Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

i was thinking about this as well this morning...but in regard to all of our 2nd round picks. do you think we could trade a couple of our seconds for a teams 1st next year?

This would likely only happen as the draft is going on if a player that a particular team really likes falls further than expected and the team wants to move up and take them. It's definitely possible though.

This would likely only happen as the draft is going on if a player that a particular team really likes falls further than expected and the team wants to move up and take them. It's definitely possible though.

yeah, thats kind of the only scenario i would expect for that too. i sort of feel like that is an option they may try to go down since murray said he prefers quality over quantity. im just not sure if another team would buy in to a deal like that.

Murray professed a love for strong-skating defencemen who can get the puck and turn back up ice.

Out of context obviously, but a point for Ekblad

im not sure how i feel about this. if we get first over all, i would really hope we take SR. he did say that they way you build is by drafting well. if you draft well you can make better moves (trades?). so again if we have first overall he may select Ekbald and then we have 5,000 d men in the system. do when then trade away one of our further along guys and wait for ekbald to get up to speed? or i guess trade down a spot and get SR along with another pick or prospect?

No not that. I mean instead of say, Miller for a number one in 2014, say Miller for a 1st rnd in 2015.

I'm not sure if NFL logic translates to the NHL, but a one year deferral usually means you lose a round's worth of value. So a 2014 2nd = 2015 1st. I like the idea, but given the way Murray has been talking I don't think that will be the way he operates. If McDavid really is a generational talent, I'd like all the ping pong balls we can get to have a shot at him.

If we can convince Ott and/or Moulson to be traded and come back that'd be a plus. Miller I'm on he fence on what to do, but it looks like it'll be a trade. Thus

Ott for someone's 1st rounder in 2015 and a 3rd rounder this year or (b) a 1st rounder in 2014

Moulson for a 2015 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder this year prospect or two.

Miller for a 2015 1st rounder and something.

See if Tallinder, Sulzer, or even McBain is worth something to someone.

If option (b) is taken then trade that 1st rounder to Ottawa for their 1st rounder next year and a prospect Murray likes.

During the 2014 draft, aside from grabbing an elite player at the top like Reinhardt, aggressively try to move up with the extra 2nds or even package a couple together to move up into the 1st round again, then trade it to someone willing to give you their 1st rounder next year.

In the end, we could have 4 to 5+ 1st rounders in the 2015 draft. Then not only do the odds help us, but in the event we get #2 and want McDavid we'd have ample ammunition to move up.

Best case scenario: Isles defer, we finish last next year and the Isles win the lottery. We pick Eichel and McDavid. NHL champions ten years in a row.

If we can convince Ott and/or Moulson to be traded and come back that'd be a plus. Miller I'm on he fence on what to do, but it looks like it'll be a trade. Thus

Ott for someone's 1st rounder in 2015 and a 3rd rounder this year or (b) a 1st rounder in 2014

Moulson for a 2015 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder this year prospect or two.

Miller for a 2015 1st rounder and something.

See if Tallinder, Sulzer, or even McBain is worth something to someone.

If option (b) is taken then trade that 1st rounder to Ottawa for their 1st rounder next year and a prospect Murray likes.

During the 2014 draft, aside from grabbing an elite player at the top like Reinhardt, aggressively try to move up with the extra 2nds or even package a couple together to move up into the 1st round again, then trade it to someone willing to give you their 1st rounder next year.

In the end, we could have 4 to 5+ 1st rounders in the 2015 draft. Then not only do the odds help us, but in the event we get #2 and want McDavid we'd have ample ammunition to move up.

Which first rounder from this year are you trading? You definitely don't trade a potential number one pick for a first rounder next year unless it's to a very very bad team (so only teams like Florida, Edmonton, Calgary).

And as for moving up next year: I don't think anybody will even consider trading away McDavid. I don't think we could trade them three first rounders and a pick in every other round next year even just to move up one spot from 2-1 next year.

Prefer SR but wouldn't be upset with AE

*obviously we need O though

I really like Draisaitl if BUF can't get Reinhart

To pass on elite O for an amazing puck moving D still isn't worth it

BUF NEEDS OFFENCE

Plus BUF has so much depth at D to begin with

Edited by BuffaloBorn

Yeah but if he feels Eckblad is a better defenseman than Reinhart is a forward then he may trade one of our stable of dman for a quality forward. All about maximizing your assets.

Definitely an option if teams are going to be throwing around top forward prospects for what we have to offer. If Reinhart isn't there I'd take Ekblad and then move Risto or Pysyk for the best forward prospect possible.

Best case scenario: Isles defer, we finish last next year and the Isles win the lottery. We pick Eichel and McDavid. NHL champions ten years in a row.

Which first rounder from this year are you trading? You definitely don't trade a potential number one pick for a first rounder next year unless it's to a very very bad team (so only teams like Florida, Edmonton, Calgary).

And as for moving up next year: I don't think anybody will even consider trading away McDavid. I don't think we could trade them three first rounders and a pick in every other round next year even just to move up one spot from 2-1 next year.

I meant one of the random 1st rounders we'd get, not our pick.

The only way I draft Ekblad over Reinhart is if Myers is fetching us Eberle or better in a trade.

Murray professed a love for strong-skating defencemen who can get the puck and turn back up ice.

Uhhhh

@FriedgeHNIC: Aaron Ekblad has four goals in the first 33 minutes tonight for Barrie.

What Murray says publicly and what he thinks privately about this draft may be separate things. I have warmed up to Ekblad as a player over the course of the world juniors. He showed that he can play. My concern i still have is what happens when the large defender suddenly becomes average size in the NHL. He isn't overally physical but I have watched him use his body to shield pucks and nudge guys off of them. Same thing goes for Reinhart, how will his somewhat smaller frame fill out and hold up in the NHL?

I think at the end of the day Murray with the 1st overall pick should look to improve our offense first and foremost but I understand why he would take Ekblad.

I believe some in here who believe TM is baiting Snow. And I can't blame him. Any chance of getting Reinhart and one of Dal Colle, Draistl, Bennett or a tier below player would be considered a coup for the Sabres out of this draft.

Would be happy with any of these guys.

Won't be surprised when we draft after they're all gone.

I doubt that will happen. If it does there are other guys to look at.

Euro top 5

1. KAPANEN, KASPERI
  2. NYLANDER, WILLIAM
  3. KEMPE, ADRIAN
  4. PASTRNAK, DAVID
  5. VRANA, JAKUB

We should also note that Anton Karlsson is #6 on the Euro list. RW Jake Virtanen is #9 and Ivan Barbashev (from the WJC) is #12. My point in bringing up some of these other players is that is it highly likely we end up with an additional top 15pick in this draft and these are the types of players that we could grab. Usually that Euro list is +4 compared to NA Skaters meaning that if we drafted 11th we could grab a guy like Kempe or maybe even Nylander.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=699869

CSS's top 5 North American skaters

1) Samuel Bennett

2) Deutschland Dangler

3) Aaron Ekblad

4) Sam Reinhart

5) Michael Dal Colle

That's a relative surprise. Knew that Bennett was a guy that nobody talked about that should be talked about, but Reinhart at 4? Especially with how good he has been of late?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.