GDT FINLAND v USA

Eleven

I'm not going to blame a goalie on his second game in less than a day, and for the reason millbank stated, it was nothing short of necessary to start Quick. But Ben Bishop should be in there at this point instead of sitting on his couch.

You must be crushed :P

I'm not one to criticize coaching, but does team USA not look precisely like Pittsburgh in the playoffs recently when things start to go south? Just completely disorganized and shell-shocked.

Yes. Even with their wizard of a coach.

I'm not one to criticize coaching, but does team USA not look precisely like Pittsburgh in the playoffs recently when things start to go south? Just completely disorganized and shell-shocked.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

The contacts are insured. The issue isn't the money, it is the missing time

That's the whole point. The Isles lose Tavares for the season and have to pay him. No way teams can keep allowing their best players to be exposed to injury for a couple of weeks every 4 years. Plus, stopping the season for two weeks in the middle of the playoff race is awkward.

Embarrassing, typical product of the American t-ball mentality.

Very much like Pittsburgh.

That's the whole point. The Isles lose Tavares for the season and have to pay him. No way teams can keep allowing their best players to be exposed to injury for a couple of weeks every 4 years. Plus, stopping the season for two weeks in the middle of the playoff race is awkward.

So what do we do when the KHL decides to let its players play, but the NHL doesn't?

Happy for the Finns in this. The no Bobby Ryan on this team will be questioned for quite a while.

The criticism/worry of the US team was it went for grit over offense. They just got shutout in back to back games. Hard to defend that when people pointed it out before the Olympics.

Look at all the top guys in the final four teams. As long as the worlds best players are still in the NHL, it will effect most countries equally anyway.

If I am a UFA I might sign a one year deal with the KHL so I can play in the Olympics...

Maybe I like it. Maybe I extend my time there. Suddenly young players have a better chance of representing their country at the highest level if they stay in Europe

Happy for the Finns in this. The no Bobby Ryan on this team will be questioned for quite a while.

As it should be. A huge mistake to leave him out. Obviously an offensively-average guy like TJ Oshie has his place in a tournament that relies on shootouts and allows him to go multiple times, but Backes? Wheeler? Instead of Ryan? Bad move.

So what do we do when the KHL decides to let its players play, but the NHL doesn't?

IMHO, you keep the normal NHL season and teams have the choice of sending guys or not sending guys. I think teams might send their top prospects - for example the Sabres would allow AHL guys like Risto to play - but NHL guys like Girgs would almost certainly not be allowed to go.

Look at all the top guys in the final four teams. As long as the worlds best players are still in the NHL, it will effect most countries equally anyway.

1. What 38 said, and 2. those top guys won't be playing, but Russia's top guys will, Latvia's top guys will, etc. And the USA and Canada will be dressing college kids (and then, only if the NCAA allows it).

IMHO, you keep the normal NHL season and teams have the choice of sending guys or not sending guys. I think teams might send their top prospects - for example the Sabres would allow AHL guys like Risto to play - but NHL guys like Girgs would almost certainly not be allowed to go.

And then Girgensons says he won't be a Sabre as soon as his contract expires. Or he goes to the K.

1. What 38 said, and 2. those top guys won't be playing, but Russia's top guys will, Latvia's top guys will, etc. And the USA and Canada will be dressing college kids (and then, only if the NCAA allows it).

And then Girgensons says he won't be a Sabre as soon as his contract expires. Or he goes to the K.

But those Russian "top guys" aren't their top guys because their top guys are playing in the NHL so who cares?

And do you really think an unpaid tournament every four years is going to be more important to some players than years and years of big money?

I also think there is no way the NCAA wouldn't let their players represent their country.

Edited by SwampD

...but no other NHL team would allow him to go, so switching NHL teams wouldn't make a difference. And, he is free to go to the KHL right now should he decide to. I doubt guys would pass up a chance to play in the world's top league for a 2 week tournament played every 4 years. But, if it is that important to them then so be it. That's their choice.

On the flip side, I could see teams writing Olympic clauses into future contracts should NHLers continue to go. Tavares getting hurt in a non-NHL game is an absolute killer for a team like the Isles.

Yup. The NHL doesn't have a monopoly on top talent though they get ALL of the NA and most of the Eurasian top talent as well.

Pulling out of the Olympics is exactly what the KHL & a potential Euro Superleague would ask for. It would be an extreme ST benefit LT loss for the NHL and fans on this side of the pond.

...but no other NHL team would allow him to go, so switching NHL teams wouldn't make a difference. And, he is free to go to the KHL right now should he decide to. I doubt guys would pass up a chance to play in the world's top league for a 2 week tournament played every 4 years. But, if it is that important to them then so be it. That's their choice.

On the flip side, I could see teams writing Olympic clauses into future contracts should NHLers continue to go. Tavares getting hurt in a non-NHL game is an absolute killer for a team like the Isles.

What would these clauses do?

Some NHL teams would let their players go - probably one of the best ways to sign top talent. Team A is offering me $7.8 million and says I can go to the Olympics team B is offering me $8 million but says absolutely not. I wonder which they pick.

All comes down to game theory in the end.

Edited by ThirtyEight

As it should be. A huge mistake to leave him out. Obviously an offensively-average guy like TJ Oshie has his place in a tournament that relies on shootouts and allows him to go multiple times, but Backes? Wheeler? Instead of Ryan? Bad move.

The dearth of quality U.S. centers necessitates Backes being there IMO. My bigger issues are with Brown and Callahan among forwards, and Orpik among defenders. I'm with you that Bishop (or Schneider) should have been there instead of Howard.

I can live with losing to Canada...I don't like it, but they're clearly the better team. Duchene wasn't even going to dress before the Tavares injury, and even then he played 8 minutes yesterday...he'd be centering the top US line if he were American. But losing to an injury-depleted Finland? That's hard to swallow.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.