GDT: Buffalo at Minnesota 1-2-14 at 8:00 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

logo.png

GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Bc7Q1EHCcAAPwIA.jpg

GAME #41: BUF (11-25-4) at MIN (20-17-5) – THU JAN 2 – 8:00 PM EST – MSG-B, BELL TVWGR-550

BUFFALO SABRES BuffaloSabresSmiley-1.png

Final Lineup

26 Matt Moulson – 63 Tyler Ennis – 28 Zemgus Girgensons

9 Steve Ott ("C") – 65 Brian Flynn – 21 Drew Stafford

82 Marcus Foligno – 22 Johan Larsson – 17 Linus Omark

32 John Scott – 37 Matt Ellis – 27 Matt D’Agostini

X: 23 Ville Leino (LBI)

6 Mike Weber – 57 Tyler Myers ("A")

10 Christian Ehrhoff ("A") – 3 Mark Pysyk

52 Alexander Sulzer – 4 Jamie McBain

X: 20 Henrik Tallinder (UBI), 44 Brayden McNabb (healthy)

30 Ryan Miller

1 Jhonas Enroth

Lineup News & Notes

D Henrik Tallinder and F Cody Hodgson were scratches in Tuesday's 3-0 loss at Winnipeg.

F Cody McCormick (UBI), F Kevin Porter (LBI), and C Cody Hodgson are on IR.

Weekly Transactions

01/01: Recalled D Brayden McNabb and F Johan Larsson from the Rochester Americans (AHL); Placed C Cody Hodgson on IR.

According to the Stats

In the last 10 games, Buffalo has gone 5-3-2.

Ryan Miller has won four of his past five starts and hasn't allowed more than three goals in a game since Nov. 19.

MINNESOTA WILD MinnesotaWildSmiley.png

Final Lineup

15 Danny Heatley – 9 Mikko Koivu ("C") – 29 Jason Pominville ("A")

16 Jason Zucker – 64 Mikael Granlund – 22 Nino Neiderreiter

24 Matt Cooke – 3 Charlie Coyle – 14 Justin Fontaine

17 Torrey Mitchell – 21 Kyle Brodziak - 19 Stephane Veilleux

X: 27 Mike Rupp (healthy)

20 Ryan Suter ("A") – 46 Jared Spurgeon

25 Jonas Brodin – 6 Marco Scandella

39 Nate Prosser – 4 Clayton Stoner

X: 2 Keith Ballard

32 Niklas Backstrom

35 Darcy Kuemper

X: 37 Josh Harding (illness)

Lineup News & Notes

Minnesota scratched D Jonathon Blum and C Zenon Konopka in Tuesday's 2-1 loss vs St. Louis.

F Zach Parise (LBI) is on IR.

Weekly Transactions

12/27: Placed D Clayton Stoner on IR; Recalled F Stephane Veilleux from Iowa (AHL); Activated G Josh Harding from IR.

12/28: Re-assigned G Johan Gustafsson to Iowa (AHL); Placed F Zach Parise on IR.

12/30: Recalled D Jonathon Blum from Iowa (AHL).

01/01: Re-assigned D Jonathon Blum to Iowa (AHL); Recalled F Jason Zucker from Iowa (AHL).

01/02: Placed F Zenon on waivers; Recalled G Darcy Kuemper from Iowa (AHL); Activated D Clayton Stoner from IR.

According to the Stats

In the Last 10 Games Minnesota has gone 2-8-0.

F Mikko Koivu has scored at least one point in three straight games and leads the Wild with 31 points in 42 games.

PREGAME LINKS

12/31 – SABRES OFFENSE STYMIED IN WINNIPEG (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

12/31 – Ailing Blues hold on to beat slumping Wild (Dan Myers - NHL.com)

01/01 – SABRES RECALL McNABB, LARSSON (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

01/01 – Sabres, Wild each searching for offense (Dan Myers - NHL.com)

01/01 – Sabres goalie Ryan Miller named to Team USA’s Olympic squad (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

01/01 – News: MILLER NAMED TO TEAM USA (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

01/01 – BEYOND THE BOARDS: McNABB, LARSSON MAKE LONG JOURNEY BACK (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

01/01 – Game Preview: 1/2/14 at Minnesota Wild (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

01/01 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Wednesday's practice at XCel Energy Center. <2:47>

01/01 – Dan Dunleavy recaps Wednesday's practice at XCel Energy Center.. <1:44>

01/01 – Ryan Miller speaks with Brian Duff after being named to Team USA. <4:05>

01/02 – Yeo under fire as Wild mired in slump (Michael Russo – StarTribune)

01/02 – Sabres at Wild Game Notes PDF (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

01/02 – Press Clips: 1/2/14 at Minnesota Wild (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

01/02 – GAMEDAY: Wild vs. Buffalo (Mike Doyle – Wild.NHL.com)

01/02 – Jason Pominville talks about tonight's game against the Buffalo Sabres <3:53>

01/02 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at XCel Energy Center. <4:12>

01/02 – Mike Yeo addresses the media before tonight's game against Buffalo. <5:14>

01/02 – THE MORNING SKATE: MYERS, SABRES READY TO TAKE ON STRUGGLING WILD (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

01/02 – Dan Dunleavy previews Thursday night's game against the Wild at XCel Energy Center. <2:20>

01/02 – Tyler Myers speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at XCel Energy Center.. <3:40>

01/02 – Johan Larsson speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at XCel Energy Center.. <1:50>

01/02 – Matt D'Agostini speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at XCel Energy Center. <1:03>

01/02 – Joe Sacco discusses Thursday night's game against the Wild at XCel Energy Center. <1:08>

POSTGAME LINKS

01/03 – SABRES DISAPPOINTED WITH EFFORT IN MINNESOTA (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

01/03 – Brian Duff and Dan Dunleavy recap the Sabres 4-1 loss to the Wild <2:56>

01/03 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-1 loss to the Wild <1:58>

01/03 – Steve Ott speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-1 loss to the Wild <2:32>

01/03 – Jamie McBain speaks with Brian Duff following the Sabres 4-1 loss to the Wild <1:48>

01/03 – Christian Ehrhoff speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-1 loss to the Wild <1:32>

01/03 – Ryan Miller speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-1 loss to the Wild <1:33>

I hope Pominville doesn't score the game winning goal against the Sabres......again. If Regier were still GM, I would definitely want one of those bobble-head figures.

BTW, I just checked stats - with 17 goals so far this season, Pommers is 12th overall in the NHL. The Sabres' highest scoring player - Cody Hodgson, has less than 50% of the output of Pommer with 8 goals - his rank is 134th in the league.

Amazing, the Sabres lack of scoring. I didn't count Moulson since half of his goals this year were scored with the Islanders. Since he's joined the Sabres, his production has dropped.

Is it just me, or did the bobblehead people screw it up?

That's Mats Sundin.

At least there's a bobble-head to screw up. Have there been Sabres players bobbles offered? I just did a quick search on Ebay - I didn't see any Buffalo Sabres bobbles, other than a generic "Sabres" player.

I hope Pominville doesn't score the game winning goal against the Sabres......again. If Regier were still GM, I would definitely want one of those bobble-head figures.

BTW, I just checked stats - with 17 goals so far this season, Pommers is 12th overall in the NHL. The Sabres' highest scoring player - Cody Hodgson, has less than 50% of the output of Pommer with 8 goals - his rank is 134th in the league.

Amazing, the Sabres lack of scoring. I didn't count Moulson since half of his goals this year were scored with the Islanders. Since he's joined the Sabres, his production has dropped.

I will always miss Pominville and I think he was a much better goal scorer than we ever realized.

I will always miss Pominville and I think he was a much better goal scorer than we ever realized.

I was mildly surprised he didn't get invited to the Olympic camp this summer.

And he was the one guy whose trade really stunned me. I like his over all game - he may not be great at any one thing but he is very good in all aspects.

I always liked Pommer and will never forget that OT goal he scored against Ottawa but this team was stale and needed to rebuild. The trade brought in (hopefully) at min 2 key building blocks for the future. I wish him well.

I don't give a crap what kind of season Pommer or Vanek or any other ex-Sabre has (with the exception of Goose because he plays for the Preds). Lest we forget, the team has been awful the past several years and it needed to be fundamentally changed.

I'm sure there is a relationship analogy in there somewhere, but pining for your ex is never healthy. :D

I was mildly surprised he didn't get invited to the Olympic camp this summer.

And he was the one guy whose trade really stunned me. I like his over all game - he may not be great at any one thing but he is very good in all aspects.

He doesnt have the skating to play at the Olympic level.

I'll be first on ebay picking one up.

You will have to beat me to it, I have a large collection of Baseball Boobleheads and looking to add to my 2 hockey ones (Peca team Canada and Drury team USA)

I don't give a crap what kind of season Pommer or Vanek or any other ex-Sabre has (with the exception of Goose because he plays for the Preds). Lest we forget, the team has been awful the past several years and it needed to be fundamentally changed.

I'm sure there is a relationship analogy in there somewhere, but pining for your ex is never healthy. :D

Disagree, it needed changes, but it didn't require ditching every player with talent they had and only using the draft to rebuild. A good GM would have been able to make moves to bring in talent to go with the top guys they had and build off of what was here.

You will have to beat me to it, I have a large collection of Baseball Boobleheads and looking to add to my 2 hockey ones (Peca team Canada and Drury team USA)

Disagree, it needed changes, but it didn't require ditching every player with talent they had and only using the draft to rebuild. A good GM would have been able to make moves to bring in talent to go with the top guys they had and build off of what was here.

Problem is you can only trade players that other teams want. Nobody wants the players we NEED to get rid of. Such as Stafford/Leino.

Pominville is the only player we have traded in the last few years that I wish we hung onto. I think he truly enjoyed being a Sabre and would have resigned. It also might have helped keep Miller here.

Problem is you can only trade players that other teams want. Nobody wants the players we NEED to get rid of. Such as Stafford/Leino.

Pominville is the only player we have traded in the last few years that I wish we hung onto. I think he truly enjoyed being a Sabre and would have resigned. It also might have helped keep Miller here.

True, you can only trade guys that other teams want, but theres also picks and prospects that can be moved instead of hording them, and FA.

The biggest problem with Darcy was that he was never willing to let go of a prospect until they knew exactly what they had in him, which lowers the value because its harder to trade someone on the basis of them "maybe needing a change of scenery" compared to "Just haven't reached their possible potential".

@Russostrib #mnwild has recalled Darcy Kuemper. Something up with Harding. More to come soon. Zenon Konopka placed on waivers!

@Russostrib

Keith Ballard a healthy scratch tonight, it appears. Clayton Stoner back in for #mnwild

I'd take Konapka over all the 4th liners and most of the 3rd liners we've been parading out there all season.

Dany Heatley only has 12 points and is a -14 (by far the worst on his team)... what happened to that guy?

BTW - this is a game between the NHL's two lowest scoring teams. So... 6-5 tonight? :P

He stopped playing the Sabres 8 times a year? :w00t:

No, seriously - He's been on the decline ever since his second season with the Sharks.

Could be age, could be the fact that the western conference is tougher.

Archived