said he was still on the phone working the trade and time was certainly a factor, as the game was less than an hour away.

But Battista has exactly zero NHL experience before this year. He spent the last 26 years at Penn State and was a longtime coach of its club program before facilitating Pegula’s $88 million donation for the university’s arena.

Battista is clearly here to help with the growth of HarborCenter. You can bet LaFontaine didn’t like how he was becoming a player on the NHL side of the business. Black said Battista’s role has not grown, but others will tell you it has.

Murray, remember, is still a rookie GM. You don’t send an NHL neophyte down to tell the head coach an hour before a game his captain and franchise goaltender have to sit because they’re traded. Bad optics for sure."

BN, By Joe Harrington.

This is pretty damning

His resume from Penn State: resume

He has some hockey experience, but not any NHL experience. Seems like little more than a well connected gopher and endowment guy. I can't see how he is part of this unless he got over his head and somehow convinced TPegs he was doing the right thing... by meddling.

The LaFontaine situation smells like something higher up... Ted Black or someone else who has Pegula's ear that we haven't heard about yet.

Still, this begs the question, who screwed this up and anyone have a sense if it was Battista?

Pegula had three billion dollars, the willingness to spend a lot of that money and the stated desire to win a Cup and then another one. He had the ability to literally scan the globe and find the best hockey people, yet he has never looked beyond the end of his nose. He has ended up with cronies, and cronies of cronies. He knew Cliff Benson. Benson knew Black from when Benson, an accountant, serviced the Pens. Sawyer had hired Black, and Black returned the favor. Battista? Harrington is right. He has no business daring to speak to a Ted Nolan about anything, let alone an impending trade of a franchise player and the lineup implications thereof.

Pegula has cluster######ed this franchise. The only pleasure I take is in being right.

When they had the press conference to announce PLF coming on board (and TN, too, right?) didn't some of us wonder whether the announcement was going to be about Battista? I even recall some suggestion that bringing on Battista could be a positive sign in ending the DR era--so desperate were we for a change.

The only pleasure I take is in being right.

<_<

Battista? Harrington is right. He has no business daring to speak to a Ted Nolan about anything, let alone an impending trade of a franchise player and the lineup implications thereof.

Yeah. He should have refused when Murray told him to give Ted the word.

Pegula has cluster######ed this franchise. The only pleasure I take is in being right.

Probably a little too much. This is how companies work. Individuals, right or wrong, ingrain themselves with upper management. Usually a kiss ass that no one likes or respects. They work themselves into a position of prominence for all the wrong reasons. They either parlay this role into a long time position in the company or what usually happens is that they will eventually make their boss look foolish somehow and dissapear quietly when no one is looking. We'll see what happens. Seemingly, Pegula sided with his boy on this matter.

Can we stop with the super dramatic language, like "how dare he" or "no business being around a NHL franchise"? It's Terry's team, he can run it how he sees fit.

Battista? Harrington is right. He has no business daring to speak to a Ted Nolan...

:rolleyes:

Edited by inkman

Probably a little too much. This is how companies work. Individuals, right or wrong, ingrain themselves with upper management. Usually a kiss ass that no one likes or respects. They work themselves into a position of prominence for all the wrong reasons. They either parlay this role into a long time position in the company or what usually happens is that they will eventually make their boss look foolish somehow and dissapear quietly when no one is looking. We'll see what happens. Seemingly, Pegula sided with his boy on this matter.

Can we stop with the super dramatic language, like "how dare he" or "no business being around a NHL franchise"? It's Terry's team, he can run it how he sees fit.

:rolleyes:

I hear you but the dramatic language, though hyperbole, is so much fun to use and in this case more like a cattle prod to keep the weasels who created this problem squirming. I think someone's head should role and I want a scapegoat. If Battista is the designated sacrifice... fine... if it be someone else so be it, but someone in TPegs inner circle should fall on their sword and the sooner a volunteer comes forward the better. It has to happen.

I hear you but the dramatic language, though hyperbole, is so much fun to use and in this case more like a cattle prod to keep the weasels who created this problem squirming. I think someone's head should role and I want a scapegoat. If Battista is the designated sacrifice... fine... if it be someone else so be it, but someone in TPegs inner circle should fall on their sword and the sooner a volunteer comes forward the better. It has to happen.

I think the sword...er...Sabre has already been fallen on. See LaFontaine, Pat.

I have no problem with Battista, mostly because I have no idea whether or not he is qualified to be around this organization (although, I tend to believe that he is). My guess is that Harrington has no idea either.

I agree with this. I find speculation based on the speculation of Buffalo News "reporters" unfortunate and worthless.

In isolation, the idea that it was offensive that Battista went down to relate news of the trade to TN is ... weird. In isolation, the idea that TN would be offended by Battista's passing along the news is ... weird.

Again, in isolation: TM's on the phone buttoning up what he felt was a really good deal, and he finds a warm body to go down to the locker room to make sure he's performing the first piece of the deal (hold those guys out of warm-ups). Definitively NBD.

The only way this makes sense is that if this were part of some larger picture wherein Battista was stepping all over PLF's toes, and PLF had had enough, and TN was aware of the friction and therefore bristled when Battista showed up.

I made a vow never to read Harrington again, so maybe that's the theory he's floating in his piece. It's one that seems plausible.

Battista? Harrington is right. He has no business daring to speak to a Ted Nolan about anything, let alone an impending trade of a franchise player and the lineup implications thereof.

Yeah. He should have refused when Murray told him to give Ted the word.

In isolation, the idea that it was offensive that Battista went down to relate news of the trade to TN is ... weird. In isolation, the idea that TN would be offended by Battista's passing along the news is ... weird.

Again, in isolation: TM's on the phone buttoning up what he felt was a really good deal, and he finds a warm body to go down to the locker room to make sure he's performing the first piece of the deal (hold those guys out of warm-ups). Definitively NBD.

The only way this makes sense is that if this were part of some larger picture wherein Battista was stepping all over PLF's toes, and PLF had had enough, and TN was aware of the friction and therefore bristled when Battista showed up.

I made a vow never to read Harrington again, so maybe that's the theory he's floating in his piece. It's one that seems plausible.

I'm with you guys. The entire notion of questioning this is beyond ridiculous. This is a total non issue.

Yes, because I'm sure T-Pegs comes on here daily to give a flying ###### about your "disgust." /sarcasm

Good post.

Not sure the timing jibes with the reports that PLF had resigned a few days before the trade though.

In any case I agree that Battista conveying the message to TN should have been a non-event. It's not like Battista made the decision -- he was just the messenger.

And Harrington continues to be a bozo.

I'm with you guys. The entire notion of questioning this is beyond ridiculous. This is a total non issue.

Well, there's some questioning that needs to occur, and there was an issue. I just don't -- I don't know.

As I think about it, Harrington may have the core issue correct (PLF had no clear place in a house full of cronies), but may be errantly adding the Battista-to-TN trade report as part of that issue. PLF was out of the picture by then, it appears. It may have been a benign echo of the more fundamental issues that prompted PLF to leave.

I don't know. But I do crave answers. Real answers.

TB's "per the comments ... he resigned" email ain't cutting it. As much as I hate to say it, TB gives some credence to that old saw about "how do you know when a lawyer's lying?" ("his lips are moving.")

Well, there's some questioning that needs to occur, and there was an issue. I just don't -- I don't know.

As I think about it, Harrington may have the core issue correct (PLF had no clear place in a house full of cronies), but may be errantly adding the Battista-to-TN trade report as part of that issue. PLF was out of the picture by then, it appears. It may have been a benign echo of the more fundamental issues that prompted PLF to leave.

I don't know. But I do crave answers. Real answers.

TB's "per the comments ... he resigned" email ain't cutting it. As much as I hate to say it, TB gives some credence to that old saw about "how do you know when a lawyer's lying?" ("his lips are moving.")

LaFontaine leaving is an issue that I frankly do not care about. He had a chance to be the GM, but declined it because he felt that he was unqualified to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities that the job demands at the NHL level. He subsequently hired very well qualified hockey people in the persons of Murray and Patrick. If he later lamented not having more say or the final say after the fact, well too FN bad.

Sounds like he was just being a Diva to me. I don't need answers, I've already moved on.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Battista coached friggen club hockey at Penn State! It's not a stretch to imagine him going from that rinky dink role to sitting next to Tim Murray at a critical moment in team history, cell phone in hand, relaying info. to Terry and the rest. He was the owner's point man on this. It's not a small deal. Going down to the lockerroom to tell Nolan, well that's just ball-swinging at its finest. You know how Italians are.

Come on, ladies and gents, if we can't agree that the Sabres front office is a joke (giving Murray the benefit of the doubt for now), we're not going to agree on anything. (And I am the contrarian! Ha!)

LaFontaine leaving is an issue that I frankly do not care about. He had a chance to be the GM, but declined it because he felt that he was unqualified to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities that the job demands at the NHL level. He subsequently hired very well qualified hockey people in the persons of Murray and Patrick. If he later lamented not having more say or the final say after the fact, well too FN bad.

Sounds like he was just being a Diva to me. I don't need answers, I've already moved on.

Again, though, he was already "gone" before TM made the trade on Friday. I don't think the issue was that he had a Dr. Frankenstein moment -- "what have I wrought?!" -- where his people, TM and CP, were basically doing everything he had wanted to do. It seems clear that he had a conflict somewhere else in the organization.

Whether this falls mostly on PLF (being a diva, or whatever) remains to be seen.

And I buckled and read that Harrington piece, because it's only there that there are remarks about how there's been talk that PLF was proving to be a difficult person to work with (outbursts, inflexibility).

And I buckled and read that Harrington piece, because it's only there that there are remarks about how there's been talk that PLF was proving to be a difficult person to work with (outbursts, inflexibility).

Can we leave my sex life out of this?

Battista coached friggen club hockey at Penn State! It's not a stretch to imagine him going from that rinky dink role to sitting next to Tim Murray at a critical moment in team history, cell phone in hand, relaying info. to Terry and the rest. He was the owner's point man on this. It's not a small deal. Going down to the lockerroom to tell Nolan, well that's just ball-swinging at its finest. You know how Italians are.

Come on, ladies and gents, if we can't agree that the Sabres front office is a joke (giving Murray the benefit of the doubt for now), we're not going to agree on anything. (And I am the contrarian! Ha!)

Relaying info makes the go sound like a go'fer. Hardly the stuff that makes you a super-meddler.

It was asked at the press conference yesterday what the role of Joe Battista was. You can rely on actual information instead of wildly imaginative speculation, if you choose.

[from 7:53 of the press conference of Ted Black and Tim Murray]

Q: "What is Joe Battista' role in the organization? Why is he telling Ted Nolan to pull Ryan Miller and Steve Ott out of the lineup?"

Tim Murray: "I sent him down to do that because I was on the phone doing the trades.

Q: "You sent him down?"

Tim Murray: "Yes I did."

Q: "Ted, what is [Joe Battista's] role in the organization?"

Ted Black: "His title is Vice President of Hockey-Related Businesses. So he works with the Hockey Department, and that's his role."

Q: "Has that changed in the last couple of months? Has his influence or his role increased?"

Ted Black: "No, I wouldn't say so. No. He would be in the Hockey Department. He would be underneath of the GM. He doesn't really do much on the business administrative side, although, like everyone else on our team, we interact together obviously."

Without seeing more information, it sounds like he's in a highly paid position somewhere between Assistant General Manager and Assistant to the General Manager. Reading his bio, it sounds like he knew Pegula from Penn State, where he helped launch the new NCAA hockey program. The guy was a co-founder of the ACHA (which has almost 500 teams in it now), was Head Coach of the Penn State ACHA team for 19 years (winning six national titles), and worked for the Penguins for a few years.

He's a hockey guy doing hockey things, working underneath Tim Murray. Doesn't, on paper, seem like the type to maliciously try to work outside of his job title.

This "telling Ted Nolan about Ryan and Steve" is all complete junk. Battista was asked to do a simple clerical task by the person he works for, when the person he works for was understandably busy with a crucial last-minute-before-gametime deal. Absolutely nothing more, and it's not worth any more conversation.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

When they had the press conference to announce PLF coming on board (and TN, too, right?) didn't some of us wonder whether the announcement was going to be about Battista? I even recall some suggestion that bringing on Battista could be a positive sign in ending the DR era--so desperate were we for a change.

<_<

Battista was hired 3 days after the opening of the Penn State arena. He is Penn St. through and through, and the fact that he left in the middle of the season, days after the start of a big new era, was telling that he had a major role to play with the Sabres. I suggested it was a positive sign that Pegula may have finally understood the franchise was a disaster, and that Battista could hasten up the departure of Regier because he at least had some hockey knowledge and Pegula trusts his opinion.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22163-joe-battista-will-do-what-exactly/page__hl__+battista%20+drane#entry519875

I also warned that it could backfire if Pegula was crazy enough to think Battista could run the show on his own.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22203-gm-speculation/page__st__280#entry528432

Battista was sent with Lafontaine to interview the GM candidates, and traveled with him. I said I would give the Sabres the benefit of the doubt that it was Battista learning the ropes, and that it could be a positive if he could be a direct report to the owner while keeping Lafontaine and the GM free to do their jobs. I also warned that if he stepped on toes and turned into a mole, that Patty would leave like he did in NY, and we should then panic about meddling. I set it up plain as day, and gave Pegula the benefit of the doubt then.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22203-gm-speculation/page__st__280#entry528419

@2:55 of interview

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22201-bury-the-pegula-hatchet/#entry525153

PA and Yuri were holding tight, and the romantic in me wanted to cover up the scars of distrust with a giant Band-Aid. Well...that Band-Aid just got ripped off, and took 30% of my body hair with it.....

It was asked at the press conference yesterday what the role of Joe Battista was. You can rely on actual information instead of wildly imaginative speculation, if you choose.

Without seeing more information, it sounds like he's in a highly paid position somewhere between Assistant General Manager and Assistant to the General Manager. Reading his bio, it sounds like he knew Pegula from Penn State, where he helped launch the new NCAA hockey program. The guy was a co-founder of the ACHA (which has almost 500 teams in it now), was Head Coach of the Penn State ACHA team for 19 years (winning six national titles), and worked for the Penguins for a few years.

He's a hockey guy doing hockey things, working underneath Tim Murray. Doesn't, on paper, seem like the type to maliciously try to work outside of his job title.

This "telling Ted Nolan about Ryan and Steve" is all complete junk. Battista was asked to do a simple clerical task by the person he works for, when the person he works for was understandably busy with a crucial last-minute-before-gametime deal. Absolutely nothing more, and it's not worth any more conversation.

Goodness, why do you have to ruin the fun with all of this rational stuff?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.