Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

For those curious http://www.whl.ca/page/page-nhl-entry-draft

List of WHL players drafted into the NHL going back to 2002. Names include Evander Kane, Seth Jones, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Nino Niderreiter.

Also I will toss out Curtis Lazar as a WHL prospect

I use 5 metrics.

First, is the league that you play in. If you look at the draft over the last 15 years, the WHL(where Reinhart plays) in, the top 10 is a wasteland for forwards. Whether it's Gilbert Brule, Thomas Hickey, Zach Hamil, Keaton Ellerby,Kyle Beach, Scott Glennie, or Brett Connolly. I think you can argue that it's coincidence, but the type of analysis I'm doing, I have to take meaning from this. The OHL(where Bennett plays) doesn't have this problem.

Top 10 may be, but the top 5 especially since the 05 lockout are anything but a wasteland.

The wasteland comment was hyperbole, I shouldn't write after wine starts.

My point Liger, is that the comparison between OHL and WHL players is a complex topic. If you cut it at 5, it's one answer, if you cut it at 10, it's another. WHL Defenseman don't share this at all. I think it's fair to say the WHL puts out really good forwards (it's an opinion), and it's also fair to say WHL forwards should be heavily discounted(a different opinion), we're always working with a limited data set.

So using the value system in the first try, I discounted WHL stats heavily, I don't draft Myers or Ennis even though they were probably the best two on the board at those picks. But if I'm LA, I'm not picking Thomas Hickey with PK or Couture or Gagner on the board.

Next time I'll use different number to value WHL players, and Reinhart's value will be higher, will it create a better alternative universe Sabres? Don't know. This is why I think you have to look at 25 picks, does this system work over the 11 years, I think so, Is it a work in progress, definitely

If you look at the blog, it gets Kane about right, RNH and Nino not so much, and regarding Jones or Lazar, I won't be able to add 2013 for a few years to judge success.

On a side note, I calculated PPG for 17 year olds about 2 or 3 weeks ago, then again yesterday. Ehlers is really playing well right now. If only he was 30 pounds heavier.

Ryan Kennedy at the Hockey News giving Leon Draisaitl lots of love this afternoon and thinks he should be the #1 pick in the draft. I know he didn't have a great WJC but he certainly has picked up the pace since returning to Prince Albert.

There is another interesting piece that the Red Line Report that has Draisaitl ranked only behind Ekblad.

Ryan Kennedy at the Hockey News giving Leon Draisaitl lots of love this afternoon and thinks he should be the #1 pick in the draft. I know he didn't have a great WJC but he certainly has picked up the pace since returning to Prince Albert.

There is another interesting piece that the Red Line Report that has Draisaitl ranked only behind Ekblad.

To be fair, he said he's the best prospect not the number one pick. He said that that's based on what he is hearing from teams, but I think Draisaitl would be at the top of more lists if this were true. Kennedy likely just really likes Draisaitl.

Would anyone trade Tyler Myers to the Oilers for their 2014 1st round pick?

No. If they won the first overall pick later on and were definitely going with Reinhart then I would give them a D prospect and another pick to swap spots. Something like Ruhwedel, the 2nd pick and a 3rd for the first overall pick. If that would get it done.

Edited by Tankalicious

Nah. We already have 3 likely top 10 picks in the next 2 drafts 2 likely top 5

Myers is the kind of player you can build around if he keeps putting it together.

Agreed and the way he has been playing lately, shouldn't even be considered. He one of the few Sabres generating offense and he plays D.

Bennett suspended indefinitely:

Top prospect Bennett out 'indefinitely'

Kingston Frontenacs center Samuel Bennett, No. 1 on NHL Central Scouting's midterm list of the top draft eligible skaters from North America, could miss his second straight game on Sunday while the Ontario Hockey League continues to review an incident that occurred three days ago involving the top 2014 draft prospect.

The Kingston Whig-Standard reported on Friday that Bennett is serving an "indefinite" suspension after being issued a double minor for high sticking 13:38 into the third period of a 5-4 loss to the Peterborough Petes on March 6.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Does anyone know how the second round works vis-a-vis the lottery? If we finish last, do we get the first pick in the second round regardless of the lotto results?

I ask because there are only 29 picks in the first this year (NJ) so the 1st pic in the second round is still a top30 pick...

Does anyone know how the second round works vis-a-vis the lottery? If we finish last, do we get the first pick in the second round regardless of the lotto results?

I ask because there are only 29 picks in the first this year (NJ) so the 1st pic in the second round is still a top30 pick...

There are 30 picks in the 1st round now since the NHL gave the Devils the 30th pick regardless of where they finish in a reduction of the cap violation penalty. The 2nd round and subsequent rounds are determined by actual order of finish in the standings.

Yes the team that finishes 30th, has the first pick in every round starting with second round.

@SabresProspects

Draft stuff: Draisaitl 4-pointer highlights Friday fun. Roland McKeown scores a nice one >> http://www.sabrespro...y-milano.html …

More on Leon...

16g, 25a, 41pts since WJC (21 games)

11g, 16a, 27pts in last 11 games.

He will be considered at length by whomever for #1 overall pick.

More on Leon...

16g, 25a, 41pts since WJC (21 games)

11g, 16a, 27pts in last 11 games.

He will be considered at length by whomever for #1 overall pick.

I had to do some driving this weekend so I was listening to I think either 590 or 1050 but they interviewed Leon and he seemed very mature and humble. He was asked what he thought of being called the German Gretzky and he shrugged it off by saying a friend started calling him that after putting up a bunch of points one year but called it rediculous to be compared to one of the greats. Kid appeared to be well spoken and has his head on straight based on that one interview.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.