GDT: Columbus at Buffalo 10-10-13 at 7:00 PM

26CornerBlitz

I'm going to be a little POed if Grigorenko is in the press box. They've already begun the process of messing up his development last year by having him start in Buffalo. Everyone and their grandmother knows this is a rebuilding year and it's not a playoffs or bust situation. Give the kid a bunch of minutes in the NHL and have him learn through his mistakes. This 8 minutes a game and now in the pressbox is just garbage. We need him to be playing.

I'm going to be a little POed if Grigorenko is in the press box. They've already begun the process of messing up his development last year by having him start in Buffalo. Everyone and their grandmother knows this is a rebuilding year and it's not a playoffs or bust situation. Give the kid a bunch of minutes in the NHL and have him learn through his mistakes. This 8 minutes a game and now in the pressbox is just garbage. We need him to be playing.

Yup. I hated it when Ruff did it and I hate when Rolston does it and I know somewhere inside that Darcy has had a hand in this fiasco.

First person who says "Sabres should win" is a rotten egg. I was holding that one until the Islanders game, but I couldn't hold it anymore.

I don't even think we're as good as the Islanders. The web-site Matthew Coller writes for did predictions using advanced stats, and had Sabres listed as the 2nd worst team in hockey. The only team behind was... Minnesota Wild. Interestingly, Minnesota hasn't won a game yet either to this point.

Yup. I hated it when Ruff did it and I hate when Rolston does it and I know somewhere inside that Darcy has had a hand in this fiasco.

Yeah he drafted him

I don't even think we're as good as the Islanders. The web-site Matthew Coller writes for did predictions using advanced stats, and had Sabres listed as the 2nd worst team in hockey. The only team behind was... Minnesota Wild. Interestingly, Minnesota hasn't won a game yet either to this point.

Wow so much for the Parise and Suter show. I'm guessing that's not how they envisioned things when they got those two big fish. Looking at their roster, man are they easy to play against. Parise, Heatley, Pominville, Koivu...blech.

There something very simple he can do that will make sure he stays on the ice, and that is show some promise and some of what they saw in him that makes people believe he will be anything more (at best) then just an average player in the NHL. If he can't do that, then he shouldn't be out there.

I'm fine with benching Grigs in an effort to make him show how p.o'd he is and earn his ice. Thats the way it should work across the board. Other teams do it and many of them find success. If this kid goes wee wee wee all the way home I don't want him on this team anyways.

GO SABRES !

I'm fine with benching Grigs in an effort to make him show how p.o'd he is and earn his ice. Thats the way it should work across the board. Other teams do it and many of them find success. If this kid goes wee wee wee all the way home I don't want him on this team anyways.

GO SABRES !

Yes, and that worked out last year.

Some guys take a benching as motivation and play much better, other players are motivated in different ways. We already tried the benching and I'm not sure that is the right approach with a young player. I've watched all of the games too and I can confidently say he's played better than Drew Stafford (this isn't just a knock on the guy because he's normally the target of critisim). What gives Drew more right to be out there after several disappointing seasons? Atleast there is hope for Grigorenko.

I am not sure benching him solves any problem. I think you keep putting him out there and even during practice making him do wind sprints. The guy has mad skills, but seems to get confused on what to do. He needs to stop planning and just go full bore trying to use those skills in a phone booth. He seems to have some trouble with it, but the only way to get better at it is to get in there and muck til you figure out how to position yourself, find what works, how to used your feet, your shoulders and your stick... the later not a problem for him, but I notice he gets his legs and shoulders out of position so that even when he wins the puck, it gets away from him cause guys at the NHL level don't let up once he wins the puck.

Again, the only way for him to figure it out is to keep sending him in there. Make him the forechecker... but don't sit him and like others have said, this is a young team so what is there to lose.

P.S. Those Islander comments are weird. The Islanders are going to be one of the best teams this year. Their young guys have figured it out after a few years of mucking.

Game night! :beer:

Grigs debate is interesting. I'd add Vanek/Miller sentiment into it too. So if he sucks and DR/RR chooses "be patient and let him play", then more losses, then Vanek "f this". Or, if he sucks and RR chooses "bench him for Larsson/Porter/etc" then better chance to win, then (if win) Vanek "ok cool, pay me".

And what's he like in the room? Of course the pros know blue chips get different treatment, but the whole leash-length piece should be considered too. "d***head gets tons of ice, but i get yanked for a bad shift!".

You will be still saying that six years from now...lol

I am not sure benching him solves any problem. I think you keep putting him out there and even during practice making him do wind sprints. The guy has mad skills, but seems to get confused on what to do. He needs to stop planning and just go full bore trying to use those skills in a phone booth. He seems to have some trouble with it, but the only way to get better at it is to get in there and muck til you figure out how to position yourself, find what works, how to used your feet, your shoulders and your stick... the later not a problem for him, but I notice he gets his legs and shoulders out of position so that even when he wins the puck, it gets away from him cause guys at the NHL level don't let up once he wins the puck.

Again, the only way for him to figure it out is to keep sending him in there. Make him the forechecker... but don't sit him and like others have said, this is a young team so what is there to lose.

P.S. Those Islander comments are weird. The Islanders are going to be one of the best teams this year. Their young guys have figured it out after a few years of mucking.

But your looking at the benching as punishment (along with windsprints, etc.)

Sometimes being sent to the pressbox can help a young kid because it will give them a different view of the game and might help them understand a little more what the coaches want and what he should be doing. Being up in the box can give him a birds eye view of the game and he might get a better idea whats going on from up there

I've watched all of the games too and I can confidently say he's played better than Drew Stafford (this isn't just a knock on the guy because he's normally the target of critisim). What gives Drew more right to be out there after several disappointing seasons? Atleast there is hope for Grigorenko.

I'm all for playing Grigorenko but at the very most he's played on a par with stafford. Criticize 21 all you want but he's not the complete liability an absence of all hockey accumen that Grigs is.

But your looking at the benching as punishment (along with windsprints, etc.)

Sometimes being sent to the pressbox can help a young kid because it will give them a different view of the game and might help them understand a little more what the coaches want and what he should be doing. Being up in the box can give him a birds eye view of the game and he might get a better idea whats going on from up there

As long as there is a coach up there in his ear the whole time. Anyone know if the Sabres do that?

I'm all for playing Grigorenko but at the very most he's played on a par with stafford. Criticize 21 all you want but he's not the complete liability an absence of all hockey accumen that Grigs is.

You are probably right, but the problem is given his salary experience, his liabilities should not be a result of a lack of hustle and agression at this point, though it is. He had one year showing us what he is capable of and I just wish he would still work that hard. I still wonder if he has a shoulder/upper body injury he is nursing, the last couple of games he has been more timid in the corners than normal, even for Stafford.

I think a lot of people on here look at Stafford and see what he should be and look at Grigorenko and see what they want him to be.

Before you judge Rolston look too harshly, look at each and see what they are.

Stafford is a proven 20-goal man with good NHL size and skill, decent hockey sense and not much grit, who has forgotten how to score.

Grigorenko is a talented, gangly 19-year-old who struggles to keep up at the NHL level.

Archived