OFFICIAL: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to St. Louis for Chris Stewart, Halak, Carrier and two picks

Hoss

When evaluating Chris Stewart and his future with the Sabres may I remind all who the head coach is of the Sabres. IMO, Chris Stewart's size and game makes him the prototypical Ted Nolan player.

I think that's a good point. Stewart was not a Hitchcock player, maybe Nolan connects to him, but...isn't only signed through next season?

I expected that moving a top 5ish in the league goalie and a top flight 3rd line / decent 2nd line LW with grit, faceoff ability, and oodles of leadership to a legit Stanley Cup contender would get us something more immediate than a prospect that is still a couple years out and two picks that won't see the light of FnC for at least 3 years. Hell, the prospect we did get isn't even among StL's top 3 prospects.

We got alot. But I'm not interested in equating numbers of return with quality of return. I'd rather see one ready-for-primetime player that was at the top of their prospect pool than a pile that looks like Drew Stafford heavy and 3 guys with a 50/50 shot of contributing in the NHL.*IF* all this works out we aren't going to see any gain from it for another 4 friggin years. I guess that is my issue with the trade results. I can stomach another year. Not exactly willing, but, you know. But I don't want picks. No more fecking picks. we need players ready to play.

I'm willing to wait. I don't want them to patch together a team that's just good enough to make playoffs, I want a team that can make a serious run and that will take time

I'm willing to wait. I don't want them to patch together a team that's just good enough to make playoffs, I want a team that can make a serious run and that will take time

I disagree with your 2nd sentence. Well, to be more specific, I disagree that it has to take more than two seasons. But you need to get ready for NHL players in these trades to make it happen sooner than 4 years.

@Hockey_tracker: TSN reports the #Sabres asked for #Senators Mike Hoffman in any potential Chris Stewart trade

Little guy. Hmmmm...

That can't be right

Generally the guys at TSN would know. What makes you say that can't be right? Hoffman's name has been floated here ever since Murray came on board.

Mike hoffman we'll get when we send moulson + stewart to the senators, that is the least we should get then.

We'd get more than Hoffman for just Stewart probably. Sending both there would hopefully get us Hoffman, Prince and a conditional 2nd or 3rd.

Hey, Stewart is a legit roster player in return, and you're looking to get rid of him ASAP! :P

(Joking of course, I know you don't want another pick in return)

I have no idea why people aren't happy with this trade. The last few days, consensus was talking down what we could get for Miller.

Murray said he did this in 2 stages. Miller 1st then Ott. For Miller, a UFA, you Halak, Stewart, and a conditional 1st. The Blues were 5-2 to win the Western Conference BEFORE the trade. That means there is a 40% chance they will be in the conference finals. Add the prospect of Miller resigning and it is probably better than a coinflip you get the 2014 1st rounder. Halak is an average starter and is worth a 2nd in his own right. Stewart has plenty of value. He is still young and it's pretty funny watching him get dismissed. He is 2 years younger than Stafford, and has 15 less goals than him in 120 less games...is bigger, and has a history of playing physical. That's 4 reasons he is better than Stafford in general. He's better than Steve Ott, except for consistency of leadership. I would be absolutely fine if he was a Sabre going forward, especially under Nolan.

For Ott you got a 2015 1st round pick, and a recent 2nd rounder who dropped because of injury. Both of these trades were in-line, or better than expected on a value basis, and you got first jump by setting the market. We all know the UFAs were gone. By doing this early, not only does it increase the pressure on teams like ANA, LA and Vancouver to do something and possibly overpay for guys like Ehrhoff, Myers, Moulson....but it now allows Murray free-time to actually explore and work on potential hockey trades that were not automatic. It's a lot harder pondering shipping out guys like Myers, Hodgson or Foligno when you are spending the last few days and hours trying to squeeze blood out of a rock on the guys who HAVE to be moved. Now...maybe you spend 3 days going back and forth with Anaheim in a controlled process. You weren't going to get Gibson for Miller...but how about Myers being involved?

I love the fact that we set the market for once, did it out west where we can feel more comfortable making further trades, and got fair value at the very least.

Well if they want Myers, they'll have to pay a huge price, im talking a 1st liner + prospect + 1st round 2015 pick is where you start.

During summer i would have said trade him, but his play lately doesn't want me to see him leave anymore.

Which is why you move him now....

He's had a history of being fragile. Let some other team play out the risk/reward scenario. We are lucky he is back from the abyss. Be happy if he has real value, because 3 months ago his contract probably made him close to untradeable.

Remember....Murray is like a consultant coming into a company at this point. These aren't his guys, and unless he loved someone before he got here, the most efficient move is for him to maximize value and acquire players or picks that will turn into players that HE loves. It's time to convert into Murray Currency....

I have no idea why people aren't happy with this trade. The last few days, consensus was talking down what we could get for Miller.

Murray said he did this in 2 stages. Miller 1st then Ott. For Miller, a UFA, you Halak, Stewart, and a conditional 1st. The Blues were 5-2 to win the Western Conference BEFORE the trade. That means there is a 40% chance they will be in the conference finals. Add the prospect of Miller resigning and it is probably better than a coinflip you get the 2014 1st rounder. Halak is an average starter and is worth a 2nd in his own right. Stewart has plenty of value. He is still young and it's pretty funny watching him get dismissed. He is 2 years younger than Stafford, and has 15 less goals than him in 120 less games...is bigger, and has a history of playing physical. That's 4 reasons he is better than Stafford in general. He's better than Steve Ott, except for consistency of leadership. I would be absolutely fine if he was a Sabre going forward, especially under Nolan.

For Ott you got a 2015 1st round pick, and a recent 2nd rounder who dropped because of injury. Both of these trades were in-line, or better than expected on a value basis, and you got first jump by setting the market. We all know the UFAs were gone. By doing this early, not only does it increase the pressure on teams like ANA, LA and Vancouver to do something and possibly overpay for guys like Ehrhoff, Myers, Moulson....but it now allows Murray free-time to actually explore and work on potential hockey trades that were not automatic. It's a lot harder pondering shipping out guys like Myers, Hodgson or Foligno when you are spending the last few days and hours trying to squeeze blood out of a rock on the guys who HAVE to be moved. Now...maybe you spend 3 days going back and forth with Anaheim in a controlled process. You weren't going to get Gibson for Miller...but how about Myers being involved?

I love the fact that we set the market for once, did it out west where we can feel more comfortable making further trades, and got fair value at the very least.

Very good take.

GO SABRES!!!

More complications on the conditional pick:

http://espn.go.com/b...ger-pick-change

If we get the 2014 first, we give the a 2nd and 3rd back.

I just found this also and it makes the deal not so sweet for the Sabres. However, what would you rather have a 1st rounder near the bottom (St.Louis) vs. a 2nd rounder in the middle (Minnesota) and a 3rd rounder at the top (Buffalo)?

We know what Tim Murray thinks. If you use trade value charts, the Blues clearly get the better deal. I thought the Sabres won the trade until the conditional details were revealed. At this point, it looks even pending a lot of unknowns.

Which is why you move him now....

He's had a history of being fragile. Let some other team play out the risk/reward scenario. We are lucky he is back from the abyss. Be happy if he has real value, because 3 months ago his contract probably made him close to untradeable.

Remember....Murray is like a consultant coming into a company at this point. These aren't his guys, and unless he loved someone before he got here, the most efficient move is for him to maximize value and acquire players or picks that will turn into players that HE loves. It's time to convert into Murray Currency....

From his words about who he drafts, something along the lines of his love for agile, mobile defensmen, a-la Karlsson, Myers would be one of his favorite kind of d-men

From his words about who he drafts, something along the lines of his love for agile, mobile defensmen, a-la Karlsson, Myers would be one of his favorite kind of d-men

Agree here. He's a Murray kind of player on the blue line. And Myers may be on the verge of becoming that generational D-man we've seen glimpses of.

GO BO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.