GDT: Buffalo at Minnesota 1-2-14 at 8:00 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

Well, I was being sarcastic. I thought Miller should have stopped that - he had a good look at Pominville coming in. I guess Jason just knows Miller too well. Miller's SV% was .903, a bit below average for him.

Wild was far more efficient at scoring - 31 shots and 4 goals. Contrast that with the Sabres - 20 shots and 1 goal. Wild had a 13% success rate, vs only 5% for the Sabres.

Maybe he figured that they already scored a goal, which would probably be enough for the Wild to win so he decided to help pad his buddies stats and give him a softie?

Luke Adam had 14 goals and 6 assist in 18 games with the Amerks, he has 1 goal in 9 games with the Sabres. Linus Omark had 14 goals and 15 assist in 29 games with the O.C. Barons, he does not have a point with the Sabres in 5 games. As bad as the Sabres seem at times, they would walk all over any AHL team, as would any NHL team.

Can't really make direct comparisons like that because the situations are different. Players like Adam and Omark are playing top minutes in the AHL with prime PP opportunities--when they get called up to the NHL they're on the 3rd or 4th lines and getting limited, if any, PP time. Going from 20 minutes per game on top lines and 3 minutes of that time on the PP to 10 minutes with John Scott is going to have a dramatic effect on production, independent of the increase in competition.

WTF is GVT?

Goals versus threshold. It's an attempt to create a single statistic to evaluate the value players add to a team above a replacement-level player (loosely defined as a top line or top pairing AHL player, 13th NHL forward or 7th NHL defenseman). Couple of decent intro articles for those interested:

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2012/12/7/3411686/sab-re-metrics-what-is-gvt

http://snyrangersblog.com/advanced-stats/advanced-stats-goals-versus-threshold/

If you're more interested in the nuts and bolts of it, check out the original articles by Tom Awad, the stat's creator:

Part 1: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/puck/article.php?articleid=233

Part 2: http://www.puckprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=235&mode=print&nocache=1304972438

Part 3: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/puck/article.php?articleid=236

I was just going to post about Larrsson. Man, he looked aweful out there IMO. He had a good first shift and then was soft the rest of the game. He is slightly undersized and doesn't have the slickest of hands; his game is bringing a ton of energy and battling hard in the corners. I saw him give up on a half dozen plays last night. He won't even be an NHL regular let alone 3rd line contributor if he has many more games like that....against his old team too :doh:

If Larsson was awful (didn't notice him much other than being Koivu's bitch), Omark had the worst performance I've seen an NHL player ever have. Every time he touched the puck he immediately turned it over. His decision making was terrible, his passes were blindly thrown to the opposition and he plays as soft as any player they have ever had. The sooner this experiment ends the better.

The real problem is that there aren't any players who can consistently create their own offense or centers who can create offense for others. A guy like Moulson would, as we've seen, be outstanding with a playmaking center. I also think Stafford would be much improved.

Maybe he figured that they already scored a goal, which would probably be enough for the Wild to win so he decided to help pad his buddies stats and give him a softie?

Statement non-save in protest of the Olympic snub. Pretty sure Miller did campaign for him publicly.

If Larsson was awful (didn't notice him much other than being Koivu's bitch), Omark had the worst performance I've seen an NHL player ever have. Every time he touched the puck he immediately turned it over. His decision making was terrible, his passes were blindly thrown to the opposition and he plays as soft as any player they have ever had. The sooner this experiment ends the better.

I agree, this guy clearly doesn't belong in the NHL.

He wanted a change of scenery, and another shot with an NHL team. Obviously, the Sabres are a mess, but there's no excuse for playing soft and not skating.

My guess is it won't be long before he's out of the lineup, and off the roster permanently.

Too bad. Tons of talent, but probably got by most of his career on talent alone.

Won't cut it here, especially on ###### teams like the Oilers and Sabres.

I agree, this guy clearly doesn't belong in the NHL.

He wanted a change of scenery, and another shot with an NHL team. Obviously, the Sabres are a mess, but there's no excuse for playing soft and not skating.

My guess is it won't be long before he's out of the lineup, and off the roster permanently.

Too bad. Tons of talent, but probably got by most of his career on talent alone.

Won't cut it here, especially on ###### teams like the Oilers and Sabres.

With Konopka here now the next Sabre healthy means someone goes to Rochester, no? The whole team is on notice that someone won't be a Sabre soon. Maybe that doesn't work ofr Omark, but I do like that with PLF and TN they are finding ways to try to keep apathy at bay.

With Konopka here now the next Sabre healthy means someone goes to Rochester, no? The whole team is on notice that someone won't be a Sabre soon. Maybe that doesn't work ofr Omark, but I do like that with PLF and TN they are finding ways to try to keep apathy at bay.

Tallinder was put on IR.

Sooooooo...... when someone is healthy they still need to make room, no?

An AHL player might actually play in the AHL! Poor guy. Although more likely someone else will just be injured

What has happened to Kaleta these days? I feel he should come back up, as he is actually a 4th line NHL player

An AHL player might actually play in the AHL! Poor guy. Although more likely someone else will just be injured

What has happened to Kaleta these days? I feel he should come back up, as he is actually a 4th line NHL player

Season ending knee injury.

Archived