GDT FINLAND v USA

Eleven

But those Russian "top guys" aren't their top guys because their top guys are playing in the NHL so who cares?

And do you really think an unpaid tournament every four years is going to be more important to some players than years and years of big money?

I also think there is no way the NCAA wouldn't let their players represent their country.

Half of Russia's roster is KHL players, so half of Russia's top guys would still get to play.

To players who already have made big money, yes, I think it's going to be more important.

Why doesn't an NCAA team have the same injury concerns?

...but no other NHL team would allow him to go, so switching NHL teams wouldn't make a difference. And, he is free to go to the KHL right now should he decide to. I doubt guys would pass up a chance to play in the world's top league for a 2 week tournament played every 4 years. But, if it is that important to them then so be it. That's their choice.

On the flip side, I could see teams writing Olympic clauses into future contracts should NHLers continue to go. Tavares getting hurt in a non-NHL game is an absolute killer for a team like the Isles.

That assumes that all teams stand together and don't let their players go, which wasn't what I was addressing.

And an absolute killer for the Isles? They already were dead.

What would these clauses do?

Some NHL teams would let their players go - probably one of the best ways to sign top talent. Team A is offering me $7.8 million and says I can go to the Olympics team B is offering me $8 million but says absolutely not. I wonder which they pick.

All comes down to game theory in the end.

This is what I'm envisioning.

But those Russian "top guys" aren't their top guys because their top guys are playing in the NHL so who cares?

And do you really think an unpaid tournament every four years is going to be more important to some players than years and years of big money?

I also think there is no way the NCAA wouldn't let their players represent their country.

Kovi's not a 'top guy?' :huh: Don't let DeLuca see that post or he may go all Eddie on you. ;)

The guys outside NA dream about winning the Olympics, not the SC. The KHL doesn't have a salary cap. They already pull some top talent. If there's also an uncapped Superleague, western Euros may stay home as well. Not getting to compete in the Olympics is just 1 more item in the 'stay in Europe' column.

Some NHL teams would let their players go - probably one of the best ways to sign top talent. Team A is offering me $7.8 million and says I can go to the Olympics team B is offering me $8 million but says absolutely not. I wonder which they pick.

All comes down to game theory in the end.

Interesting last sentence. ...If the board only knew what I do for a living. :P

Edited by Potato

Kovi's not a 'top guy?' :huh: Don't let DeLuca see that post or he may go all Eddie on you. ;)

:lol:

But Russia with Kovi and none of the NHLers (or the bottom half of their "top guys" ;) ) would be right about where the rest of the teams would be anyway. I still see it as a wash.

Well, I do empirical work too. :D

It honestly doesn't make sense to me why empiricists are so "down" on game theory. I was trained that even in the world of empirics, theory should drive choices. So while game theory isn't my thing, I do have an appreciation for it. But so many (including the former chair of my department) think it's basically without value.

In an attempt to get back on track, there is some silver lining for us Americans: help is on the way for 2018! Jones, Galchenyuk, Eichel (maybe? would be a huge boon if he's ready).

I don't think any country has 6 defensemen that are anywhere close to the group of Shea Weber, Doughty, Keith, Pietrangelo, and company. So, I'm not surprised the Canadians shut down the U.S. offense. But, there are only 4 Finnish NHL defensemen (Risto would be #5). So for them to shut down our offense completely is troubling. I think Rask had a lot to do with that though.

It honestly doesn't make sense to me why empiricists are so "down" on game theory. I was trained that even in the world of empirics, theory should drive choices. So while game theory isn't my thing, I do have an appreciation for it. But so many (including the former chair of my department) think it's basically without value.

Empirical analysis helps you figure out how things are (or often were) being done; game theory and, more generally, modeling help you figure out how things should be done. Empirics gives values for the parameters of a model. You need both to make decisions. Anyone who favors one and diminishes the other has missed the point.

American team didn't even act interested. I think all they cared about was the gold. I couldn't watch it straight thru, but the bits and pieces I did see were awful. I recorded the game but doubt I will even bother watching. That was a fugly outing.

At least only 3 more days until the NHL season starts again.

I could see if they peppered Rask and couldn't score but they didn't even show up today. Very disappointing.

American team didn't even act interested. I think all they cared about was the gold. I couldn't watch it straight thru, but the bits and pieces I did see were awful. I recorded the game but doubt I will even bother watching. That was a fugly outing.

At least only 3 more days until the NHL season starts again.

I'm more interested in the trade deadline. Draft lottery and the draft now. Plus now with Tavares out the Islanders will probably keep their 2014 1st rounder since they will finish in the bottom 5. Which is okay with me because who knows how long Tavares will be out for and if he misses any of next season so I think they won't be much better. It's not like free agents are lining up to go to the island.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I can't watch, but did I hear Kane had 2 penalty Shots and missed them both!!!! And Finland scored 2 goals in 11 seconds... Were they on quick, or the D?

I don't believe Kane scored even one goal in the entire tourney. The commentators wondered if the frustration and disappointment from the Olympics could affect Kane's play when he returns to the Blackhawks mid-week.

I honestly think it may eat at some players for a little while, but players that are on good teams will easily forget once the Nhl kicks back into full swing as they have their eyes on a bigger trophy..

On a side note, my dolphin browser isn't letting me quote anybody, it's an on and off bug, but since I always post from my cell, it's rather annoying..... If I use the stock browser it let's me quote, but the reply button at the bottom is missing.... Ugh

I honestly think it may eat at some players for a little while, but players that are on good teams will easily forget once the Nhl kicks back into full swing as they have their eyes on a bigger trophy..

On a side note, my dolphin browser isn't letting me quote anybody, it's an on and off bug, but since I always post from my cell, it's rather annoying..... If I use the stock browser it let's me quote, but the reply button at the bottom is missing.... Ugh

Take two of these and call me in the morning.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/partners/

http://www.opera.com/mobile

I'm more interested in the trade deadline. Draft lottery and the draft now. Plus now with Tavares out the Islanders will probably keep their 2014 1st rounder since they will finish in the bottom 5. Which is okay with me because who knows how long Tavares will be out for and if he misses any of next season so I think they won't be much better. It's not like free agents are lining up to go to the island.

Seeing as the draft experts all say the 2015 draft is deeper, then I'm quite fine with that.

They'll suck next year as well, they're the Oilers of the east.

Edited by Kristian

I was disappointed that I had to work during the last two games... but man, now I am not. Interesting that both the Russians and Americans collapsed after tough losses. Guess it is hard for the big guys to take a punch in the mouth. The Canadians simply play hockey, tough game or not. Good lesson to learn. I figure with as much pressure both teams had on them and as close as the talent was, collapses were inevitable, though the American collapse's size was a little surprising.

Back to the trade deadline discussion.

Wonder if Bylsma is questioning his decision on this game.

Starting Quick in front of Miller was just wrong, and the hockey gods have spoken.

I am not always a Miller fan and we all know he can be streaky, but for the Olympics he has always elevated his game to a crazy-good level.

This was Miller's year, he has played lights out for a team that cannot buy a goal, he carried the last Olympic team on his back and nearly stole the gold, at 34 this likely was the last year where he had enough in the tank to backstop the US team, and most importantly the US players trust him back there to play their "fast game" and take chances. Quick played pretty darn good in the game against Canada, but he let in the first goal that had the US team playing tight from that point on.

In the game against Finland, Quick was playing with a disfunctional team in front of him that had mentally run for the bus - that is Miller time and familiar territory for him. He let in a softy and they just mailed it in from then on. Quick at 28 will have his shot, but the roles should have been reversed with Quick backing up Miller and perhaps being the starter next Olympics.

Poor choice by Bylsma

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.