All About Sabres Marketing, Branding, Promotions, P.R.

That Aud Smell

Has anyone ever determined if that hospital invited the team and their cameras for that event? Could it very well be the the hospital came to the Sabres with the idea and not the other way around?

Although, frankly, I don't see where it matters one way or the other. Mutual benefit and all that.

Like Swamp, you're a pragmatist. I guess I'm being more idealistic. For me, the end doesn't justify the means.

Like Swamp, you're a pragmatist. I guess I'm being more idealistic. For me, the end doesn't justify the means.

OK, so how about, before going off the deep end did you consider the possibility that the whole thing just might have been the hospital's idea?

I don't really have much of an issue with your idealistic point of view. It is the jump to a conclusion with little to go by that strikes me as wholly unnecessary.

OK, so how about, before going off the deep end did you consider the possibility that the whole thing just might have been the hospital's idea?

I don't really have much of an issue with your idealistic point of view. It is the jump to a conclusion with little to go by that strikes me as wholly unnecessary.

I don't see what it matters whose idea it was.

These things work many ways.

I am aware of similar situations outside of hockey where donors insisted on the cameras being present as the "return on their investment."

I am also aware of situations where recipients have talked publicity-shy donors into going public in a bid to inspire other donors.

Like PA, I think these things should be done quietly.

But I also would have a hard time saying "no" to a photo if the hospital really thought it would help the kids.

I have no idea where the Sabres stand on such things.

It's a win-win-win-win situation for all involved, mostly, so I don't see the issue, even morally.

A lot of players are family guys, or family-oriented, or were just raised right, and for whatever personal reasons want to "give back" because they are, indeed, getting a lot.

The teams facilitate the action, and provide added bonuses such as swag, Sabre Tooth, and the added effect of consolidating visits so they have more impact - when you have three or four Sabres walking around the peds ward, followed by Sabre Tooth and then some interns handing out t-shirts and hats, it makes a hell of a lot grander impression on the kids then just one player walking around.

The teams get the give-back vibe, too, because, you know, the people who work for them aren't robots. But they know, like the parents, the hospital, and the players, that there is a PR aspect to it all. The team likes the PR, of course, and the parents just like seeing their sick kids light up like Santa Claus was personally visiting them.

The players get a much needed ego adjustment, to go along with whatever personal fulfillment they get, and also honoring possible contractual obligations.

The hospitals, I'm sure, like the fact that it helps their patients, even if it's only in a superficial way. But they like the PR, and, in fact, may need in the future the cache such PR develops. For example, if the hospital did what it could to help out a kid, even if that includes inviting the Sabres over for a PR visit, when that hospital hits hard times, the people whose kids were at that hospital may in some way help out, either by voting for a bond, helping with campaigns, doing fund-raising or whatever. The hospital could survive the hard times to save and help more people in the future - thanks, in small part, to having the Sabres by for a PR visit.

The world is not idealistic - the world is pragmatic. But pragmatism doesn't have to mean dog-eating-dog; it could mean dog-cleaning-dog, or dog-playing-with-dog, or dog-hunting-with-dog.

Edited by sizzlemeister

It's a win-win-win-win situation for all involved, mostly, so I don't see the issue, even morally.

A lot of players are family guys, or family-oriented, or were just raised right, and for whatever personal reasons want to "give back" because they are, indeed, getting a lot.

The teams facilitate the action, and provide added bonuses such as swag, Sabre Tooth, and the added effect of consolidating visits so they have more impact - when you have three or four Sabres walking around the peds ward, followed by Sabre Tooth and then some interns handing out t-shirts and hats, it makes a hell of a lot grander impression on the kids then just one player walking around.

The teams get the give-back vibe, too, because, you know, the people who work for them aren't robots. But they know, like the parents, the hospital, and the players, that there is a PR aspect to it all. The team likes the PR, of course, and the parents just like seeing their sick kids light up like Santa Claus was personally visiting them.

The players get a much needed ego adjustment, to go along with whatever personal fulfillment they get, and also honoring possible contractual obligations.

The hospitals, I'm sure, like the fact that it helps their patients, even if it's only in a superficial way. But they like the PR, and, in fact, may need in the future the cache such PR develops. For example, if the hospital did what it could to help out a kid, even if that includes inviting the Sabres over for a PR visit, when that hospital hits hard times, the people whose kids were at that hospital may in some way help out, either by voting for a bond, helping with campaigns, doing fund-raising or whatever. The hospital could survive the hard times to save and help more people in the future - thanks, in small part, to having the Sabres by for a PR visit.

The world is not idealistic - the world is pragmatic. But pragmatism doesn't have to mean dog-eating-dog; it could mean dog-cleaning-dog, or dog-playing-with-dog, or dog-hunting-with-dog.

I don't always agree with you, but when I do, it's usually 100%. Nice post sizz.

Very well said.

Well said.

I guess y'all are gonna make me keep fighting.

It was a good post by Sizzle. Players wanting to give back, being good guys, that's great. It just doesn't have to be part of a marketing "blitz." It doesn't have to be so damned superficial. (And, by all accounts, Bills and Sabres and Bisons and Bulls and what have you do make personal trips into hospitals and nursing homes out of the true goodness of their hearts, without a thought of doing public relations. I can only imagine how some of these wealthy guys have helped poor families over the years, without a bit of publicity.)

I'm glad Sizzle outlined all of the beneficiaries of these visits. Why does it seem like the sick kid is an aftershot, just the money shot that's needed to really seal the deal? I mean, where are they without the kid looking up lovingly at Marcus Foligno, and could you take the oxygen off for just a moment, it's blocking her face?

We're already a society (I know, this happened in Canada) where a person's value is tied pretty clearly to his or her ability to generate revenue for someone else. Do we really want that to enter the children's wards? The hospital cashes in, the Sabres sell tickets and sponsorships, the millionaire fulfills a contract obligation, and the little girl gets to meet Cody ###### Hodgson and have her photo on sabres.com? Fair deal? Do the kids know that's the deal? Do the families really understand it?

Let's replace "Sabres" with "popular regional water park." Any difference? Are these kids available for any marketing campaign? Hey, they're gonna get a hug from Sharkie and some goodies, and that'll surely brighten their day too. Maybe even more so than a visit from a hockey player they don't care about.

Crass. I still can't think of a better word for it.

Edited by PASabreFan

It was a good post by Sizzle. Players wanting to give back, being good guys, that's great. It just doesn't have to be part of a marketing "blitz." It doesn't have to be so damned superficial. (And, by all accounts, Bills and Sabres and Bisons and Bulls and what have you do make personal trips into hospitals and nursing homes out of the true goodness of their hearts, without a thought of doing public relations. I can only imagine how some of these wealthy guys have helped poor families over the years, without a bit of publicity.)

I'm glad Sizzle outlined all of the beneficiaries of these visits. Why does it seem like the sick kid is an aftershot, just the money shot that's needed to really seal the deal? I mean, where are they without the kid looking up lovingly at Marcus Foligno, and could you take the oxygen off for just a moment, it's blocking her face?

We're already a society (I know, this happened in Canada) where a person's value is tied pretty clearly to his or her ability to generate revenue for someone else. Do we really want that to enter the children's wards? The hospital cashes in, the Sabres sell tickets and sponsorships, the millionaire fulfills a contract obligation, and the little girl gets to meet Cody ###### Hodgson and have her photo on sabres.com? Fair deal? Do the kids know that's the deal? Do the families really understand it?

Let's replace "Sabres" with "popular regional water park." Any difference? Are these kids available for any marketing campaign? Hey, they're gonna get a hug from Sharkie and some goodies, and that'll surely brighten their day too. Maybe even more so than a visit from a hockey player they don't care about.

You are still assuming that it wasn't the hospital that asked to have the cameras in there.

now see.. This is a post i can mostly agree with

Well, I'd guess it was understood or sizz forgot to mention that the kids are over the moon after getting to meet professional hockey players. Stars, famous people, stories they can lord over their friends. I think they'll be OK.

When I was maybe 10 or so, my Dad took me to the Canadian Open. I was standing along the tape barrier and a caddy walked up to me and handed me a ball. "Mr. [Morris] Hatalsky asked me to give this to you." I still remember this. I remember the ball was a #2 (Titleist, I think) with the end of a pencil pushed into it to mark it. It sat on my dresser for years. It's probably at my parents' house somewhere. I think, again, the kids will be OK.

https://en.wikipedia...Morris_Hatalsky

EDIT: I was indeed 10, 1986. My dad was a Greg Norman fan and we followed him that day in which he tied the Glen Abbey course record, 62.

Edited by MattPie

Players wanting to give back, being good guys, that's great. It just doesn't have to be part of a marketing "blitz." It doesn't have to be so damned superficial.

Because it IS superficial. In the same way taking your kids to "meet Santa", or telling them that they did a good job in the soccer game (which their team lost), or applauding their performance in the school musical are all superficial. Because to the kids, the entire thing ISN'T superficial, it's the most important thing in the world at that moment.

I'm guessing you don't have kids, PA, because you'd know that they're perpetually in a fantasy world, and everything is in the now. It's a tough line between breaking down the barrier between their fantasy world and reality. I think while they're stuck, sick in a hospital, it's OKAY to give them moments of fantasy where for a few minutes they forget they have tubes stuck in their arms and can barely lift their heads off the pillow. This is the stuff that is NOT superficial - in fact it's quite the opposite.

You're making an assumption that the parents are idiots. This has nothing to do with brain-power. If you've ever had a kid in a hospital, you'd know that it crushes your heart and soul seeing your kid in a bed with monitors, bags and all of the equipment around, hooked up to IV tubes and oxygen breathers. A parent will do ANY-F*CKING-THING to make their kids happy at that moment, which includes allowing Marcus Foligno come in for a photo op as part of a Sabres visit to the ward.

But you're right, it has to be a person or organization with status. I don't think the Walgreens Leprechaun can get away with it. That is the way it is, and it's not the Sabres fault. For all of the stupid things the Sabres do, you can not blame them for society's ills.

If you want to blame the Sabres for doing a hospital visit, why not blame all of us for using too much electricity and exploiting Chinese child labour to complain about it online? How about holding Obama responsible for using the IRS as a political attack dog? Once you're on your moral high-horse, when do you get off? Is it fair to arbitrarily select your moral enemies if fairness is your concern?

Edited by sizzlemeister

If I remember correctly, the last time we had this discussion, someone chimed in who either had a kid or a family member who was on the receiving end of one of these hospital visits at some point. That right there is the only point of view on this whole subject that means anything in this discussion, that of the kids who are visited.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.