Mr Ryan Miller....

spndnchz

That's what is so interesting about this situation. You'd think that there would be teams banging down the door for him, but because he's a goalie I think there is some hesitation. And not due to who he is, but simply that he's a goalie. Plugging a new goalie into the net halfway through a season who hasn't played his way in to that spot is kinda...bad juju.

I still think it comes down to injuries. He either goes to Philly "because it's Philly", or Minnesota because they don't trust Harding to be healthy for the playoffs and don't want Kuemper to have to carry the load. I don't think he goes to St. Louis. Or Washington.

If your rationale for not doing something is "bad juju", you don't deserve a job (edit: as an NHL GM, I mean). Baseball teams pick up starting pitchers at the deadline every year and insert them directly into the rotation; they don't worry about how their no.4/5 pitchers are going to feel about it. Also, if you're a young goalie and you lose your job to someone more experienced, accomplished, and (to this point) talented, and you can't handle that moving forward with your life, you almost certainly don't have the mental toughness to help your team win anyway.

Aside from hurting the feelings of the two goalies you have now (more likely just one of them since one would probably head back to Buffalo), what about the feelings of the entire rest of the team? I'm pretty sure the veterans on the Flyers, Capitals, Wild, etc. would all approve of the move.

Edited by Robviously

If your rationale for not doing something is "bad juju", you don't deserve a job (edit: as an NHL GM, I mean). Baseball teams pick up starting pitchers at the deadline every year and insert them directly into the rotation; they don't worry about how their no.4/5 pitchers are going to feel about it. Also, if you're a young goalie and you lose your job to someone more experienced, accomplished, and (to this point) talented, and you can't handle that moving forward with your life, you almost certainly don't have the mental toughness to help your team win anyway.

Aside from hurting the feelings of the two goalies you have now (more likely just one of them since one would probably head back to Buffalo), what about the feelings of the entire rest of the team? I'm pretty sure the veterans on the Flyers, Capitals, Wild, etc. would all approve of the move.

I hear ya. It doesn't really make a lot of sense. But it's how I see GMs approaching the situation.

The scary thought for me is Miller Mania making its way to Terry (he already said he wants him to retire a Sabre), and Terry making some kind of power play with PLF and TM. "An offer Miller can't refuse." That's a bad scenario on several fronts. More meddling. Another yes man as GM. Trying to build a contender around Miller (again). Financial implications down the road when the team might be good again. More WTF waves. More threads like this with terrible titles. And so on.

They apparently didn't offer much then, either.

We don't really know that though do we? I mean, look who was running the show here. For as many trades as Darcy "won", he was also the king of missed opportunity.

Didn't Darcy publicly say something like "for Miller it would be a 1st, 2nd, Prospect, Player" or basically the Pominville deal? I feel like that was the asking price this summer.

The scary thought for me is Miller Mania making its way to Terry (he already said he wants him to retire a Sabre), and Terry making some kind of power play with PLF and TM. "An offer Miller can't refuse." That's a bad scenario on several fronts. More meddling. Another yes man as GM. Trying to build a contender around Miller (again). Financial implications down the road when the team might be good again. More WTF waves. More threads like this with terrible titles. And so on.

I suspect that possibility is the exact reason why PLF was hired. To tell Terry what to do, not the other way around. Terry can want Miller here but if it's not happening it's not happening. The combined knowledge of TM and PLF should carry enough weight to dissuade him from just throwing money at a guy for the hell of it. And hopefully he learned his lesson with Leino, and to a lesser extent Ehrhoff.

Didn't Darcy publicly say something like "for Miller it would be a 1st, 2nd, Prospect, Player" or basically the Pominville deal? I feel like that was the asking price this summer.

And that price is terrifyingly high considering the return he's likely to garner now, mid season.

If there was a good offer left on the table during the offseason, then Darcy's body should be dug up and hung from the tallest tree in Delaware Park.

Edited by d4rksabre

Ya I think so and I think that is too high. I would sign up for just a 1st (or more likely just a prospect) if you're fairly confident he won't resign. Since there has been no indication of him signing before July, you have to take what you can get IMO.

Moulson on the other hand should net us more.

Holy whacked-out conspiracy theories, batman!

At least you've backed off the "small market philosophy" meme, which really was nonsense from day 1.

(Or is it more of a trope? I can't decide.)

Haven't almost everyone in the front office (including TM, & PLF) Say that they would rather keep Miller here then deal him, but its up to him to want to re-sign and that the reason they would move him is to get something for him if he won't re-sign?

as for the trade situation for Miller being lukewarm, No one is saying its because they don't think he is very good/elite, thats the opposite of what most are saying. The trade situation is lukewarm because there aren't many contending teams who are looking to give up what the Sabres want for a UFA. Contending teams are in the position they are in because they are getting good goaltending already, sure Miller might put them over the top, but other teams are looking at their situation and thinking "Do I take the chance and mortgage our future for a rental upgrade in net, or stick with what we have and try to upgrade elsewhere for possibly cheaper? As for the rest of the teams, they could be looking at the fact that he is a UFA who will probably test the market in July and decided to wait to make an offer then, when tehy don't have to give up assets to get him.

Holy whacked-out conspiracy theories, batman!

At least you've backed off the "small market philosophy" meme, which really was nonsense from day 1.

(Or is it more of a trope? I can't decide.)

Terry telling his GM to go sign a guy? Not that crazy.

Edited by PASabreFan

I would make a deal with the Caps, preferably if they would send Holtby back in the deal to Buffalo, rather him then Nieuverth (It would probably end up being him because he is asking for the trade)

If they send Holtby I would take Erat as someone they can buy out

There are only two compliance buyouts, and they are RESERVED.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.