Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Bennett retains top spot on final Central Scouting list

In a year when projecting the best player eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft might be as stern a challenge as it's ever been, Kingston Frontenacs center Samuel Bennett was the desired choice from start to finish in the minds of the gurus at NHL Central Scouting.

Bennett, considered the top player by Central Scouting in its midterm ranking in January, again is No. 1 on the final list of the top draft-eligible skaters in North America. Central Scouting on Tuesday released its final rankings of the top North American and European skaters and goalies.

Rounding out the top five in North America are: No. 2 Aaron Ekblad of the Barrie Colts; No. 3 Sam Reinhart of the Kootenay Ice; No. 4 Leon Draisaitl of the Prince Albert Raiders; and No. 5 Michael Dal Colle of the Oshawa Generals.

Kris Baker@SabresProspects 4m

Nikolaj Ehlers rises from #22 to #13. Great speed and shooting skill, wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks into top 10.

If the Isles give up their pick this year could he be a consideration for the Sabres? Seems to excelling in the playoffs. 16 points in 6 games on Drouin's Line for Halifax. Had 49G 55A for 104 Pts in the regular season. Picking him 4-6 might be a little high, but would the upside be worth it?

I would be concerned about Ehlers size, I think the Sabres are trying to emulate the way the Western Confernece plays and I don't see him fitting.

I REALLY like the thought of Brendan Lemieux with the late first round pick (hopefully using the Blues) or maybe trading up a few spots to get him.

A draft that brings in either of the Sams, Dal Colle, Lemieux and Adrian Kempe or Anton Karlsson would be beyond fantastic.

Edited by Crusader1969

From Elliott Friedman 30 Thoughts

27. John Vogl of The Buffalo News quoted Tim Murray as saying he doesn't think "there's any appetite right now to change" the draft lottery. "I believe if there is an appetite to change it, if they're going to make a drastic change, it has to be something like three to five years out so it doesn't affect somebody that's in that position now." I looked into this, and it sounds like it's still something the NHL wants to do. And, although it's not always easy to get full agreement between them, the NHLPA agrees with the anti-tanking idea. I guess we'll have to wait and see where it goes.

From Elliott Friedman 30 Thoughts

This is why I had zero concerns about the potential changes to the draft lottery. When things like this go down it significantly effects the strategy for all non-playoff teams. Real leagues don't drastically alter the competitive landscape without some time for adjustments.

See the USGA ban of anchored putters. They have given the players multiple seasons and a multiple stage phase-out before the hard ban.

Kris Baker@SabresProspects 4m

Nikolaj Ehlers rises from #22 to #13. Great speed and shooting skill, wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks into top 10.

If the Isles give up their pick this year could he be a consideration for the Sabres? Seems to excelling in the playoffs. 16 points in 6 games on Drouin's Line for Halifax. Had 49G 55A for 104 Pts in the regular season. Picking him 4-6 might be a little high, but would the upside be worth it?

If the Isles give up their pick and Dal Colle is gone, Virtanen would be my next choice.

Reinhart being compared to Oates

Bennet to Gilmour

Draidaitl to Jagr

Guess you go with Reinhart + dal colle if you got two picks.

If i only got one pick i'd might go for bennet still.

Only one person made that comparison. And they're obviously a bit crazy.

More from Friedman:

28. A little more than a week ago, Andrew Barroway was looking to purchase 75 per cent of the New York Islanders -- although there were questions about his ability to raise the capital. Now, The Sports Business Journal's Chris Botta reports Charles Wang may maintain majority ownership in the beginning, with Barroway having the ability to take control later. We heard the same number for the value of the club, $370 million.

29. One thing about Wang: he is very loyal to GM Garth Snow. Even if he had only a minority stake in the team, there were questions about what kind of assurances he may want about Snow's future.

I wonder if Snow tries to repay this loyalty by winning next year and keeping a top five pick.

If I were the Sabres...

1st overall: Sam Reinhart

4th/5th overall: Leon Draisaitl or Michael Dal Colle

29th overall: Adrian Kempe

31st overall: Brendan Lemieux

Me too.

More from Friedman:

I wonder if Snow tries to repay this loyalty by winning next year and keeping a top five pick.

I think there's no doubt he will try. Will he succeed is another question. In most seasons probably 29 of the 30 GM's want to win and improve their team. Want being the key word.

If I were the Sabres...

1st overall: Sam Reinhart

4th/5th overall: Leon Draisaitl or Michael Dal Colle

29th overall: Adrian Kempe

31st overall: Brendan Lemieux

I'm close to this. Agree with the first two. Kempe, Lemieux or Karlsson (if he falls) would interest me with one of those last picks. The other would be Thatcher Demko for me. I still think he should be in the system if we get St. Louis' pick.

you don't give a way a top 5 pick no matter how much better or worse off a draft class is.

Any of the top 5 you pick will slot in right after next years top 3 if they were in same draft years. And ekblad is someone they can use for sure.

I agree I think the Islanders will be using that pick. It should be interesting to see what Murray does but I do think the players he picks are going to be over 6 feet tall.

TM has said that he'd like to get more 2015 firsts than 2014. I wonder if he was pushing for a 2015 pick in the Vanek trade, and the Isles refused then decided they would give at least a chance that TM could get his 2015 by putting this condition on it. So really it was never going to be a 2015 pick and the Isles are planning on giving it to us almost no matter what (barring them winning the lottery).

Obviously they didn't plan on being this bad the rest of the season, either.

I don't think TM was worried about the Islanders 1st round pick at the time.

you don't give a way a top 5 pick no matter how much better or worse off a draft class is.

Any of the top 5 you pick will slot in right after next years top 3 if they were in same draft years. And ekblad is someone they can use for sure.

I would almost always agree with this. However, when you are not a very good team (you just ended the year in the bottom 5) and there is not 1 but likely 2 generational type players in the next draft then it's not so cut and dry. As has been said, it will be an interesting decision and I think I will be happy either way (unless Isles end up with 6th overall pick and give it to us).

I'm close to this. Agree with the first two. Kempe, Lemieux or Karlsson (if he falls) would interest me with one of those last picks. The other would be Thatcher Demko for me. I still think he should be in the system if we get St. Louis' pick.

Again, looking at our depth in net with Enroth, Neivrith, Leiwen, Hackett, Ullmark, Makarov, Petersen, I have to say that using a late 1st or early 2nd round pick on a GT prospect is unwise. I argue this point a ton but you can get very good GT in the 3rd rnd and beyond. No reason to waste that pick IMPO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.