Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I wonder what the possibilities are for the Sabres to trade out of #2.

For example, with Reinhart on the board, maybe you could deal to Vancouver.

#2 for Bo Horvat, a player, and the #6 pick.

Would you trade the #2 pick for Bo Horvat, a player, and still take one of Richie, Elhers, or Virtanen at 6?

I'd be okay with that.

Would you trade the #2 pick for Bo Horvat, a player, and still take one of Richie, Elhers, or Virtanen at 6?

I'd be okay with that.

Vancouver blew up their goaltending and season last year to get Horvat. Even though it's a new crew....the fans would probably go apesh!t.

Imagine if the Bills traded Sammy Watkins, Dareus, and their 2016 #1 pick next April to draft a receiver at #1.....

I'd be okay with that.

I think the possibility to trade down gets very real if Ekblad drops to us: there's a LOT of teams that would want him, many of them right away (e.g., Edmonton). But we really shouldn't slide down much- we really need that elite talent at the top of the draft. It's the whole reason we suffered like puppies in a car in a hot mall parking lot this season.

Vancouver blew up their goaltending and season last year to get Horvat. Even though it's a new crew....the fans would probably go apesh!t.

Imagine if the Bills traded Sammy Watkins, Dareus, and their 2016 #1 pick next April to draft a receiver at #1.....

I think that is overstating it a little bit. Horvat is most likely a high-end third-line NHL player, but a good one.

Reinhart is a top 6. I'm betting Reinhart is in the NHL a year before Horvat.

I think that is overstating it a little bit. Horvat is most likely a high-end third-line NHL player, but a good one.

I'm not saying it has anything to do with the player....much like the Sabres matched Vanek's offer sheet, sometimes you need to avoid the fans wrath.

Agreed. And seeing reinhart being pretty far down on that list while being older and in his THIRD season already is a little concerning for me. I think it's been said that reinhart has the best linemates as well, which adds to it. I honestly have no idea who I want. I've switched from Bennett to reinhart to draisaitl in a month, and think I may go back to Bennett lol. Bennett>draisaitl>reinhart for me. If draisaitl improves his skating I think he becomes the best player from this draft. I just hope ekblad goes first so I know for sure Murray got the forward he believes is best.

I am not sure Reinhart had the best linemates out of the 3. Bennett was most assuredly on the best team offensively with 301 goals compared to 235 and 243 for the other two guys. Hard to say but I understand where you are going. Just such a fluid situation.

Canucks rumoured offer for the first pick involves some combination of Tanev, Shinkaruk and six.

I wouldn't take it for all three.

Horvat is allegedly off the table, but I would make the deal they switched Shinkaruk for Horvat, considering Ehlers would likely be there for the taking at six.

I'd be willing to bet big on that. If they have known for two months it has to be him and everything else they have been saying is subterfuge.

If Ekblad goes #1 and the Sabres pick #2 and don't trade it throughout the day, I'd be willing to bet it's Bennett. Charity wager?

Again, I know nothing.....just psy-ops.

If Ekblad goes #1 and the Sabres pick #2 and don't trade it throughout the day, I'd be willing to bet it's Bennett. Charity wager?

Again, I know nothing.....just psy-ops.

I wouldn't bet you. I still like Bennett a bit more than Reinhart but you couldn't measure that amount with the naked eye or naked bridesmaid.

Canucks rumoured offer for the first pick involves some combination of Tanev, Shinkaruk and six.

I wouldn't take it for all three.

Horvat is allegedly off the table, but I would make the deal they switched Shinkaruk for Horvat, considering Ehlers would likely be there for the taking at six.

Interesting. Maybe Jensen, Shinkaruk, and the #6 would do it. I don't think Tanev fits in.

(Just wondering here. I don't think it is likely......but if they really like Elhers....trading down could be the surprise.)

I'd be okay with that.

I've wondered about trading out of #2 too. My question is though, how far would you be willing to drop to pick up an additional 2015 first round pick?

Or it may just indicate who they thought was the best player.

But I like this idea. And if it's true, then I think I want Bennett.

Up front? Fast. Relentless. Edgy. Attacking.

At the back? Big. Skilled. Nasty.

That's the identity of the Imlach team, and the identity I've always thought best fit the Sabres.

Compher, Baptiste, Girgensons and Bennett?

Risto, Zadorov, McCabe?

I think I might enjoy that.

+1

I am staunchly opposed to trading down below #4 overall -- and I only want to move down that far if there is a really nice return coming.

We fans have paid a terrible price to get here. I want my high-draft-pick consolation prize. I want Landeskog or Seguin -- not Brett Connolly or Nikita Filatov.

11 is right. Take the best GD center there is at #2 and don't get cute.

I am staunchly opposed to trading down below #4 overall -- and I only want to move down that far if there is a really nice return coming.

We fans have paid a terrible price to get here. I want my high-draft-pick consolation prize. I want Landeskog or Seguin -- not Brett Connolly or Nikita Filatov.

This ^ +61

I could not agree more. Best center available. Get fancy with the second round picks if you must.

I could not agree more. Best center available. Get fancy with the second round picks if you must.

The only caveat there is if Edmonton wants Ekblad and he's still there at #2. You still get the same center you wanted plus something else. Doesn't matter what. I'm not sure if you go past #3 unless you have two guys very closely rated.

I'd be okay with that.

No, absolutely not. We have enough quantity on the roster and in the system, we desperately need high end players with a high probability of panning out.

I didn't read this before my reply. Well said, 100% agreed.

No, absolutely not. We have enough quantity on the roster and in the system, we desperately need high end players with a high probability of panning out.

I didn't read this before my reply. Well said, 100% agreed.

I'm gonna say: Hear, hear. I feel like trading out of the top 4 in a draft where it's widely agreed that there are 4 top-level prospects would be a bad idea. Gimme one of the Sam's, I say. I'm just a bit skeptical of the lumbering, big-butted German who threatens to bring back the "wait, is he a center?" conversation.

Andy Strickland@andystrickland 1m

Word is Buffalo is considering options for Chris Stewart...look for #Sabres to try and move him

I wouldn't be surprised if Stewart, Stafford or Ehrhoff are moved by draft day or next years trade deadline. I think Murray is going to make several moves with players and those 3 second rounders.

I'm gonna say: Hear, hear. I feel like trading out of the top 4 in a draft where it's widely agreed that there are 4 top-level prospects would be a bad idea. Gimme one of the Sam's, I say. I'm just a bit skeptical of the lumbering, big-butted German who threatens to bring back the "wait, is he a center?" conversation.

Either of the Sams will do just fine but what happens if Florida passes on Ekblad do u field offers from Edmonton or Calgary. I wouldn't trade down past 4. I'm not sold on the german.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.