Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

It lacks high end elite offensive talent, but I still think it's the leagues deepest offensive prospect pool. It's no where close to poor or poverty

It's really not that deep. There are a lot of guys who have potential, but would still be surprises if they ever had an NHL impact. Guys like Possler, Catenacci, Deslauriers and Bailey fall into that category.

It's really not that deep. There are a lot of guys who have potential, but would still be surprises if they ever had an NHL impact. Guys like Possler, Catenacci, Deslauriers and Bailey fall into that category.

Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia, Larsson, Compher, Fasching, Baptise, Hurley, Poller, Carrier, Bailey, Deslauriers. That's twelve forwards that have nhl potential, which is more than almost every team in the league. Let me put it this way, the Sabres are seen as having one of the deepest prospect pools. We have 4 high end defensive prospects (ristolainen, zadorov, pysyk, and mccabe), and then we have ruhwedel and almost no one else. So if the defensive prospects aren't giving us the title of a deep prospect pool, then the forwards are.

In my opinion, we lack elite talent as far as scoring forwards and goalies go (where we have a lot of depth and potential). And we lack depth at defense (where we have elite talent). I don't think anyone can say we don't have a deep prospect pool.

Ya you're right. I meant the teams talent poor. But we are getting richer. Slowly.

haha, the poorest in the league indeed

Edited by Numark

Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia, Larsson, Compher, Fasching, Baptise, Hurley, Possler, Carrier, Bailey, Deslauriers. That's twelve forwards that have nhl potential, which is more than almost every team in the league.

If you're counting Girgensons, then you're going to give a few teams 3/4 guys that they can count. Which instantly puts them ahead of us.

Possler, Bailey and Deslauriers would be surprises if they ever have a meaningful NHL impact.

Honest question: Have you looked at other teams or are you just stating that as a guess?

If you're counting Girgensons, then you're going to give a few teams 3/4 guys that they can count. Which instantly puts them ahead of us.

Possler, Bailey and Deslauriers would be surprises if they ever have a meaningful NHL impact.

Honest question: Have you looked at other teams or are you just stating that as a guess?

okay then take off girgensons and the other 3 and that's still 8 forwards. Which is where I'm getting the depth part at. And yea I have looked at other teams prospect pools, but I don't know anyone's nearly as much as ours. But you'll have a tough time finding opinions that the sabres don't have a deep prospect pool. And if its not the defense that is giving the depth part, then its the forwards. In the past three years we have draft 5 forwards in the top 2 rounds (not counting girgensons), we have traded for 3 forwards, and two forwards such as baptiste and possler had exceptional 2013 campaigns.

But if you don't think we have a deep prospect system, please let me know who you think has a prospect system deeper in regards to forwards.

Edited by Numark

And if its not the defense that is giving the depth part, then its the forwards.

But it IS the defense. We have good depth as far as forwards go. But most of them are bigger question marks than what a lot of other teams have. As far as likely NHL talents go, there are teams that are deeper.

But it IS the defense. We have good depth as far as forwards go. But most of them are bigger question marks than what a lot of other teams have. As far as likely NHL talents go, there are teams that are deeper.

Wait so you agree that we have a deep prospect pool. But you think its our defensive prospect that make it deep? Ristolainen and zadorov are elite talent. And then pysyk and mccabe are a few notches below but still seen as having top 4 potential. So where is the depth part coming from?

I guess we have different definitions of depth. I think we have a a ton of nhl potential forwards, but lack elite talent.

edit: I'd honestly be interested in hearing which teams you think have more depth at forward than the sabres, that would make you say it isn't deep. I personally think its the leagues deepest (not the best by any means).

Edited by Numark

Wait so you agree that we have a deep prospect pool. But you think its our defensive prospect that make it deep? Ristolainen and zadorov are elite talent. And then pysyk and mccabe are a few notches below but still seen as having top 4 potential. So where is the depth part coming from?

I guess we have different definitions of depth. I think we have a a ton of nhl potential forwards, but lack elite talent.

edit: I'd honestly be interested in hearing which teams you think have more depth at forward than the sabres, that would make you say it isn't deep. I personally think its the leagues deepest (not the best by any means).

You're the first person to ever argue that our prospect pool isn't good because of the defense. Deep on defense is different than deep on offense. There are six defensive spot. Twelve on offense. Just like goalies. If you have three good goalie prospects then you're loaded.

You're the first person to ever argue that our prospect pool isn't good because of the defense. Deep on defense is different than deep on offense. There are six defensive spot. Twelve on offense. Just like goalies. If you have three good goalie prospects then you're loaded.

I'm not going to argue with you, especially if you don't understand what I'm saying and miss any point I make. I didn't say our prospect system isn't good because of defense, and i know how many players play each position. But thank you for letting me know. :worthy:

Here is how I would rank our teams top 20 prospects with no girgensons

1. Defense

2. Defense

3. Forward

4. Forward

5. Defense

6. Defense

7. Forward

8. Forward

9. Forward

10. Forward

11. Forward

12. Forward

13. Defense

14. Forward

15. Goalie

16. Forward

17. Forward

18 Forward

19. Forward

20. Forward

If you don't get where I'm coming from when i say i think we have depth at forward, while the elite talent is defense, then I'm sorry. The reason we have a deep prospect pool is because of the number of nhl potential talent we have, not because of high end talent at defense. Agree to disagree, have a good easter

Edited by Numark

I'm not going to argue with you, especially if you don't understand what I'm saying and miss any point I make. I didn't say our prospect system isn't good because of defense, and i know how many players play each position. But thank you for letting me know. :worthy:

Here is how I would rank our teams top 20 prospects with no girgensons

1. Defense

2. Defense

3. Forward

4. Forward

5. Defense

6. Defense

7. Forward

8. Forward

9. Forward

10. Forward

11. Forward

12. Forward

13. Defense

14. Forward

15. Goalie

16. Forward

17. Forward

18 Forward

19. Forward

20. Forward

If you don't get where I'm coming from when i say i think we have depth at forward, while the elite talent is defense, then I'm sorry. The reason we have a deep prospect pool is because of the number of nhl potential talent we have, not because of high end talent at defense. Agree to disagree, have a good easter

Who are your 3 and 4 prospects, Grigs and Armia?

Who are your 3 and 4 prospects, Grigs and Armia?

Yea, I would still put those two ahead of pysyk and McCabe for the time being. I want too see what grigs does in the ahl in his first season there, and I want too see Armia healthy next year with a year of North American hockey under his belt.

Pysyk and McCabe are a lot more likely to hit their potential (too 4 defenseman), but grigs and Armia have a higher potential (just less likely to hit it).

I read this before I watched the video and was concerned that he was the type to bypass celebrating teammates to get in his "special" celebration. I really hate that (yes, even when Kaleta or any other Sabres player does it.) Fortunately, the last one showed me that he is not that type.

This is why I new MacKinnon would be a star in the NHL. It's all about team with him.

Find the video of him scoring the EN clincher in the final of last year's Memorial Cup. He didn't do a crazy solo celebration, he didn't even celebrate with the players on the ice. No, he skated right for the bench and jumped into the middle of it. Awesome!!

Here you go ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw01uXVuxwE

April 19th Recap late 1st / Early 2nd Round Propects

WHL

Chase De Leo C Portland 0G 1A in 5-3 win over Kelowna

Series tied 1 game each

2014 IIHF U18 World Championship-

Jack Glover D USA 0G 1A +1+/-

Alex Tuch FW USA 0G 1A +1+/-

Ryan Collins D USA 0G 0A +1+/-

Jack Dougherty D USA 0G 1A +1+/-

Dylan Larkin FW USA 0G 0A

Johnathan MacLeod D USA 0G 0A

Alex Nedeljkovic G USA 24SHA 24SVS

USA Defeats CZE 3-0 in Group B game 7

Connor Bleackley FW Canada 1G 0A +1+/-

John Quenneville FW Canada 0G 0A +1+/-

Travis Sanheim D Canada 0G 0A +2+/-

Canada defeats GER 5-2 in Group A Game 8

Adrian Kempe FW Sweden 1G 1A

Anton Karlsson FW Sweden 0G 0A -1+/-

Marcus Pettersson D Sweden 0G 0A -2+/-

Oskar Lindblom FW Sweden 2G 0A +1+/-

Sweden defeats RUS in group A game 10

Kevin Fiala FW Switzerland 0G 1A +1+/-

FIN defeats SUI 2-1 in Group B game 9

Edited by Crusader1969

I would be beyond disappointed if our two top five picks ended up being this. Draisaitl is a mid-teens pick in most drafts. The type of guy who has outstanding potential, but endless question marks. Not somebody you take two overall. I'd be fine with him at five in this draft, but not at two. Ehlers is similar. Produces at a high rate, but it's highly questionable if he'll be able to do some of the things he does at the NHL level.

Really hoping that Snow is being honest about them keeping their pick this year.

Draisaitl I would put above Risto, Horvat, and Domi, and Nurse in last years draft. Maybe #7. Of course Nicushskin and Monahan's stock have risen since that draft....but Draisaitl would be high. Nobody was getting comparisons with Jagr last draft.

Draisaitl I would put above Risto, Horvat, and Domi, and Nurse in last years draft. Maybe #7. Of course Nicushskin and Monahan's stock have risen since that draft....but Draisaitl would be high. Nobody was getting comparisons with Jagr last draft.

One person mentioned Jagr, but comparisons don't mean anything. They're always about style, not skill. You'll see a random player in the third round get a huge comparison just about every year due to style/home town, etc. Draisaitl would've been outside of the top ten last year.

Edited by Tankalicious

One person mentioned Jagr, but comparisons don't mean anything. They're always about style, not skill. You'll see a random player in the third round get a huge comparison just about every year due to style/home town, etc. Draisaitl would've been outside of the top ten last year.

I agree he would have been outside the top-10 last year, but last year wasn't a typical draft. In a previous post you said something like "mid-teens in most drafts" and that's definitely overstating it; he's probably a 6-10 in a standard draft.

I would be beyond disappointed if our two top five picks ended up being this. Draisaitl is a mid-teens pick in most drafts. The type of guy who has outstanding potential, but endless question marks. Not somebody you take two overall. I'd be fine with him at five in this draft, but not at two. Ehlers is similar. Produces at a high rate, but it's highly questionable if he'll be able to do some of the things he does at the NHL level.

Really hoping that Snow is being honest about them keeping their pick this year.

Yeah I was just antagonizing ink.

I'll take whichever Sam Tim likes more and Jack Eichel with the islanders pick.

There will be a little something extra for you under the Menorah come next Chanukah ... ;) ... :angel:

Didn't mean to excite you :P

Edited by qwksndmonster

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.