The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

I posted the start of my workout journey here but never followed up because I'm always just so impressed by the crazy biking and other activities people post in here.

Anyways, things are going very well. I haven't been going crazy targeting specific areas, but I've seen noticeable improvement across the board. Getting comments from friends I don't see often that they can tell I've been working out has been a good boost.

The biggest differences have been mentally and in my lungs. I have less down days and don't get depressed quite as easily. My lungs have been handling running distances much better - next step is to ramp up outside running distances so I can start inching my way to a marathon.

Hoss, a marathon is a great goal to have. The idea is starting to creep into my mind. Two things have changed my thinking. 1. I didn't know a lot of marathoners walk part of the way, some of them strategically in order to have a better time. (Google Jeff Galloway.) The idea of running 26 miles without walking some is frightening to me. 2. I've been training for a 7-mile trail race and running probably 80% of the time (I'd run more except for two steep hills that kill me). And I'm not near death at the end. So if I can survive 7, maybe I can survive 14. And if I can survive 14...

Hoss, a marathon is a great goal to have. The idea is starting to creep into my mind. Two things have changed my thinking. 1. I didn't know a lot of marathoners walk part of the way, some of them strategically in order to have a better time. (Google Jeff Galloway.) The idea of running 26 miles without walking some is frightening to me. 2. I've been training for a 7-mile trail race and running probably 80% of the time (I'd run more except for two steep hills that kill me). And I'm not near death at the end. So if I can survive 7, maybe I can survive 14. And if I can survive 14...

Based solely on your own declarations regarding your age, please talk w/ your doc about this first.

I think the goal is admirable.

I think the fact that you're hitting seven miles is freaking amazing.

But if you're over 50, have the conversation, ok?  I need a nemesis here for the long run (pun intended).

Based solely on your own declarations regarding your age, please talk w/ your doc about this first.

I think the goal is admirable.

I think the fact that you're hitting seven miles is freaking amazing.

But if you're over 50, have the conversation, ok?  I need a nemesis here for the long run (pun intended).

Thanks. I have to fight my pride sometimes, but I'm very careful. When my breathing gets too rapid, I walk. Knock on wood, I've never had a hint of chest pain, breathlessness or dizziness or anything like that. I'm gradually building up, from walking more than running a mile last spring, to running a 5K distance quite a few times last summer without walking, to this 7-mile run-walk challenge. Next year, maybe 14. We'll see. Anyway, I had an EKG and echocardiogram in 2014 and my cardiologist gave his blessing. I figure the years being added to my life by exercising far outweighs the risk of dropping dead in the woods. Wouldn't be a bad way to go, actually. When Uncle Miltie calls your goal, it's your time.

I think it's all of that. And you just feel better about yourself when you're active. Doesn't hurt that you start thinking girls actually have a reason to be attracted to you, ha.

There is that. You going to skate this winter? Great lower body workout if you do it right. And it can be a good cardio as well.

Been awhile since I've been able to workout.  Last two weeks I've been able to get two 5+ mile runs in, and some smaller ones too.  Last night, the twins had their 6 month vaccinations, and were very fussy.  I loaded them into the stroller and did 6 miles (albeit I did walk 3/4 of a mile in there).  Got home, and the wife wanted to go for a walk, so I walked another mile.  Boys got a nice long nap, and dad got to burn well over 1,000 calories.

As an aside, I applaud anyone who has ever run distance whilst pushing a stroller or wheelchair.  You want calorie burn that you feel while running? Push twin boys in a stroller.  Their 18lbs each feels like nothing for the first mile and a half.  By mile 5 or so, you're feeling all 50 lbs of them and the stroller combined lol. 

I posted the start of my workout journey here but never followed up because I'm always just so impressed by the crazy biking and other activities people post in here.

Anyways, things are going very well. I haven't been going crazy targeting specific areas, but I've seen noticeable improvement across the board. Getting comments from friends I don't see often that they can tell I've been working out has been a good boost.

The biggest differences have been mentally and in my lungs. I have less down days and don't get depressed quite as easily. My lungs have been handling running distances much better - next step is to ramp up outside running distances so I can start inching my way to a marathon.

Keep up the hard work Hoss. You mentioned the improvement you've had mentally. This is fact. Running is 90% mental and 10% physical. Your mind in a workout or race wants to give in, but your body can still do more or maintain the pace you set. Believe in yourself. Once you bust a "wall" you haven't before, it's almost no looking back from there. You'll have a new wall that is farther into a race and at a faster pace to break. I've always stood by this quote in running and even life itself. "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."

- Steve Prefontaine

Thanks. I have to fight my pride sometimes, but I'm very careful. When my breathing gets too rapid, I walk. Knock on wood, I've never had a hint of chest pain, breathlessness or dizziness or anything like that.

When I ride I'll challenge myself sometimes, or when I'm with a group I'll try to hang with the fast guys, but I'm of an age (54 next month), where I know my body well enough to know when enough is enough, when I'm over-extending and to back off, etc.  Some days it means I'm not one of the fastest guys out there, which is fine.  Sometimes I get kudos from the people I'm riding with.  I'm more interested in the distance than the speed anyway.

As I get older I'm trying to set my goals about keeping moving, and not so much about top performance.  I just try to keep on keepin' on.

Been awhile since I posted an upside down thing. My instructor deals with tendonitis all the time and has been helping me safely do everything in class that I can. Not easy, wish it'd eff off, but at least I can work with it. All the circus people I know have some lingering issue like that. Guess this is mine! 

Working on this move. I have no back flexibility and can't really "meld" into the hoop like you're supposed to. Instructor was turning the hoop, not catching my plummeting body. 

RxDwxWd.jpg

This is a doubles move I need to try with my new partner, who's quite a bit shorter than my friend here. 

I'm holding both our mass with my hands. So far I'm the only one who can hold it. Being the tank of the class isn't always bad!

Getting into it, making sure Ash is set- 

XRUfhT0.jpg

And the final result!

lJhaYd8.jpg

Working on all kinds of stuff, trying to figure out my new partner. Adding another class in to improve my core and upper arm strength. I put on one of my favorite dresses I haven't worn since spring today and I could barely get it over my shoulders. Nothing slips off those puppies anymore. 

Now I just need to find time to get cardio back in. I'm still too terrified to play hockey. :/ 

I hit it particularly hard this morning.  Typically, my tough days are Tuesday and Friday, but I had a tough hearing this morning and wanted to knock out any chance of jitters.  

Added something new to the mix.  Typically, I had been doing two circuits on hard days -- rows/squats/pushups and pullups/shoulder presses/deadlifts.  (Followed by aerobic activity and then some Pliates.)  The whole workout is an hour.

But the pushups have been getting to be too easy.  

So now I'm doing pushups on rings that are suspended from a rack and reach about a foot off of the floor.  Holy does that change things!  Complete destabilization.  

It worked.  I was as cool as a cucumber during the hearing.

Eleven, if you really like circuit training I'd recommend a three day rotation. chest/back/shoulders on day one, arms and legs on day two, and on day three do strictly core exercises at a light weight, cardio, or just rest. Right now I'm doing cardio on Wednesdays and on Saturdays I might get a quick core workout in or hit the heavy bag before the rest of the house gets up. Start at a low weight and pyramid up until you can't do six reps.

On a personal note, my bench is up to 355. That's my highest non-deployment max so I'm pretty stoked about it. My goal is to hit 400 by x-mas, not sure I'll be able to hit it without pharmaceutical help but I'm hoping. From x-mas to Easter I'll focus on weight loss. I currently look like a 168lb McGregor, my goal is a 145lb McGregor.

On a separate note, life is harder for fat people. If you're fat you know this. If you know this and you allow your child to be obese, you should be ashamed of yourself. Your a bad parent and your child will suffer for it.

Eleven, if you really like circuit training I'd recommend a three day rotation. chest/back/shoulders on day one, arms and legs on day two, and on day three do strictly core exercises at a light weight, cardio, or just rest. Right now I'm doing cardio on Wednesdays and on Saturdays I might get a quick core workout in or hit the heavy bag before the rest of the house gets up. Start at a low weight and pyramid up until you can't do six reps.

On a personal note, my bench is up to 355. That's my highest non-deployment max so I'm pretty stoked about it. My goal is to hit 400 by x-mas, not sure I'll be able to hit it without pharmaceutical help but I'm hoping. From x-mas to Easter I'll focus on weight loss. I currently look like a 168lb McGregor, my goal is a 145lb McGregor.

On a separate note, life is harder for fat people. If you're fat you know this. If you know this and you allow your child to be obese, you should be ashamed of yourself. Your a bad parent and your child will suffer for it.

I do the circuit twice a week because I usually do it with a trainer and I cant afford three.

Rest of the time, Im on ergometer, bike, treadmill

Did, 20 min on bike, 10 on stair master, 10 on tread then some light circuit lifting. Next adult hockey season starts this Sunday. If anyone is near Northern Westchester/Brewster and wants to play we have 2 open spots.

Edited by North Buffalo

An update about the cross country race I ran in for the kids I coach. It was only a 2 mile race, but I wanted to show them running is truly 90% mental and 10% physical. There's strategies you can use to break your competition, but you also gotta keep yourself in the right mindset. When you begin to think you can't hang on to the pace you planned to hold or are tempted to give in, you just gotta go w/ the I know can and actually pick up the pace. Increases your confidence for the rest of the race and of course betters your time/place. Any how, broke the main competition at the 1 mile marker. Threw in a hard surge to get them thinking I had too much gas left in the tank. Did make sure the 2nd mile was faster than the 1st. I like going the negative split route. Ended up winning the race w/ a 10:42 on an xc course. Wasn't pleased w/ the time. But was VERY happy the kids were excited. Did it for them. Not myself. It showed the kids they can run well too. If an "old guy", Im 35, can beat a large numer of people in their 20's, they can run well too. We have a meet today. The motivation seemed to work. Their times in intervals and hard paced endurance runs were much faster than previous weeks. Have high hopes most of the kids set pr's today. Whenever a kid sets a new personal best I'm so happy/proud of them. They did it. They deserve all the credit.

Edited by GoPre

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.