Help.

neverenough

I understand being hesitant to bring another human being into the world. I know every generation thinks the world is going to crap, but we have really seen something take hold recently in my opinion with the proliferation of technology. People just aren't being socialized properly. The ADHD of having all these gadgets and supposed social mediums....I am seeing a huge loss of logic and reasoning skills, emotional weakness, lack of manners, empathy, etc. This is from previously well-adjusted adults, let alone kids. I take almost everything with a grain of salt these days because our minds have become trip wired and short circuited. How many people here actually are willing to read a post that is more than a paragraph? I know who does, and that is who I will usually have an in depth conversation with here.

Sounds exactly like what people were saying when I was a kid in the 80s. And I'm sure the same about kids in the 60s with their calling each other on the telephone instead of calling upon them at in person at home under parents' watchful eyes.

Not this time MattPie....you see people regress. It isn't a generational thing anymore. It's instant gratification, and it stunts the brain. You have more information and choices at your fingertips, but less ability to put it all together.

The emotional stunting of society also would cause me pause in having a child. The over-regulation and Nanny State not only the government has become, but look at the sports world. Common sense has been thrown out the window in my opinion. I don't think there is enough of a backbone to swing the pendulum the other way. Everyone is offended by something, everything needs to become a cause, and blackball those who can see through it. Progress is great....agenda and manipulation in the name of progress isn't.

Having kids is great. You see them and interact and have hope. I understand why someone would be hesitant to do so however. Having kids should be the most selfless thing one does. Unfortunately, for many it becomes a selfish endeavor....and we can save the reasoning for another time. Just the divorce rates alone could justify not having a child. Anyhow....

Not this time MattPie....you see people regress. It isn't a generational thing anymore. It's instant gratification, and it stunts the brain. You have more information and choices at your fingertips, but less ability to put it all together.

I'm more in the camp of "there is nothing new under the sun" than I am in the camp of "these times, our times are seeing an unprecedented shift and change in the course of human history".

I'm more in the camp of "there is nothing new under the sun" than I am in the camp of "these times, our times are seeing an unprecedented shift and change in the course of human history".

How about a combo? Think Rome....but with nukes and the federal reserve....

I'm one that thinks we are on borrowed time, but I learned not to try and pinpoint it. We've talked about it before...but where some see The Singularity, I see more Biblical times. The science shows us we either are darn close of not being able to move forward in time, or we need a massive population and technology plateau...which in reality would have to be a decrease, in order to survive as a society.

How about a combo? Think Rome....but with nukes and the federal reserve....

I'm one that thinks we are on borrowed time, but I learned not to try and pinpoint it. We've talked about it before...but where some see The Singularity, I see more Biblical times. The science shows us we either are darn close of not being able to move forward in time, or we need a massive population and technology plateau...which in reality would have to be a decrease, in order to survive as a society.

When do we get space colonies?

Yep. It's like the religious people polled who are convinced the apocalypse will happen in their lifetime. Sure the earth has existed for billions of years (or thousands if you prefer to ignore science) and bad things and immorality have happened since one of the very first cavemen decided he was gonna have rape for dinner and picked up a rock to bash the skull of some other caveman who had a nice looking cavewoman he desired but the apocolypse just HAS to happen soon because God just can't wait to meet ME.

Ok here we go. I have a 2 and a half year old son and my wife would like more kids which is why I want to Adopt a small dog from the animal shelter for my son for Christmas. If I had another kid that would be ok but I just don't see our Country as a place I want to add to many kids to. So the question, is getting a dog for a family more of a hassle than good?

want to do.

Unless I missed it, nobody's said "If you have to ask a message board about whether you should reproduce, please don't."

I'm mildly - and pleasantly - surprised by that...

Pretty much where I'm at as well.

Though I could see a shift in the prosperity of individual nations.

Thanks to everyone. I am very honest with my wife and she knows exactly how I feel. My wife has just turned 36 on the 7th and now is the time you hear the words {biological clock} as for the sheets, they will continue to move and if another child comes from it fine. This is more about the dog and less about the kid. I grew up with 3 older brothers and in a way I feel guilty if I don't give my son Hudson someone. One minute I feel a dog suits my family and the next I don't want a dog holding me back from doing what I want with vacations, trips etc. We don't take trips all that often but I'm also one of those guys that could get out of bad and say hey were going today. Make a long story short a just want my son to have a little buddy. As for the people that say This country is no different than it use to be. The hard working middle class families are being robbed to pay for all the low life folks that don't want to get off there ass. Back in the day lazy people starved, now it's about sitting home having kids and waiting on your check to arrive.

Thanks to everyone. I am very honest with my wife and she knows exactly how I feel. My wife has just turned 36 on the 7th and now is the time you hear the words {biological clock} as for the sheets, they will continue to move and if another child comes from it fine. This is more about the dog and less about the kid. I grew up with 3 older brothers and in a way I feel guilty if I don't give my son Hudson someone. One minute I feel a dog suits my family and the next I don't want a dog holding me back from doing what I want with vacations, trips etc. We don't take trips all that often but I'm also one of those guys that could get out of bad and say hey were going today. Make a long story short a just want my son to have a little buddy. As for the people that say This country is no different than it use to be. The hard working middle class families are being robbed to pay for all the low life folks that don't want to get off there ass. Back in the day lazy people starved, now it's about sitting home having kids and waiting on your check to arrive.

With a three year age gap the fights between siblings will be more even. My brothers are 6.5 and 10.5 years older than me, so the only thing I learned from them was how to take a punch from someone a lot bigger and stronger than you.

Dogs are a ton of work and a ton of $$ but they are awesome. My son is 9 and our pup turns 2 next month and they are attached at the hip. Its great to watch.

With a three year age gap the fights between siblings will be more even. My brothers are 6.5 and 10.5 years older than me, so the only thing I learned from them was how to take a punch from someone a lot bigger and stronger than you.

Dogs are a ton of work and a ton of $$ but they are awesome. My son is 9 and our pup turns 2 next month and they are attached at the hip. Its great to watch.

I understand what it's like to take a punch from someone bigger and stronger! Now I'm the biggest kid so that has stopped. Thanks for your tip, I think it's about time to have something great to watch also.

Thank god my brother has a 1 and a 3 old, the wife's sister has a 1 and 3, and her brother has a 2 month old. No one gives us the "so when are you going to have a kid" pushes since they're already busy with those little hell raisers. My answer of "we want a house before we have kids" is usually a good one... I just don't tell them that I'm in no hurry to buy a house, at least for the next 10 years.

Archived