OFFICIAL: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to St. Louis for Chris Stewart, Halak, Carrier and two picks

Hoss

There are 3 guys who have a statue and their jersey's retired...who never won anything either.

That's not the point...you honor your best players, look how many players the Bills have honored, what have they won?

(They are 2 of the best players in franchise history, and by far the 2 best goalies we have ever seen wear the blue and gold.)

Ryan Miller is not one of the two best players to ever play for the Sabres. He's not in the top five.

And the Buffalo Bills went to four straight superbowls and have only ONE retired number.

The Sabres have been to two finals and have six retired numbers. I think the French connection is fine. So is Patty. I don't think Gare and Horton should be up there. And I don't think Miller should get up there. I don't think anybody should wear his number for a while, but it shouldn't be retired.

I do think he deserves a nice warm welcome back tribute when he returns with his new team.

Edited by Tankalicious

In the end im happy with the returns, they did miller a favour by sending him to a contender.

And with brodeur and thomas most likely hitting the market, the time to do a deal was now. Don't think we could have gotten more out of any miller trade than this.

This is a very good deal for the Sabres. They get a decent prospect, a 1st round pick and a potential additional 1st round. Halak is a piece to be moved later.

At 26 years old, an extension for Stewart should become a priority. He has all the attributes a team looks for. This is a guy I can see part of something special when this team is taking that step to contender status 3-4 years from now.

Good job by TM. Looking forward to more moves.

Ryan Miller is not one of the two best players to ever play for the Sabres. He's not in the top five.

And the Buffalo Bills went to four straight superbowls and have only ONE retired number.

The Sabres have been to two finals and have six retired numbers. I think the French connection is fine. So is Patty. I don't think Gare and Horton should be up there. And I don't think Miller should get up there. I don't think anybody should wear his number for a while, but it shouldn't be retired.

I do think he deserves a nice warm welcome back tribute when he returns with his new team.

I'm not big on retired numbers but why LaFontaine and not Miller? Miller has done a lot more than LaFontaine for this franchise.

Let's name the two goals, one Hasak and one Miller. Start a sports trend... Starting in the home Hasak goal for the Sabres tonight is .... while defending the away Miller goal is ....

Edited by wjag

This is a very good deal for the Sabres. They get a decent prospect, a 1st round pick and a potential additional 1st round. Halak is a piece to be moved later.

At 26 years old, an extension for Stewart should become a priority. He has all the attributes a team looks for. This is a guy I can see part of something special when this team is taking that step to contender status 3-4 years from now.

Good job by TM. Looking forward to more moves.

I'm in the flip him camp. I like Stewart, but he didn't fit in Hitchcock's tight checking system. He was the St. Louis whipping boy - deserved or not, he was St. Louis's Drew Stafford. .

Get value for him now. There is a chance Stewart's career gets revitalized here....but the team is much better off with a dependable veteran mentor.

Flip him. He's more valuable to Ottawa today than he is to Buffalo's future.

I'm in the flip him camp. I like Stewart, but he didn't fit in Hitchcock's tight checking system. He was the St. Louis whipping boy - deserved or not, he was St. Louis's Drew Stafford. .

Get value for him now. There is a chance Stewart's career gets revitalized here....but the team is much better off with a dependable veteran mentor.

He's just another .5 PPG guy. I'm w/ you; flip him.

Yep.

He's just another .5 PPG guy. I'm w/ you; flip him.

And yep.

From where I am sitting this trade netted us a support player that wasn't deemed good enough for a Cup contender, a prospect that may or may not be worthy of a late 1st round pick (in other words a 50/50 shot to make the NHL) that we won't know much about at the NHL level for probably 3 years, and two picks that won't come to fruition for at least 3-4 years.

I know we needed to get something for these guys but a downgrade over Ott, a mediocre goalie that likely won't want to be here on July 1,, a prospect with a 50/50 shot of making the NHL, and two picks doesn't excite me at all.

Gonna have to be worked into something that is 1. a little more immediate, and 2. higher potential for me to give this move much love at all.

There are 3 guys who have a statue and their jersey's retired...who never won anything either.

That's not the point...you honor your best players, look how many players the Bills have honored, what have they won?

(They are 2 of the best players in franchise history, and by far the 2 best goalies we have ever seen wear the blue and gold.)

No, you're right. Great idea. In the statue, Miller can be on his hands and knees kissing Hasek's skate.

I too am concerned that the Sabres didn't get a young gun for this. It may not have been able to happen for just Miller, but you had to think trading both Miller and Ott would have netted you one up and coming guy. Stewart is not that, will see about Carrier... and late round 1st rounders are just that, who knows.

Numbers as people have said before don't make quality. I am more excited about the 2015 first round pick. Flip Steward and the conditional pick for a prospect or two if Erhoff is included.

Halak declined to comment when reached at the team’s hotel, saying the trade “was still fresh.”

As he entered an elevator, Halak added: “You’re getting a good goalie. Good luck in the playoffs.”

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/blues-decide-it-s-miller-time/article_b657bc0c-62d2-597f-9918-02ae636c295e.html

Halak declined to comment when reached at the team’s hotel, saying the trade “was still fresh.”

As he entered an elevator, Halak added: “You’re getting a good goalie. Good luck in the playoffs.”

http://www.stltoday....ae636c295e.html

Hopefully his anger at being dealt here results in poor play, and therefore contributes to our tank.

Hopefully his anger at being dealt here results in poor play, and therefore contributes to our tank.

He won't play much per Nolan. If the Sabres sent him to some contender that needs a backup, what do we think they could get for him? Second-round pick this year would be fine by me.

I've been consistent in my opinion that any trade of Miller was going to be unsatisfactory to me. I don't see the blueprint to success when you trade all your good, seasoned players with ability for draft picks.

Haters gonna hate. He wasn't coming back after this season. You wanted him here for a few more months and gone for good with no return? That's an even worse blueprint to success.

Stafford emotional during his post-game press conference when talking about Miller. Huh, guess he is human..

Brian Duff showed why he's the man. He poked Stafford at times to comment and definitely empathized with him but then asked him to tell a funny moment to get Stafford to lighten up for a moment. That was a great interview. Brian Duff may not be with the Sabres broadcast crew for very long... someone national is going to want him.

I can't wait to see Noureen's reaction when she has to fly into the St. Louis airport.......the Ukrainian airport is probably more aesthetic at this point......

So, the home of Anheuser-Busch is pinning it's hopes on Miller Time. That should be interesting!

Bottom line, if Ott doesn't re-sign here in the off-season it's safe to say he wasn't going to sign during this season and so the Sabres got value. The market sucked for goaltenders so the Sabres got a pretty good haul for a limited market and given the additions the chances are good that the Sabres get a better pick than a 2016 3rd.

The Sabres are on a 3 game win streak, beating Boston and San Jose in that span and people are talking about how bad they are. I love it. They'll be better sooner than the haters think, that much is certain.

Haters gonna hate. He wasn't coming back after this season. You wanted him here for a few more months and gone for good with no return? That's an even worse blueprint to success.

And Meme'rs gonna meme

I believe an offer he could not refuse would have been made.

Edited by wjag

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.