Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Bennett ranked No. 1: Real deal or fool’s gold?

Gare Joyce - SportsNet

bennett_sam640.jpg

When NHL Central Scouting Service released its preliminary list of players eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft on Monday, scouts working for the league reached a virtual consensus with regard to the top of its lists.

“You can try to look too smart,” one NHL scouting director said.

This was directed at CSS’s naming centre Sam Bennett of the Kingston Frontenacs as the No. 1 overall skater in North America.

You know if Edm drafts #1 as long as we have #2 we're fine. To be honest if the Oilers take Reinhart, that actually gives us the ability to ransom off Ekblad and still get a top 5 pick.

Regardless, I'd trade players for 2015 1st rounders not 2014 1st rounders.

As I said before, I really think that's easier said than done.

You know if Edm drafts #1 as long as we have #2 we're fine. To be honest if the Oilers take Reinhart, that actually gives us the ability to ransom off Ekblad and still get a top 5 pick.

I don't think i'd be the only one shocked if Edmonton didn't go with defense if they did get #1 again.

As for Bennett- he was born in the same town as Connor McDavid, and both were linemates when they played on the Toronto Marlboros. Reuniting these 2 childhood friends would really end our "suffering".

Also an FYI, the CHL Prospects game is this Wed night at 9pm on NHL Network. Dal Colle, Reinhart, Ekbald, Leon are all playing. Bennett is out due to a groin injury.

Edited by Loyalty

Convince the islanders to let us draft this year.

We take Reinhart/kapanen - bennet . resign ott + Moulson

2015 if we are lucky we take Mcdavid or eichel.

in 2016 we could have this line up, work your magic murray :P

Moulson - Mcdavid - Reinhart/kapanen

Bennet - Grigorenko - Girgensons

Ennis - Hodgson- Foligno

Ott - Larsonn - Flynn

Erhoff - pysyk

Ekblad myers - Mcnabb

Zadorov - Risto

x Mccabe

Enroth

Hackett <--- don't think the kid will make it. Ullmark and makarov will be breathing down his neck soon.

btw have been looking up on bennet a bit, i wouldn't mind taking him over ekblad and reinhart.

then again i might even consider taking Kapanen over ekblad and reinhart if you want real speed on your wing.

Edited by Heimdall

Feaster was Calgary's GM. I got my Northwest Canadian hockey teams mixed up :doh:

Heimdall how in the world do we end up with Ekblad, McDavid, and Rheinhart in that situation again? :huh:

crap meant to type myers instead of ekblad, Mcdavid we draft a year later with luck :P

And Bennett.

With the islanders pick offcourse

Edited by Heimdall

The first 1:30 is kinda of an intro but after that it gets good. Someone this board still isn't really talking about but could easily be our Islander pick (I think the isles may defer if they can't get Ekblad) Michael Dal Colle is mentioned at the 2:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFo-Kza0BEQ&feature=youtu.be

They also discuss Ekblad, Rienhart, Draisaitl and some others...

Edited by LGR4GM

Something to keep in mind:

Kris Baker@SabresProspects

Last year, Nikita Zadorov was the 30th ranked NA skater on Central's midterm list. J.T. Compher was 20th.

"Sam Reinhart he is an exceptional talent with the puck. His hockey sense and IQ are probably the best in this draft class. His vision and his passing just stand out."

Edited by LGR4GM

Ennis - Hodgson- Foligno

Ott - Larsonn - Flynn

Erhoff - pysyk

Ekblad myers - Mcnabb

Zadorov - Risto

x Mccabe

Enroth

Hackett <--- don't think the kid will make it. Ullmark and makarov will be breathing down his neck soon.

btw have been looking up on bennet a bit, i wouldn't mind taking him over ekblad and reinhart.

then again i might even consider taking Kapanen over ekblad and reinhart if you want real speed on your wing.

Ott is totally going to resign here if the plan is to put him on the 4th line. Are we paying him like a 4th liner, too?

Ennis - Hodgson- Foligno

Ott - Larsonn - Flynn

Erhoff - pysyk

Ekblad myers - Mcnabb

Zadorov - Risto

x Mccabe

Enroth

Why do I get the feeling that either Crosby or Malkin will miss a significant amount of time with an injury next season causing the Penguins to finish in 14th place and out of the playoffs. And with their 0.5% chance they win the Mc David Sweepstakes.

Jake Virtanen was tested on both his forward and backwards skating times today ahead of the Top Prospects game. He was tops in both categories for all players tested today. He also was 2nd in the fastest weave time with the puck. He has 42pts in 43gp this season and is a 5'11" RW ranked 9th by central scouting. If we end up with another first round pick in the middle somewhere he could be a great kid to target. He has a late 1996 b-day for this draft being just about 1 month away from being eligible for next years draft.

Jake Virtanen was tested on both his forward and backwards skating times today ahead of the Top Prospects game. He was tops in both categories for all players tested today. He also was 2nd in the fastest weave time with the puck. He has 42pts in 43gp this season and is a 5'11" RW ranked 9th by central scouting. If we end up with another first round pick in the middle somewhere he could be a great kid to target. He has a late 1996 b-day for this draft being just about 1 month away from being eligible for next years draft.

Not another undersized winger. Isn't Ennis enough? Or do we consider him a centre now? Either way I don't want two guys in our top 6 under 6 foot. Not in today's NHL.

Not another undersized winger. Isn't Ennis enough? Or do we consider him a centre now? Either way I don't want two guys in our top 6 under 6 foot. Not in today's NHL.

For the record, Virtanen is listed as 6'1 in multiple places, but these heights are often inflated. Height isn't the only indicator of size.

Funny you should say this...

according to CSS and ISS and EliteProspects

6'1" 208lbs is the new book on him. I took his original height from hockeydb. That said I disagree with the assessment that a 5'11" winger is undersized. There are multiple top line guys who are that size.

Edited by LGR4GM

Funny you should say this...

according to CSS and ISS and EliteProspects

6'1" 208lbs is the new book on him. I took his original height from hockeydb. That said I disagree with the assessment that a 5'11" winger is undersized. There are multiple top line guys who are that size.

But Tyler Ennis is 5'9, so please no more wingers under 6'5.

For the record, Virtanen is listed as 6'1 in multiple places, but these heights are often inflated. Height isn't the only indicator of size.

It was actually amusing for me because right before he posted I was looking at different sights trying to ascertain Virtanen's actual size because I had just noticed the discrepancy. Either way I think weight is also a key factor when talking about size.

The important thing to note about Virtanen is that he is very young for his class and he skates extremely well. That being said you should also note that he has 26goals in 43 games. Bennett has 26goals in 40 games. So while the all around points may not be there, Virtanen is scoring goals at a rate like the rest of his class. I have said it before, you need to find the guy who generates the offense and not the guy cashing in. Matt Moulson is a nice player but he cashes in, he doesn't generate. I am not sure what Virtanen is but something to keep in the back of your mind.

Edited by LGR4GM

Virtanen was described as a big power winger with an edge in everything I've read.

He was ranked higher before the start of the year, then dipped because of crappy start offensively.

Hopefully he is bouncing back

Edited by dudacek

Why do I get the feeling that either Crosby or Malkin will miss a significant amount of time with an injury next season causing the Penguins to finish in 14th place and out of the playoffs. And with their 0.5% chance they win the Mc David Sweepstakes.

Ahh yes the time-tested "Indianapolis Colts method".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.