Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

and still in buffalo the numbers could be

Bennett 0.32ppg

Reinhart 1.68ppg

Draisaitl 1.33ppg

You never know that kind of stuff.... depends on linemates ... good tema or bad team. system the team plays....

Bennett could put up 50 goals for buffalo next year and might would only put up 9 for calgary.

It makes more sense to watch at strengths and weaknesses instead of numbers

I simply disagree with this. There was an article a little while ago that compared the Canucks' recent drafting history with what a spreadsheet including only scoring totals would have produced. Spoiler alert: the stats, with zero seconds spent watching the players play, would have drafted a better roster. I'm in no way advocating abandoning traditional scouting for numbers, but rather, I'm arguing numbers should absolutely have a place (and an important one) in the analysis.

I simply disagree with this. There was an article a little while ago that compared the Canucks' recent drafting history with what a spreadsheet including only scoring totals would have produced. Spoiler alert: the stats, with zero seconds spent watching the players play, would have drafted a better roster. I'm in no way advocating abandoning traditional scouting for numbers, but rather, I'm arguing numbers should absolutely have a place (and an important one) in the analysis.

Agreed. There are definitely other things to consider when drafting however there is a strong correlation between even strength points and goals and NHL success.

According to Darren Dreger, Detroit is interested in Tyler Myers. How much of a ransom would the Sabres have to give up to pry Anthony Mantha away from them or is Mantha untouchable?

I would love Anthony Mantha... maybe we could say Myers and #39 for Mantha and #15. Idk what it would take honestly.

Agreed. There are definitely other things to consider when drafting however there is a strong correlation between even strength points and goals and NHL success.

Sure there's a strong correlation, how did Gagner do? I bet his even strength points were extremely high, but like Ehlers, it matters more who you play with. At 17, Gagner played with Patrick Kane at 18. This year, Ehlers played with Drouin at 18. If you don't account for this, you're drafting Gagners all day long.

Sure there's a strong correlation, how did Gagner do? I bet his even strength points were extremely high, but like Ehlers, it matters more who you play with. At 17, Gagner played with Patrick Kane at 18. This year, Ehlers played with Drouin at 18. If you don't account for this, you're drafting Gagners all day long.

Actually 70% of Ehlers scoring came while Drouin was on the bench.

However, when Rhys J looked at Ehlers’ production (with a hat tip to @MoneyPuck_), he found that “the majority of Ehlers’ even strength offence (around 70%) also came with Drouin on the bench.”

As for Gagner 0.89ppg 0.26g are his even strength numbers but like I said there are obviously other things to consider, such as the fact he was only 5'11". Ehlers subsequently is not on my stats sheet but Fabbri is, 1.02ppg 0.53g which even at 5'10" indicates to me Fabbri should be better in the NHL then Gagner. Would I draft him? No, he is to small for my tastes and the league is trending bigger.

I would do that in a heartbeat. I was thinking it would take Myers, 39 and the Blues 2015 1st for Mantha and 15.

Probably closer than what I tossed out. Myers #31 blues 2015 for Mantha and 15?

Edited by LGR4GM

Now who is basing their analysis on a hunch? ;)

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Would people be pissed if Florida passes on Ekblad and Buffalo selects him and then trades Myers to Detroit for Mantha?

Yes. Mantha doesn't play center. We need centers. Girgensons is maybe a solid #2 center... then we have? Lots of question marks.

As for Gagner 0.89ppg 0.26g are his even strength numbers but like I said there are obviously other things to consider, such as the fact he was only 5'11". Ehlers subsequently is not on my stats sheet but Fabbri is, 1.02ppg 0.53g which even at 5'10" indicates to me Fabbri should be better in the NHL then Gagner. Would I draft him? No, he is to small for my tastes and the league is trending bigger.

Probably closer than what I tossed out. Myers #31 blues 2015 for Mantha and 15?

I feel uncomfortable trading Myers in the division, I don't want to be haunted

Would people be pissed if Florida passes on Ekblad and Buffalo selects him and then trades Myers to Detroit for Mantha?

Yes. Mantha doesn't play center. We need centers. Girgensons is maybe a solid #2 center... then we have? Lots of question marks.

I'd take Ekblad but we'd have to get a center from somewhere.

Exactly if you are trading Myers it is to Edmonton to Calgary for this years #3 or #4 overall pick. The exact details of what that would take from each side and stuff, IDK. If you trade Myers or Ehrhoff you need to be doing it with Center in mind.

According to Darren Dreger, Detroit is interested in Tyler Myers. How much of a ransom would the Sabres have to give up to pry Anthony Mantha away from them or is Mantha untouchable?

The fact that an organ-eye-zation like Detroit wants Myers gives me pause. What do they see in him? I'd hate to see the young man leave and (re-)blossom into a top-2 guy with offensive upside.

On that point you could argue that the others team best players always were lined up against drouin and ehlers didnt have to play against the number 1 line of the opponent... there is always pros and cons

I mean there is no way that MacKinnon would have put up +60 points on last years sabres team

I feel uncomfortable trading Myers in the division, I don't want to be haunted

Divisions are bigger now. That limits trade partners. Can't worry about what you give up. Be more concerned on what we get back.

The fact that an organ-eye-zation like Detroit wants Myers gives me pause. What do they see in him? I'd hate to see the young man leave and (re-)blossom into a top-2 guy with offensive upside.

Probably a very talented young, good skating defenseman with a chance to become great.

On that point you could argue that the others team best players always were lined up against drouin and ehlers didnt have to play against the number 1 line of the opponent... there is always pros and cons

Ehlers scored 1.4ppg in the roughly 18 games without Drouin, 1.6 total, and 1.7 in the games with Drouin. He's not a bad player, but 1.4 in the Q doesn't make you worth the draft position he'll get. If you swapped Ho Sang and Ehlers this season, I'm sure you would swap where they would be drafted as well

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.