Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Ya I agree it won't be much worse if they wait until after. Personally I hope they don't sign him at all and just take the 2016 3rd and pray that having a rookie goalie next year may lead to a down year. The big prize in this trade was the 2015 first rounder and I want that pick to be as high as possible. Likely they miss the playoffs? No but I would rather them have a rookie and someone like Elliott in net versus Miller in the regular season. You never know.

Imagine this... NYI defer. They are terrible next year and finish 2nd to last. We finish last. The Blues miss the playoffs and win the lottery. We draft 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall in 2015... I would actually just have a heart attack if that played out.

Imagine this... NYI defer. They are terrible next year and finish 2nd to last. We finish last. The Blues miss the playoffs and win the lottery. We draft 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall in 2015... I would actually just have a heart attack if that played out.

Oh I know. 1, 2 and 3 would be incredible. Based on the depth of next years draft I would sign up for 3 picks in the top 10. Even if we pick 2nd, 4th and 8th or something that will set this franchise up big time for the next decade.

Islanders trade for Halak - hopefully this goes as well as when they traded for Erhoffs rights prior to free agency.

More evidence that the Islanders are going to reload as best as possible for next season and thus take the pick this year and defer the 2015 to Buffalo

I don't know if I'd call it evidence that they are going to reload as best as possible. They don't currently have any goalies under contract for 2014-15 (at least not NHL level goalies). So this is a position where they 100% have to do something. We can't say the same thing for any other portion of their roster.

I was going to start a new thread but I think it best fits here...

Damien Cox@DamoSpin

Florida GM Dale Tallon told PTS he is actively shopping the No. 1 pick in this summer's NHL draft. Not just accepting offers - shopping it.

If the Panthers trade out of #1 with presumably EDM does that matter? What if it is another team? Does this help or hurt us? My take is that if they trade down to 3 with EDM then it doesn't effect us at all because EDM needs to take a stud defender.

Damien Cox@DamoSpin

Florida GM Dale Tallon told PTS he is actively shopping the No. 1 pick in this summer's NHL draft. Not just accepting offers - shopping it.

If the Panthers trade out of #1 with presumably EDM does that matter? What if it is another team? Does this help or hurt us? My take is that if they trade down to 3 with EDM then it doesn't effect us at all because EDM needs to take a stud defender.

The same comment is made every year.

The same comment is made every year.

Right but two things of note. Actively Shopping it is usually not the report, open to offers is. Second the Panthers have a history of trading 1st overall picks to move down a couple spots in the draft both in 2002 and 2003 they traded out. Just something to keep in mind. If they don't want Ekblad they may trade out.

Right but two things of note. Actively Shopping it is usually not the report, open to offers is. Second the Panthers have a history of trading 1st overall picks to move down a couple spots in the draft both in 2002 and 2003 they traded out. Just something to keep in mind. If they don't want Ekblad they may trade out.

What exactly does a history indicate when the team is 11 years, 5 GMs, and 2 new CBAs separated from when those deals happened?

EHLERS!! ...

... will not be showcasing his talents in the Q final, or the Memorial Cup.

The Mooseheads lost game 7 of their semi-final series. They, at times, did not look very good in that series. Went 1 for 4 at home. Did come back after losing the first two at home, but blew the chance to close out the series in game 6, on the road. Did not look very good in game 7 ... a 3 - 2 loss at home.

It was obvious that they missed MacKinnon and had 7, or 8, rookies in the line up ... several key veteran players, especially on defence, exhausted their Q eligibility after last season.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

What exactly does a history indicate when the team is 11 years, 5 GMs, and 2 new CBAs separated from when those deals happened?

It indicates that as a franchise they have done it. I understand most if not all the players have changed but as a franchise you can say hey we did this once and this was the result. I really think Florida wants to trade out because they want a forward not Ekblad.

Does Florida trading that pick away really affect us that much anyways? Seems like the Sam's are pretty even, so any team trading with Florida will be looking to take Ekblad away from the Panthers or to jump the Oilers to get Ekblad. Either way I think we're safe.

If anything this could be good for us, make the crappy teams around us better for next year.

It indicates that as a franchise they have done it. I understand most if not all the players have changed but as a franchise you can say hey we did this once and this was the result. I really think Florida wants to trade out because they want a forward not Ekblad.

If Florida wants a forward and not Ekblad then I really hope they do trade out.

To WildCard, I agree that both Sam's seem to be rated fairly evenly but we brought in Tim Murray mainly for his talent evaluation and I want him to have the choice.

I think Florida and EDM would be ideal trade partners. It makes a ton of sense and is actually realistic. Florida could use either Sam and Ekblad to EDM is a great move. This is one I would not be surprised to see. Guessing I would say EDM 1st, 2nd and prospect

If the franchise is thinking "hey we did this once and this was the result" then they would've likely filed a restraining order against all other GMs until the draft to make sure nobody calls so they don't trade the pick.

If the franchise is thinking "hey we did this once and this was the result" then they would've likely filed a restraining order against all other GMs until the draft to make sure nobody calls so they don't trade the pick.

The 2003 draft trading down was not a bad idea at all. They didn't want Fleury. I think, out of any other time before, that the idea of EDM and FLA flipping picks in 2014 is 50/50 at this point. It makes a ton of sense if Ekblad is not Florida's guy.

Edited by LGR4GM

The 2003 draft trading down was not a bad idea at all. They didn't want Fleury. I think, out of any other time before, that the idea of EDM and FLA flipping picks in 2014 is 50/50 at this point. It makes a ton of sense if Ekblad is not Florida's guy.

I completely agree, and think it is an obvious choice if they aren't loving the idea of Ekblad. The team has a number of intriguing defensemen on the door steps: Matheson, McCoshen (to name a few), as well as Pokka and others. They don't "need" Ekblad, but if he has a similar track record to Pietrangelo, I would be salivating. Especially infront of Luongo. If they don't love him I'm guessing they might have an affinity with Dal Colle, just my outside the box thought.

There is a good chance for Leon Draisaitl to make the german team for the world championships in belarus... another chance for him to showcase his talent... An opportunity that Ekblad,Reinhart, Bennett... will not have

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/should-the-florida-panthers-trade-the-no-1-pick-overall/

But there’s only one defenseman in that crop and he’s the reason Edmonton and Calgary would be interesting trade partners for the Panthers. The Oilers have the most desperation for Barrie Colts star Aaron Ekblad, as Edmonton currently has no one resembling a No. 1 defenseman on its payroll. Could Oscar Klefbom or Darnell Nurse be that top guy one day? Sure, but it won’t be this year and it won’t be next year – blueliners need time. Ekblad is a “plug and play” guy for scouts and even though you wouldn’t want him playing 24 minutes a night as a rookie, he would at least come in and contribute. While none of the three are guaranteed to be potent NHLers, adding Ekblad to the ranks dramatically increases the chance of getting that top blueliner in the organization.

Damien Cox@DamoSpin

All this means is that Florida does not believe there is a franchise player at the top of the draft.

For the record, I don't either, and I'm not sure who does.

There is a good chance for Leon Draisaitl to make the german team for the world championships in belarus... another chance for him to showcase his talent... An opportunity that Ekblad,Reinhart, Bennett... will not have

Out of all the top guys that need another shot to leave a lasting impression it's him.

I don't really agree on Draisaitl, he's a lock to go in the top 6 or 7. Not sure that he'll truly ever pass Reinhart or Bennett, unless a team prefers him outright due to his size. Someone between 4 and 6 most likely. Unless again there is a shocking turn of events.

I would be disappointed, but not shocked if the Sabres take Draisaitl at two, and I think he will be no worse than three on the Oilers board.

Brian Burke made defining moves early in his tenures with Hartford and Vancouver for Pronger and the Sedins.

I look for him to go hard after Ekblad.

If I was Murray I'd see what he's willing to put on the table, because Reinhart or Bennett could very easily be there at four.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.