Winter Olympics general discussion

darksabre

I find this mind-boggling.

I don't--I think we only went a handful of times as children. (Parents hated the cold. I hated the cold. Sis hated the cold.) And no, we did not squeeze extra kids onto sleds. We had a two-child sled which, I'm certain, was so that we wouldn't argue about whose turn it was. We also were not grown up and were not competing for medals.

US Women's curling got waxed yesterday with a 7 point end. Never been done before in Olympic history. They're 0-3, not looking too hot.

That's an almost impossible feat. Wow, our curlers are bad.

I caught the end of the US vs Swiss curling and even tho I don't fully understand the Scoring and ins and outs, I get the basic jist of it... Like shuffleboard on ice... With brooms...But our strategy was just terrible... Idk if they just poorly executed what they were going for or if they just can't think moves ahead because they got ripped

I don't--I think we only went a handful of times as children. (Parents hated the cold. I hated the cold. Sis hated the cold.) And no, we did not squeeze extra kids onto sleds. We had a two-child sled which, I'm certain, was so that we wouldn't argue about whose turn it was. We also were not grown up and were not competing for medals.

I'm glad I recorded it. It was quite impressive to see.

They have tubing (sledding) with lifts now and it's pretty extreme... Although I have know a few people to get some bad injuries lol

I'll take your word for it, doc. Gimme the mountain, the moguls, a well designed Slalom course and a 75 footer or two and I'm happy all day long.

I'll take your word for it, doc. Gimme the mountain, the moguls, a well designed Slalom course and a 75 footer or two and I'm happy all day long.

As awesome as that sounds, I have never gone skiing except cross country once in middle school... And i have attempted snowboarding 3 times.... All inevitably ending in instant failure and me eating snow. I heard skiing is easier than boarding, maybe one of these winters I'll try and take some lessons

I caught the end of the US vs Swiss curling and even tho I don't fully understand the Scoring and ins and outs, I get the basic jist of it... Like shuffleboard on ice... With brooms...But our strategy was just terrible... Idk if they just poorly executed what they were going for or if they just can't think moves ahead because they got ripped

The scoring is very similar to bocce, if you play that. It's difficult enough just to finish with seven rocks in the scoring area, much less to have all seven be closer to the dot than even one of the opponents' rocks. This means that on the Americans' last shot, we couldn't even take out a bunch of rocks that had to be relatively close together. All the curler had to do was wing the damned thing down the ice! I need to see a replay, I guess.

The scoring is very similar to bocce, if you play that. It's difficult enough just to finish with seven rocks in the scoring area, much less to have all seven be closer to the dot than even one of the opponents' rocks. This means that on the Americans' last shot, we couldn't even take out a bunch of rocks that had to be relatively close together. All the curler had to do was wing the damned thing down the ice! I need to see a replay, I guess.

Gotcha, thanks.... Yeah I saw throws in the match I was watching where the clear intent was to aim and blast away, no brooms even used..... I'd like to see that replay as well... For being a boring "sport" it is somehow addicting to watch lol

Can't say I know...for me the Winter Games are just Hockey and Curling.

Though some of those Russian skaters can catch my eye.

I love the downhill skiing and Super-G. Awesome to watch. Moguls have caught my fancy the last few olympics as well.

EDIT: These are in edition to the hockey and curling that I watch religiously.

Edited by dEnnis the Menace

I've been sledding a very small number of times and have yet to strap one or two boards to my feet and go hurtling down a hill, which is a damn shame. I was hoping to change that this winter, but it hasn't worked out so far. Damn my being born in a place where the tallest thing for 150 miles is a water tower...

Is that what you did when you were 12? I mean that's like prime sledding age right? Did you stop back into the lodge to see Chet and Muffy, aka your parents? Did you eat foie gras and caviar after? I kid but my rents didn't have the extra cake to shell out for me to ski. They could get me a $12 POS death plastic called a sled.

Edited by inkman

You know, I want to watch the Olympics. I really do. But every time I turn on NBC (broadcast), it's just their usual BS on. Access Hollywood? Bah. Even last weekend on Saturday afternoon I was planning on popping the TV on and watching world-class athletes, but all I saw was their usual Saturday crap.

Is that what you did when you were 12? I mean that's like prime sledding age right? Did you stop back into the lodge to see Chet and Muffy, aka your parents? Did you eat foie gras and caviar after? I kid but my rents didn't have the extra cake to shell out for me to ski. They could get me a $12 POS death plastic called a sled.

Blah..blah...blah.....We'd pull each other around in a garbage can with some twine......Poser.....

As awesome as that sounds, I have never gone skiing except cross country once in middle school... And i have attempted snowboarding 3 times.... All inevitably ending in instant failure and me eating snow. I heard skiing is easier than boarding, maybe one of these winters I'll try and take some lessons

I can't remember who told me this, but someone had said snowboarding is easier to learn, but harder to master. I took a ski lesson at 17 and hated it (never got the hang of the whole pizza / french fry thing), but I took to boarding right away.

I've been sledding a very small number of times and have yet to strap one or two boards to my feet and go hurtling down a hill, which is a damn shame. I was hoping to change that this winter, but it hasn't worked out so far. Damn my being born in a place where the tallest thing for 150 miles is a water tower...

Never too late to learn! I started at 27 or 28 and was instantly hooked.

Never too late to learn! I started at 27 or 28 and was instantly hooked.

I gotta find a person to go with me who's willing to fuddle around on the baby slopes with me until I figure it out.

And yeah, money was the part of the reason I never went, either. My parents saw sports as the devil and taking me away from studies and music, which is where our money went. Plus, it was a pretty big deal to drive to the nearest mountain- it'd have to be a weekend trip at least.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.