Job Performance Poll: General Manager Darcy Regier

IKnowPhysics

Job Performance Poll: General Manager Darcy Regier  

118 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the CURRENT AND PAST PERFORMANCE of Darcy Regier as the General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres:

2. 2. On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the EXPECTED FUTURE PERFORMANCE of Darcy Regier as the General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres:

3. 3. On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the RESPONSIBILITY of Darcy Regier as the General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres FOR THE CURRENT WIN/LOSS RECORD OF THE TEAM:

• 1 - Not Responsible at All for the Current Win/Loss Record of the Team
    • 5 - Somewhat Repsonsible for the Current Win/Loss Record of the Team
    • 10 - Entirely Responsible for the Current Win/Loss Record of the Team

I said it earlier, Regier's ability to deal makes him valuable for the tear-down.

I really would not be surprised if he already knows he's on the way out and has been ordered to accumulate as many assets as possible before being bumped to a cushy advisor's job clearing the way for one of Pegula's Pittsburgh connections to step in and reclaim the fan base.

It fits with Darcy's good soldier personality. It fits with Kypreos' Christmas comments. It fits with the Battista hiring. It fits with what we know about the way Pegula does business. It fits with Ted's strange response to the "would firing Darcy be a panic move?" question on GR. It fits with Tom Fitzergerald's cryptic response when asked about his interest in the Sabres job.

I hope GoDD is proud of me.

I said it earlier, Regier's ability to deal makes him valuable for the tear-down.

I really would not be surprised if he already knows he's on the way out and has been ordered to accumulate as many assets as possible before being bumped to a cushy advisor's job clearing the way for one of Pegula's Pittsburgh connections to step in and reclaim the fan base.

It fits with Darcy's good soldier personality. It fits with Kypreos' Christmas comments. It fits with the Battista hiring. It fits with what we know about the way Pegula does business. It fits with Ted's strange response to the "would firing Darcy be a panic move?" question on GR. It fits with Tom Fitzergerald's cryptic response when asked about his interest in the Sabres job.

And the pulse quickens in hopeful anticipation...

What did Fitzgerald say? I googled it and didn't see anything.

You're crazy.....how can anyone possibly think they know what someone else is thinking? :P

And the pulse quickens in hopeful anticipation...

What did Fitzgerald say? I googled it and didn't see anything.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-rumours-hawerchuk-jets-next-coach/

Lots of Sabres stuff.....the Fitzgerald comment is October 23rd. You may have to click to next page....

Among other topics discussed on HC @ Noon, Pittsburgh Penguins assistant general manager Tom Fitzgerald addressed rumors that he is a candidate for Darcy Regier's GM job in Buffalo.

"I control what I can control," said Fitzgerald, who explained that he's happy in Pittsburgh. But he certainly didn't shoot down the rumours with any authority. On potentially becoming a GM: "I wasn't ready to be a dad either." But it happened.

Seems interesting that he worded it like that. Why not just say, no I have not been offered the job and I am currently not interested.

Here is something else interesting that we should pay attention to as well

Btw #Flames Feaster says discussions on going with teams about possible moves. Evident other clubs covet vets with workable deals.

Not as applicable to this thread but from the same link. I can name several Vets with workable deals that Buffalo could deal.

Fingers crossed.

I went to the bottom for everything. I have no confidence in Darcy. I want him gone. The only thing he does well is trade away talent for draft picks.

But he is late on the switch and can't draft a top offensive guy to save his life or work a trade to get one. He has had 5 years. Done waiting, he needs to be gone.

It's November 1st and Drew Stafford is still here, so down go my ratings.

Wish mine could go lower.

I went to the bottom for everything. I have no confidence in Darcy. I want him gone. The only thing he does well is trade away talent for draft picks.

But he is late on the switch and can't draft a top offensive guy to save his life or work a trade to get one. He has had 5 years. Done waiting, he needs to be gone.

Wish mine could go lower.

What has Darcy's strengths been in----

Drafting

Making low profile trades

Making trades when he was the seller

His weaknesses

Making trades when he is the buyer competing among many.

Holding onto what he has too long---perfect examples are Stafford and Afinaganov. He wouldnt trade them when they were hot but when not he would still expect the same return.

He has been one of the best in drafting. He has gotten a higher PCT of succesful picks in rounds 2-4 than many, he has been more success with picks in the bottom half of the first round. The poor period was during 2005-2007 when the scouting dept was seriously cut back.

You may complain he didnt draft any "stars" but the fact is unless you pick in the top 5 it is very difficult to draft stars. He only had one top 5 pick and that was Vanek in 2003.

He saw many players leave the team as free agents without compensation (Brierre, Drury, talinder, Lydman, McKee, Dumont, Grier, Zubrus with most of these happening between summer 2007 and summer 2009).

After these vets left he felt he had a core of players to build around...Pominville, Miller, Vanek, Gaustead, Stafford, Roy, and Connolly. Things didnt work out so he started moving these pieces.

The return for those players so far have been: Ott, 1st (Girgensons), Larsson, Hackett, Zadorov, 2nd 2014, 1st 2014/2015, Moulson, with more to come.

Buffalo has quite a bit of young talent. Over the next 2-3 years trades will need to be made to add so missing pieces with this team.

you could argue if he started to move his players who were UFAs the team would be better now instead of losing them for nothin.

The void in this team now was the failure of the 2005-2007 drafts where Buffalo only has Enroth, Weber, and Tropp to show for those years. With other teams these players are in their prime ages of 25-28.

Drafting

His weaknesses

Holding onto what he has too long---perfect examples are Stafford and Afinaganov. He wouldnt trade them when they were hot but when not he would still expect the same return.

He has been one of the best in drafting. He has gotten a higher PCT of succesful picks in rounds 2-4 than many, he has been more success with picks in the bottom half of the first round. The poor period was during 2005-2007 when the scouting dept was seriously cut back.

You may complain he didnt draft any "stars" but the fact is unless you pick in the top 5 it is very difficult to draft stars. He only had one top 5 pick and that was Vanek in 2003.

He saw many players leave the team as free agents without compensation (Brierre, Drury, talinder, Lydman, McKee, Dumont, Grier, Zubrus with most of these happening between summer 2007 and summer 2009).

After these vets left he felt he had a core of players to build around...Pominville, Miller, Vanek, Gaustead, Stafford, Roy, and Connolly. Things didnt work out so he started moving these pieces.

The return for those players so far have been: Ott, 1st (Girgensons), Larsson, Hackett, Zadorov, 2nd 2014, 1st 2014/2015, Moulson, with more to come.

Buffalo has quite a bit of young talent. Over the next 2-3 years trades will need to be made to add so missing pieces with this team.

you could argue if he started to move his players who were UFAs the team would be better now instead of losing them for nothin.

The void in this team now was the failure of the 2005-2007 drafts where Buffalo only has Enroth, Weber, and Tropp to show for those years. With other teams these players are in their prime ages of 25-28.

And the above core that was left is what worries me the most. He does seem to have an ability to draft D. Just not offensive guys with high scoring ability. He passed on a few in this past draft and failed to move up when he had a chance. Just saying. I don't have any confidence in his ability to draft offense or keep them.

The list he chose over who he let go is telling.

And the above core that was left is what worries me the most. He does seem to have an ability to draft D. Just not offensive guys with high scoring ability. He passed on a few in this past draft and failed to move up when he had a chance. Just saying. I don't have any confidence in his ability to draft offense or keep them.

Please tell me which Defenders we passed on at #8 and #16 who would fit this description.

Drafting

His weaknesses

I appreciate the thoughts and the breakdown, but for me, it is really much simpler: he's the GM. He's in charge of putting together a winning team. He put this team together -- and the team is awful. It's the worst team in the NHL and maybe the worst in the last few years.

I don't care about how many of his 3rd-round-picks have played 100 NHL games and I don't care about how many draft picks he's able to squeeze out of trades. The team he assembled is awful.

It's time for some accountability. It's time for every player, coach and employee to understand that if that person does a poor job, there will be consequences. Otherwise we're stuck here.

In looking back at drafts and ask who he passed over.....there was only one pick.

I dont want to hear about he could have picked player X who went 40 when he was picking at 15. Im looking at nearby picks he made.

The one was drafting Pearsson (D) if I recall correctly he passed over Perron and Nick Foligno who were drafted a few picks later.

In order to trade up in the draft---it takes 2 to tango. Thus isnt a video game where you can crete a reasonable price to make trades.

You cant trade up to a top 3 of the draft.

If you go back through the last 10 drafts...Buffalo, Detroit, and Calgary did not have top 5 picks. All other teams had gotten a top 5 pick.

I appreciate the thoughts and the breakdown, but for me, it is really much simpler: he's the GM. He's in charge of putting together a winning team. He put this team together -- and the team is awful. It's the worst team in the NHL and maybe the worst in the last few years.

I don't care about how many of his 3rd-round-picks have played 100 NHL games and I don't care about how many draft picks he's able to squeeze out of trades. The team he assembled is awful.

It's time for some accountability. It's time for every player, coach and employee to understand that if that person does a poor job, there will be consequences. Otherwise we're stuck here.

remember there is a salary cap so you cant overpay to keep your players just so you are a playof team. at some point you have to realize this and move on.

You cant rely on signing any free agent.

Also remember it usually takes 5-7 yrs for draft picks to fully develop. The problems now go back to the 2005-2007 draft where it appears his hands were tied in making moves and trying to sign free agents.

remember there is a salary cap so you cant overpay to keep your players just so you are a playof team. at some point you have to realize this and move on.

Also remember it usually takes 5-7 yrs for draft picks to fully develop. The problems now go back to the 2005-2007 draft where it appears his hands were tied in making moves and trying to sign free agents.

So you can't rely on overpaying your own players. You cant rely on UFA signings. So if the problem goes back to 05-07 where his hands were tied on making moves that you can't rely on anyways and he drafted like crap in those years doesn't that make this Darcy's fault?

Now this I agree with. He is the person it all stems back to, and he has not been held completely accountable for this. They passed the blame off on Lindy, and now it's coming full circle.

it takes 3 - 5 years to realize what you have in a prospect though. from the 2005 - 2007 drafts, there are only 2 players on the Sabres: Enroth and Weber, both selected in the same round in 2006. You can't blame those three years. We got extra draft picks out of dropping some of those players, and a lot of those players amounted to not a whole lot. If we couldn't sign any free agents, He should've had the wherewithal to either save money to re-sign some of our own developed talent, or start trading up in the draft for better talent. Those three years of drafting were abysmal for Darcy, by any standards.

Every team in the NHL works under the same cap, drafting timeline and other rules (although actually DR has deeper pockets to work with than 85%+ of the other teams. DR is the only one who has "built" a team that is this bad.

Wasn't sure where to post these, but check out these tweets from Matt Barnaby:

@MattBarnaby3636

Had great conversation within Sabres org yesterday. Confirmed a lot of what I already knew. Really think they need to bottom out to be good

@MattBarnaby3636

Coach is there to develop...probably not long term...Girgensons they love and think Grigerenko could be a bust...also added that with 35 scouts instead of 5 should increase chances of drafting right.

Wasn't sure where to post these, but check out these tweets from Matt Barnaby:

@MattBarnaby3636

Had great conversation within Sabres org yesterday. Confirmed a lot of what I already knew. Really think they need to bottom out to be good

@MattBarnaby3636

Coach is there to develop...probably not long term...Girgensons they love and think Grigerenko could be a bust...also added that with 35 scouts instead of 5 should increase chances of drafting right.

IF they think Grigs is a bust trade him then. I dont think a 19yr old you can call a bust. Also who the F### within an organization would actually say or admit this? Dear god what is going on down there... its like a dumpster fire at the oil depot, its just waiting to explode.

IF they think Grigs is a bust trade him then. I dont think a 19yr old you can call a bust. Also who the F### within an organization would actually say or admit this? Dear god what is going on down there... its like a dumpster fire at the oil depot, its just waiting to explode.

It's out of control!....

Also, going from 5 scouts to 35..... ummmmm.......yeah, so that means that the majority of them are not going to have any impact on the organization whatsoever. How long do you think you are going to keep "GOOD" scouts under wraps when they have zero say? You will end up with the Darcy scouts long term, knowing it's a paycheck. Imagine scouting juniors for 3 straight years and not 1 guy you advocate for gets drafted....even in the 7th round. I'm sure it's a mix of pro/overseas/yadda yadda.....but again....file your report and cash a check. Guys that want to make a difference will go where there are 5 guys.

Please tell me which Defenders we passed on at #8 and #16 who would fit this description.

I was not referring to D. There were offensive guys that he could and probably should have considered moved up to get. And there were O guys still out there including Harvat and Nichushki as well as Domi.

Not saying they will be better than Z and Risto, just saying the Sabres needed offense and they drafted D. Weingberg and Shinkaruk were on the Radar as well.

Like I said and you did not invalidate my point, Darcy can't find good O guys. Not sure why, but he has been abysmal since the Drury, Briere, Dumont, et al purge. Been really disappointing in his eval of talent, yet Stafford is still here.... why??

I was not referring to D. There were offensive guys that he could and probably should have considered moved up to get. And there were O guys still out there including Harvat and Nichushki as well as Domi.

Not saying they will be better than Z and Risto, just saying the Sabres needed offense and they drafted D. Weingberg and Shinkaruk were on the Radar as well.

Like I said and you did not invalidate my point, Darcy can't find good O guys. Not sure why, but he has been abysmal since the Drury, Briere, Dumont, et al purge. Been really disappointing in his eval of talent, yet Stafford is still here.... why??

I want people to hold my feet to the fire on Horvat and Lazar. Those are the 2 I would have taken, all-day. 2 way, center capable, overly skilled and gritty, especially given their size. Both future letter wearers.

If this board is still around in 4 or 5 years and I'm alive, let me have it if these guys aren't the goods.

Not to say Zadorov is a bum, but Horvat and Lazar are Drury/Briere reincarnated.....

Archived