Pegula biggest disappointment.

neverenough

Paranoia aside, the point is that Darcy can't sit there with a straight face and imply that Pittsburgh tanked to get Crosby, and that the Sabres have never lowered themselves to that level. Actually it's a good cautionary tale. Same shot at Sid. They get Sid, we get Marek Zagrapan, which is delicious dunked in coffee but otherwise useless.

BTW, Ted Black today said the Sabres have never been fortunate enough to get the top pick in a draft, other than Perreault.

For the record, there was no hockey the year before Crosby. So nobody was tanking to get Crosby. There were talks of a lockout, but teams weren't banking on a full year off.

Black is wrong, because they've had it twice. Turgeon and Perreault.

Paranoia aside, the point is that Darcy can't sit there with a straight face and imply that Pittsburgh tanked to get Crosby, and that the Sabres have never lowered themselves to that level. Actually it's a good cautionary tale. Same shot at Sid. They get Sid, we get Marek Zagrapan, which is delicious dunked in coffee but otherwise useless.

BTW, Ted Black today said the Sabres have never been fortunate enough to get the top pick in a draft, other than Perreault.

I think most folks have blocked out Pierre Turgeon.

How many number one draft picks since 1990 have won a Stanley Cup with the team that drafted them?

Four. Kane, Crosby, Fleury, Vinny Lacav.

Four second overall picks as well: Seguin, Doughty, Malkin, Staal.

Three thirds: Svitov, Toews, S. Niedermayer (3).

One fourth: Andrew Ladd.

One fifth: Jaromir Jagr (all the way back in 1990 to find the only one).

Nice research.

Thanks. Always like finding out little facts like that. Especially with the draft. Like the fact that the only team (since the lockout) to win a Stanley Cup without a player THEY drafted in the top five on the roster at some point throughout the year is the Detroit Red Wings. And I think they're a worthy exception considering the steals of Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

FOUR teams since the lockout have actually traded away a player they selected at fifth overall and then won the Stanley Cup in the few years following: Pittsburgh traded Ryan Whitney, Boston traded Phil Kessel, Los Angeles traded away Brayden Schenn and Anaheim traded Stanislav Chistov.

While I think that's a terrible coincidence, we do have a former fifth overall pick of our own that we're about to trade... And a top five pick is on its way.

I wanted to respond to both the disappointed as well as those who feel like wise to myself.

Disapointed: I completely understand your sentiments here. But, as a fan who was born November 10th, shortly after the team was, I was weened on Sabres hockey. Please understand, although painful, this is absolutely necessary to achieve a means to and end, and that end is non-negotiable, it's to compete for a Stanley's Cup. Please, endure, be patient, there will be a light at the end of this tunnel.

Feel like myself: I love Zsdorov and Risto. Zad's is a future star.

Risto looks to be a candidate for a young Regher, I know, I know, to early to tell if he'll put on the weight, but, it looks promising so far.

Myers will rebound. Many say he has fallen that low, many like myself say he needs that mature, stay at home partner he had in Tallinder in his rookie season. I personally say there is enough talent in the pipeline to make it happen.

In short, there is much happening here. Pegula appeared and was original. He tried to make it happen on poor advice. Yes Regier needs to go. On this I am solid and that will never change. But in the interim, let's see where we are in 3 to 5 years from now.

The light just seems so so far away.

Is there a place where I can hide a post in an envelope and open it at a future date?

I had an eureka moment tonight....I think I know what stunt the Sabres are going to pull if the results are just as poor the next few weeks. It won't be a firing. They need to chill the fans out though. If I say what I think the ace in the hole is, I will get flamed....but I smell it.

Is there a place where I can hide a post in an envelope and open it at a future date?

I had an eureka moment tonight....I think I know what stunt the Sabres are going to pull if the results are just as poor the next few weeks. It won't be a firing. They need to chill the fans out though. If I say what I think the ace in the hole is, I will get flamed....but I smell it.

PM me. I'll be your envelope. :flirt:

Just say it. You know you want to.

Let's play a game. Blues clues. Give us three and we'll sit down in our thinking chair.

Just say it. You know you want to.

Not gonna...because they won't do it then.

If they lose 4 of the next 5 and the fans are getting more ravenous, I will PM a few of you. It's so good I want to give them the idea myself....but after watching some of their work in other realms, my idea is probably poppycock. They know what they are doing.

The fans have spoke yet he continues to not give two cents about it. Fans are getting their fire Darcy signs taken away at the gate, fans are having fire Darcy t shirts made and with Pegula's action fans are being told I will do nothing but make you eat it. For a man that cried on the podium when he bought the team has soon become one of the most ridiculous owners in sports history. I will not spend another dollar on your product as you kill my be loved hockey team! I think Pegula is the worst thing that ever happened to Buffalo. Thoughts?

dutch elm disease

Not gonna...because they won't do it then.

If they lose 4 of the next 5 and the fans are getting more ravenous, I will PM a few of you. It's so good I want to give them the idea myself....but after watching some of their work in other realms, my idea is probably poppycock. They know what they are doing.

I know, they'll bring all the new 3rd jerseys out on the ice and light them on fire!

Send yourself a message.

Yep, worked for the Penguins and the Blackhawks, but they were able to fill in the other pieces. The Sabres are not guaranteed to land the the next possible Toews/Kane duo. And w/ Darcy running the show I do not see the right supportive players being added.

Pens also had Mario, John LeClair, Mark Recchi, Ziggy Palffy, among others there as mentors for the kids. Who do we have? Vanek and Stafford? And you know by the time we do draft these top pick players, such as Reinhart, Vanek and Miller will be long gone. His mentors will be a bunch of proven losers. Not exactly what the Pens did.

Pens also had Mario, John LeClair, Mark Recchi, Ziggy Palffy, among others there as mentors for the kids. Who do we have? Vanek and Stafford? And you know by the time we do draft these top pick players, such as Reinhart, Vanek and Miller will be long gone. His mentors will be a bunch of proven losers. Not exactly what the Pens did.

Hey atleast its working out for the oilers :sick:

The fans have spoke yet he continues to not give two cents about it. Fans are getting their fire Darcy signs taken away at the gate, fans are having fire Darcy t shirts made and with Pegula's action fans are being told I will do nothing but make you eat it. For a man that cried on the podium when he bought the team has soon become one of the most ridiculous owners in sports history. I will not spend another dollar on your product as you kill my be loved hockey team! I think Pegula is the worst thing that ever happened to Buffalo. Thoughts?

Agreed. When Pegula decided to keep Rieger around, in my mind, this big mess becaomse Pegula's. This is a result you get when an owner with a limited to close to zero of a hockey background buys a team. Some how Rieger was able to convince Pegula to give Rieger another chance. Me, if I were Pegula, all I would have needed to do was review how Rieger has drafted, especially in the first round; review Rieger's FA signing's - please see Ville Leino; and look back and count up the playoff appearences vs non appearences.

This really is Pegula's mess now. Sooner or later the diminishing attendance and the tarnishing of the Sabres brand will be to much for he to not consider when he finally shows Rieger the door.

Agreed. When Pegula decided to keep Rieger around, in my mind, this big mess becaomse Pegula's. This is a result you get when an owner with a limited to close to zero of a hockey background buys a team. Some how Rieger was able to convince Pegula to give Rieger another chance. Me, if I were Pegula, all I would have needed to do was review how Rieger has drafted, especially in the first round; review Rieger's FA signing's - please see Ville Leino; and look back and count up the playoff appearences vs non appearences.

This really is Pegula's mess now. Sooner or later the diminishing attendance and the tarnishing of the Sabres brand will be to much for he to not consider when he finally shows Rieger the door.

Prepare to be devoured by the faithful. You didn't spell Regier right, so your opinion will be dismissed. Also, you don't spend every waking moment reading this board. Burn the newbie!

I think most people agree he said the right things when he bought the Sabres. He said his goal was to win the cup in three years and he put a team in place that has not come any where close. He spent a ton of money in free agency but the moves didn't pand out. Can anyone show me an example of a new owner in any professional sports that came in and won a championship in the first few years?

The only one I can think of that can come close is Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys but that is mostly because the Herschel Walker trade put the pieces together.

I'm asking because I don't get the hatred towards Pegula. I'm frustrated they didn't fire Darcy too but that should be on the people he hired to run the organization.

Ok, let's assume that this is the reasonable and rational way to view the situation. I'll counter with this...

Buffalo is small market (duh). This team has survived and thrived by being relatively competitive for practically its entire existance. I serioulsy doubt that the team will financially survive a 3-5 yr rebuild. I dont believe that this has been advertised much, but the Sabres fan experience price index went up more than any other NHL team this year. We're up 24%! Next are LA and WAS (big markets with competitive teams).

http://www.fancostexperience.com/pages/fcx/blog_pdfs/entry0000020_pdf001.pdf

Point is, fans in small markets tend not to be too patient when it comes to rebuilds. Technically, we've just started rebuilding and already fans are begging their grandmother to take their tickets. If we're to assume that the season is already lost; TP is going to see a dramatic drop in parking and concessions money and (hopefully) heads will roll. I also believe that this is the calm before the storm. Miller and Vanek are going. They should have their heads examined if they dont, but I firmly believe they are goners. Who does the team market themselves around? The Sabres are not the Bills. It's easy to commit to 8 bad Bills games and call it a year. 41 bad Sabres games is different. The team is in serious trouble right now. They dont have the luxury to wait 3-5 years to simply get back to the playoffs. The plan between now and June:

1) Fire Darcy

2) Hire a competent GM

3) Fire Rolston

4) Hire a competent coach

5) Re-evaluate on-ice talent at both NHL and AHL levels

6) Draft well

7) Get a big name free-agent forward and D that you can market the team around

8) Suffer through 2015 too

The idea being that once we get rid of our minor league GM and coach that we can start a true rebuild. This year is not a rebuild in my opinion. It's a cash grab before we lose our biggest stars. The real rebuild starts next year and it will fail with R&R at the helm.

I wanted to respond to both the disappointed as well as those who feel like wise to myself.

Disapointed: I completely understand your sentiments here. But, as a fan who was born November 10th, shortly after the team was, I was weened on Sabres hockey. Please understand, although painful, this is absolutely necessary to achieve a means to and end, and that end is non-negotiable, it's to compete for a Stanley's Cup. Please, endure, be patient, there will be a light at the end of this tunnel.

Feel like myself: I love Zsdorov and Risto. Zad's is a future star.

Risto looks to be a candidate for a young Regher, I know, I know, to early to tell if he'll put on the weight, but, it looks promising so far.

Myers will rebound. Many say he has fallen that low, many like myself say he needs that mature, stay at home partner he had in Tallinder in his rookie season. I personally say there is enough talent in the pipeline to make it happen.

In short, there is much happening here. Pegula appeared and was original. He tried to make it happen on poor advice. Yes Regier needs to go. On this I am solid and that will never change. But in the interim, let's see where we are in 3 to 5 years from now.

I'm asking because I don't get the hatred towards Pegula. I'm frustrated they didn't fire Darcy too but that should be on the people he hired to run the organization.

Thanks for that. It is interesting to consider all the possibilities here as we autopsy the corpse that is the Sabres franchise. Although I'm a Pegula Meddler Theorist, which almost by definition means I have to think Terry came in and he, himself, Terry, argued for retaining Lindy and Darcy without much input from his advisors, there's another possiblility.

Terry was friends with Cliff Benson before buying the Sabres. They talked about what Terry would do with his fortune, and Terry said he wanted to buy the team. Cliff had connections with the Penguins. Enter Ted Black. Black was hired by Ken Sawyer, and so Ken comes along for the ride in the old boys network train. Terry, not having known the team was for sale, might not even have known who the freakin' general manager was. So maybe he got advice from his advisors — Cliff, Ted and Ken — that Darcy really is a good guy who hasn't done anything wrong and was handcuffed, and that remains the company line to this day.

The big question here would be why those advisors would endorse Darcy so enthusiastically. Given that they're business guys — two accountants and a lawyer — perhaps Darcy made the most sense from a bottom line perspective. The bean counters had to be impressed by all those fannies in the seats, the waiting list, the merch sales, the ratings and so forth.

Blaming the advisors? Not bad. If that's the case, we're waiting for Terry to wake up and fire the whole lot of them. It's actually the most optimistic theory out there.

Archived