Job Performance Poll: General Manager Darcy Regier

IKnowPhysics

Job Performance Poll: General Manager Darcy Regier  

118 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the CURRENT AND PAST PERFORMANCE of Darcy Regier as the General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres:

2. 2. On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the EXPECTED FUTURE PERFORMANCE of Darcy Regier as the General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres:

3. 3. On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the RESPONSIBILITY of Darcy Regier as the General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres FOR THE CURRENT WIN/LOSS RECORD OF THE TEAM:

• 1 - Not Responsible at All for the Current Win/Loss Record of the Team
    • 5 - Somewhat Repsonsible for the Current Win/Loss Record of the Team
    • 10 - Entirely Responsible for the Current Win/Loss Record of the Team

^ Nice run down.

I have zero complaints about Regier lately in the transactions return department. I find it difficult to imagine getting better return for the assets we've moved out. In the grand rebuilding scheme, all of the moves must be moderated by the probability of success/failure for the unproven players and draft picks that were collected, but I'm encouraged somewhat by his drafting accumen and the recent investments in scouting and player development.

Numbers-wise comparisons to the '70s Canadiens aside, I believe that what the Sabres are attempting is historic, and the process, with an outcome for better or worse, will be studied by GMs for years. We will likely be historically bad for some period of time, and this is one of the few teams where that lowest point of bad-ness was an expected/predicted/intentional part of the process (because we intentionally liquidated most of our veterans for picks; I believe it was significantly different for draft-built teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago). How may other playoff-cusp teams have willfully torn apart their rosters to redraft the majority of the team? Will it work? What's the measurement for success? If it does, will other teams attempt to do the same?

In fairness, this was never really a complaint used against him, was it? Even the biggest Darcy haters will (I think...or I hope?) admit he gets good value in trades. The main points against, as I've seen them presented, are how his relatively high asking prices could prevent moves from happening that may help the team, his struggles to assemble a coherent and balanced roster, and the contracts he hands out.

In fairness, this was never really a complaint used against him, was it? Even the biggest Darcy haters will (I think...or I hope?) admit he gets good value in trades. The main points against, as I've seen them presented, are how his relatively high asking prices could prevent moves from happening that may help the team, his struggles to assemble a coherent and balanced roster, and the contracts he hands out.

That's exactly right.

But these good Darcy deals give Bucky Gleason heartburn. Why else does he feel compelled to remind everyone how horrible Darcy is every time Darcy pulls off a decent deal for the Sabres. Gleason comes off looking like a petty, little man.

PTR

Bingo

Perfectly assessed.

Absolutely.

I have said multiple times, in a vacuum, Darcy comes out ahead in recent trades. Problem is, he waits, and waits...and wastes season after season by not reaching critical mass. It happened again here. There was no reason to not have shipped out Vanek, Miller, Stafford, Lieno, and in my opinion, Myers...either last deadline or over the summer. All these 2nd round picks 2 and 3 years out only prolong suffering. 2013 was one of the deepest drafts in the top 40 picks in history according to the "experts". I would have much rather cleared out all the dead weight and cap space...accumulated as many picks TODAY..that would have bodies in the system....and by gosh by golly you could have gone out and signed some veterans with Stanley Cup wins to help teach these guys.

There is just no vision or decisiveness....EVER!

But these good Darcy deals give Bucky Gleason heartburn. Why else does he feel compelled to remind everyone how horrible Darcy is every time Darcy pulls off a decent deal for the Sabres. Gleason comes off looking like a petty, little man.

PTR

I'm no fan of Bucky's, but your post ignores his key point: that DR's job is not to win trades -- it's to ice a winning team -- and he's done a terrible job in doing so and should be accountable for this failure.

Absolutely.

I have said multiple times, in a vacuum, Darcy comes out ahead in recent trades. Problem is, he waits, and waits...and wastes season after season by not reaching critical mass. It happened again here. There was no reason to not have shipped out Vanek, Miller, Stafford, Lieno, and in my opinion, Myers...either last deadline or over the summer. All these 2nd round picks 2 and 3 years out only prolong suffering. 2013 was one of the deepest drafts in the top 40 picks in history according to the "experts". I would have much rather cleared out all the dead weight and cap space...accumulated as many picks TODAY..that would have bodies in the system....and by gosh by golly you could have gone out and signed some veterans with Stanley Cup wins to help teach these guys.

There is just no vision or decisiveness....EVER!

The bolded part is the key for me. Life is too short for this.

It makes you wonder if Pegula, Sawyer and the gang are sharper than they let on.

They know Darcy can deal, that is why he is in charge of the deconstruction.

Once the liquidator has done his work, Darcy, the good soldier, could be shuffled off to a vice-presidents role and a new architect will be brought in to use the 17 draft picks and whatever else is at hand to build a winning team. Very corporate approach to big business.

Semi-related, I agree completely with Physics in that this type of rebuild, while accomplished before on the fly, has never been so cold-bloodedly planned. Only someone with Pegula's ability to ignore his marketplace and his critics would be able to take such a risk. It will be very interesting to watch.

(CBS Sports Eye on Hockey) Buffalo Sabres taking long road to rebuild, but right one: http://www.cbssports....-but-right-one

Things are dark in Buffalo. Pitch black maybe. The Sabres are trudging through a difficult start, but it was always going to be tough. Maybe no one expected it to be historically bad for the franchise, but this is a team in transition.

Rebuilds are never easy, but when a team has put itself in a hole the size the Sabres have, the climb out is bound to be messy and casualty-filled. Buffalo's management could have continued to plod ahead and hope that every ounce of competitiveness they had left materialized, but it wasn't going to happen.

The hardest part of any rebuild is recognizing when it's time to start. The Sabres may have realized it late, but now that appears to be the direction the franchise is headed in.

This is a mess of general manager Darcy Regier's and owner Terry Pegula's own making and the cleanup is going to be unpleasant, but the good news for Sabres fans – and it's not comforting, really – it has already begun.

The Hockey News ponders the question of: Is Darcy Regier the right GM to rebuild the Sabres?: http://www.thehockey...ild-the-sabres/

Regier has his critics, legions and legions of them, but his history also suggests he can rebuild a team as well as anyone. After all, Regier was at the helm when the Sabres were truly putrid, missing the playoffs each of the three seasons before the 2004-05 lockout, then retooled the team into one that had back-to-back 100-point seasons and advanced to the Eastern Conference final in successive seasons.

And if Regier has done one thing right in Buffalo, it has been drafting and developing players.

This matters...

And so was Vanek. It's a numbers game and the Sabres are trying to maximize their chances..

By being pitiful!!!

It's like a family of 5 where the parents make $120,000 a year, quitting their jobs and going on welfare so the kids can go to college for free.

"The best chance to be a millionaire is to go to college. The kids can't afford to go to Notre Dame on our salary without taking on debt, so if we stop making money, they will have a chance to qualify for financial aid."

Meanwhile....the kids don't have the resources around them the years heading into college and their grades dip. Johnny goes to Notre Dame for free and decides to have too much fun and flunks out. Suzy goes the next year and decides to major in Sociology. Billy goes the next year and does well with a degree in Engineering. 7 years after implementing their plan, Johnny is living with 2 roommates and working at 7-11.....Suzy has her degree and is an intern at a non-for-profit...Billy has 2 more years of school ahead of him to maximize his value, and now his parents are renting an apartment and bugging Billy for money.

By being pitiful!!!

It's like a family of 5 where the parents make $120,000 a year, quitting their jobs and going on welfare so the kids can go to college for free.

"The best chance to be a millionaire is to go to college. The kids can't afford to go to Notre Dame on our salary without taking on debt, so if we stop making money, they will have a chance to qualify for financial aid."

Meanwhile....the kids don't have the resources around them the years heading into college and their grades dip. Johnny goes to Notre Dame for free and decides to have too much fun and flunks out. Suzy goes the next year and decides to major in Sociology. Billy goes the next year and does well with a degree in Engineering. 7 years after implementing their plan, Johnny is living with 2 roommates and working at 7-11.....Suzy has her degree and is an intern at a non-for-profit...Billy has 2 more years of school ahead of him to maximize his value, and now his parents are renting an apartment and bugging Billy for money.

Again there is a nuance to this whole tanking concept. I don't think the Sabres are trying to be pitiful, they're just not trying to be mediocre....again and again and again. Nobody said it is guaranteed to work, but it's the course they have clearly chosen.

It was brought up in the other thread, but I suppose is more on topic here. At this point what else can be done? Besides firing Darcy. I think most of us want to see that, but barring a 4 win Sabres team come New Years Day I just don't see it happening anytime soon. What other legitimate course would a new GM even have given the roster and organizational depth as it currently exists?

Again there is a nuance to this whole tanking concept. I don't think the Sabres are trying to be pitiful, they're just not trying to be mediocre....again and again and again. Nobody said it is guaranteed to work, but it's the course they have clearly chosen.

It was brought up in the other thread, but I suppose is more on topic here. At this point what else can be done? Besides firing Darcy. I think most of us want to see that, but barring a 4 win Sabres team come New Years Day I just don't see it happening anytime soon. What other legitimate course would a new GM even have given the roster and organizational depth as it currently exists?

You are right. If they don't fire Darcy then this is the only thing that makes sense because he has proven he can't build a winner with unlimited resources any other way.

I'll be honest...3 years ago I felt Buffalo would have been a great landing spot to be a GM. An enthusiastic owner who is willing to do anything to win and let you use every resource available. They were handing out bonuses, burying guys in the minors and overseas, getting extra draft picks to eat salary, spending at the top of the league, and making world class amenities while adding to the scouting and support staff. Aaaaaand...here we are.

They had viable assets when Pegula took over. Myers and Stafford were in the process of or coming off a great year. Connolly and Montador were pending UFA's with trade value at the deadline. Roy wasn't total damaged goods yet. The only guy Regier did well to hold onto was Pominville, who ended up playing better at the time he was dealt. You could have collected picks galore, and a guy like Myers was being talked about straight up for Bobby Ryan or possibly even Getzlaf. The Leafs turned down a 1st and 3rd for MacArthur at the deadline...and he was in the same boat and having the same type season as Stafford. There was so much that could have been done.....and I am sure if I spend a few hours, could find all my posts from that time showing that I would have moved every member of that core out of here except perhaps Vanek...in order to get rid of the soft mentality. You could have received soooo many assets in return. There were plenty of guys with heart out on the FA market to add to whatever deals were made, and you would have been adding picks 3 years ago...WHILE..having a team that could contend.

Now?.....I wouldn't want the job. I was confident 3 years ago...even 2, that it was possible to mold a winning team. Now, there are no real assets left but "hope" assets. Look where Anaheim was....worse than the Sabres 2 years ago....they said everyone was on the table to trade, got first jump on firing their coach and changing the feel...and now the past 2 years they are near the top. We just let many of our assets shrivel up. I can't honestly say that me or anyone else could make this a contending team by next year considering where this team is. I showed how to do it going into the 2013 draft where you could have accumulated 5 1st round picks, cleared $30 million in cap space, and at least signed some veterans that are winners to help teach these kids for the next 3 years such as Iginla, Jagr, Briere, Ference, etc.....but that ship has sailed. I honestly see no other options now but to just keep gutting, and receiving less in return, and pushing those draft picks out another year or 2. It really is sad.

So yes. Darcy has made it over the last 3 years....even as recently as June, that the only viable option is to tank.

Hooray Darcy.

F Us......

I still think Darcy has something to offer under the new ownership; in addition, I don't think they should make a change at the GM position just because. Darcy does have his strengths, and if the team can still benefit from them, maybe they can afford to keep a little bit longer. However, if ownership can find a GM that clearly out classes Darcy in most areas then make the change.

I forgot where I heard this, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

It was said by the media, that Darcy seems to get the best bang for his buck on tear down, and it seems to be his forte.

That statement resonated with me because of what Darcy has been able to get back in return for players in recent trades.

I am still up in the air regarding how a feel about Darcy at this point because, I feel the Sabres woes go back much further than some would like to admit.

Let me take a moment to qualify what I'm trying to say.

When someone is convicted of a criminal act or acts either of omission or commission, there are usually punitive consequences, and the degree of punishment, not always, but is usually relevant to the extent, measure, or scope of the individuals’ criminal acts or actions.

Having said that, and as ridicules as this may seem, I believe that the 2002 criminal conviction of John Rigis (1) which carried with it a Federal sentence of 15 yrs in prison hurt the Sabres organization in more ways than we can imagine.

John Rigas is scheduled to be released from prison on January 23, 2018.

IMO, the sentence John Rigas really speaks to the amount of long term perennial damage he set in motion by his decisions.

The laws of motion suggest that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, and it is for this reason, I believe that John Rigas' actions have caused a ripple effect that sometimes goes unseen because of the lightning speed in which local, national, and world events keep changing; people just forget sometimes.

It is not inconceivable to think that for every year of John Rigas' 15 yr sentence, could possibly represent the true number of years that it would take our business community to recover from the destructive ripples the Rigas family set in motion. I am certainly not discounting those touched with suffering on a personal level; however, I do want to point out that the Sabres have been a part of that suffering.

Darcy Regeir was in the middle of a crap storm in May 2002, when John Rigas and his sons were indicted.

Before I am crucified as a Darcy lover, I would for the record, state that I believe that a GM change is necessary; however, as overdue as that might be, I find myself admiring as the media stated earlier today, that Darcy seems to get the best bang for his buck on tear down, and it seems to be his forte.

I think Darcy may have a little be more to give to atone for past mistakes.

Finally, I don't think the long lasting damage that the Rigas family set in motion should be so easily dismissed, but that it should stand as a reminder that we need to make good decisions.

(1) He was forced to resign from his position as CFO in May 2002 after being indicted for bank fraud, wire fraud, and securities fraud. Timothy J. Rigas and Michael J. Rigis, his sons, as well as James Brown and Michael Mulcahey were also charged with participation in these crimes. The executives are accused of looting the corporation by concealing $2.3 billion in liabilities from corporate investors and of using corporation funds as their personal funds.[2]

I believe that what the Sabres are attempting is historic, and the process, with an outcome for better or worse, will be studied by GMs for years. We will likely be historically bad for some period of time, and this is one of the few teams where that lowest point of bad-ness was an expected/predicted/intentional part of the process ... How may other playoff-cusp teams have willfully torn apart their rosters to redraft the majority of the team?

(CBS Sports Eye on Hockey) Buffalo Sabres taking long road to rebuild, but right one: http://www.cbssports....-but-right-one

Good article.

What makes the Sabres rebuild so much more interesting is that this looks like it is going to be one that first begins with stripping the club down to the studs and almost starting from scratch. It is the kind that is long and painful, but it may be the only thing Buffalo has left to try and build an eventual contending team. I don't know that we've seen anything quite like it in the salary cap era.

Perfectly assessed.

You are right. If they don't fire Darcy then this is the only thing that makes sense because he has proven he can't build a winner with unlimited resources any other way.

I'll be honest...3 years ago I felt Buffalo would have been a great landing spot to be a GM. An enthusiastic owner who is willing to do anything to win and let you use every resource available. They were handing out bonuses, burying guys in the minors and overseas, getting extra draft picks to eat salary, spending at the top of the league, and making world class amenities while adding to the scouting and support staff. Aaaaaand...here we are.

They had viable assets when Pegula took over. Myers and Stafford were in the process of or coming off a great year. Connolly and Montador were pending UFA's with trade value at the deadline. Roy wasn't total damaged goods yet. The only guy Regier did well to hold onto was Pominville, who ended up playing better at the time he was dealt. You could have collected picks galore, and a guy like Myers was being talked about straight up for Bobby Ryan or possibly even Getzlaf. The Leafs turned down a 1st and 3rd for MacArthur at the deadline...and he was in the same boat and having the same type season as Stafford. There was so much that could have been done.....and I am sure if I spend a few hours, could find all my posts from that time showing that I would have moved every member of that core out of here except perhaps Vanek...in order to get rid of the soft mentality. You could have received soooo many assets in return. There were plenty of guys with heart out on the FA market to add to whatever deals were made, and you would have been adding picks 3 years ago...WHILE..having a team that could contend.

Now?.....I wouldn't want the job. I was confident 3 years ago...even 2, that it was possible to mold a winning team. Now, there are no real assets left but "hope" assets. Look where Anaheim was....worse than the Sabres 2 years ago....they said everyone was on the table to trade, got first jump on firing their coach and changing the feel...and now the past 2 years they are near the top. We just let many of our assets shrivel up. I can't honestly say that me or anyone else could make this a contending team by next year considering where this team is. I showed how to do it going into the 2013 draft where you could have accumulated 5 1st round picks, cleared $30 million in cap space, and at least signed some veterans that are winners to help teach these kids for the next 3 years such as Iginla, Jagr, Briere, Ference, etc.....but that ship has sailed. I honestly see no other options now but to just keep gutting, and receiving less in return, and pushing those draft picks out another year or 2. It really is sad.

So yes. Darcy has made it over the last 3 years....even as recently as June, that the only viable option is to tank.

Hooray Darcy.

F Us......

Agreed, yes he gets good value for trades, but didn't pull one off so the Sabres could tank last year and receive a top 3 plus another number one from say a Miller or Vanek trade then. Better value. Again, he also appears to have a blind spot for not being able to draft hard working talented fowards especially centers. He has yet to find the Sabres a number 1 center.

I think a lot of the current praise for his trade acumen should be muted over the fact that he could have done so much better given the options he had before last years trade deadline. As the artice stated and I reiterate Darcy has been late to the party. 5 years too late in my opinion.

So, while he is off the hook at the moment. If he doesn't do something with Miller and find a way to draft, trade for or otherwise steal a number 1 center in his prime by the end of next years draft than I am not going to be satisfied with Darcy and believe he should be fired and should have been fired after the Drury/Briere debacle.

Though I don't believe that the Staphyl infection is his fault, not treating it by trading Drew, instead of resigning him was a collusal mistake that even without the number 1 center issue has great repurcussions for the Sabres and their lackluster play.

The only thing I can say is at least Rolston has finally acknowledged the problem and put Stafford on the 4th line. I hope, but am not convinced he stays there which shows to problem with having Rolston as a coach.

timestamp='[/color]1383093335' post='519667']

Good article.

[/size][/font][/color]

The article definitely has merit.

Maybe what I am trying to say is that as fans and players have been putting up with crap for a long time which has come from the Top-down. Ownership has its privileges; however, it has its responsibilities, and that is to maintain integrity throughout an organization, and that integrity should be realized in this case by its fan base.

It seems to me that Darcy has been elected by some of the fan base to be the scape goat as you will; consequently, the anger and frustration has clearly manifested, as I witnessed probably the most demonstrative vocal display's of public anger against one man last week during a Sabres game.

Is that fair? What about some of the other corporate officers?

At this point, the one thing I wish the Sabres could do over, is that when Pegula took over the team, they would've went right into rebuild mode, and that way they could have taken advantage of the lockout year and expedited the "process" instead of putting a big effort into rehabilitating and resuscitating the old core.

That is on Darcy and the present Ownership; however, does that justify...

I understand the frustration from a fans perspective; however, wow, it seems like as fans, we've tipped over an edge, and lost focus of what is important. I get that professional sports has been sort of Soma for the masses for hundreds of years, and a great gathering places for people in the local communities that participate, but.... I don't know much; however, what I do know, is that I wouldn't want to walk in Darcy's shoe's.

At some point we have to let go and move on, and I was excited to see fellow fans do so today.

Let's Go Buffalo!

I'm no fan of Bucky's, but your post ignores his key point: that DR's job is not to win trades -- it's to ice a winning team -- and he's done a terrible job in doing so and should be accountable for this failure.

And Bucky Gleason is qualified to make that judgement? Also are you going to tell me you don't need a GM who can win at trade deadline? That's the part that galls the DR haters like Gleason. The man is a maestro of the deal.

PTR

[/size]

And Bucky Gleason is qualified to make that judgement?

I believe the win/loss columns have made that judgment. I love how the longer Darcy is here, the more ways people find to change the metric on which to judge him to convince us all that he is actually a good GM.

timestamp='[/color]1383108603' post='519752']

I believe the win/loss columns have made that judgment. I love how the longer Darcy is here, the more ways people find to change the metric on which to judge him to convince us all that he is actually a good GM.

I don't think anyone is saying that Darcy should not be judge based upon his performance under contract; however, its about making good decisions from here on out.

I get it people want someone to pay. I get it.

However, haven't Sabres past and present ownership and management teams screwed us enough already?

Discipline is sometimes best realized by a person by getting what they want.

I have had enough of the bad decisions and after the last month, I believe the ownership understands that the fans are sick of the bad decisions too, and that is why I am suggesting that they be given enough time to really examine their next move before acting.

We all can be guilty of throwing a temper tantrum because we don't get what we want.

Consequently, more now than ever, it is prudent that they understand that acts of omission and commission hold the same weight; they can both lead to success and failure in a blink of an eye.

Patience, we cannot change the past, and there is no do overs; however, we can acknowledge our mistakes, and learn to make good decisions for the future.

Fan's are asking how long? I don't know that anyone can answer that question because of the vast number of variables.

However, I can't remember a time that we have had an owner that bleeds Blue and Gold as much as Terry Pegula does; I am choosing to believe that the man has integrity, he wants the best for the City of Buffalo, and lastly, he wants nothing more than to see the Sabres win a Stanley Cup for our City.

Let's Go Buffalo!

[/size]

And Bucky Gleason is qualified to make that judgement? Also are you going to tell me you don't need a GM who can win at trade deadline? That's the part that galls the DR haters like Gleason. The man is a maestro of the deal.

PTR

Who said Bucky was qualified to do anything? I said that you ignored the key point of his piece. You can agree or disagree with that point (although frankly I don't see how you could disagree), but you can't pretend it's not there.

And again, the whole "win the trade deadline" meme is nonsense. You get exactly zero points in the standings for getting more draft picks at the trade deadline than Darren Dreger was expecting.

Here's something from Puck Daddy on DR:

The thing is, though, Regier is probably not long for the job, and so the sooner he gets fired (after knocking down the last standing walls of the burnt-out shell of the house he lit on fire), the sooner his replacement can get to work on actually building a team properly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/puck-daddy-power-rankings-gluten-free-duchene-darcy-153649685--nhl.html

No sources -- just their (pretty knowledgeable, IMHO) perspective.

It also occurs to me that perhaps TP's decision to give DR a contract extension was more about TP taking care of his peeps than about TP having unlimited faith in DR.

Wishful thinking, anyone?

Archived