The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Rode with a friend out to Gateway Park, the "power park" on the east side of town.  (Power park as in paved bike trails, mountain bike trails, baseball/softball fields, soccer fields, dog park, lots of stuff.)  Including the ride to the meetup point I got 37 miles in. 

The Trinity River is a little less "manicured" and a little more natural on the east side of town.

JyhdR4ikX7T6nfUoQRtg16wcNqXktqq8_h4SxY39

On the way back in we stopped at Friday on the Green, a monthly concert on the Near Southside of Ft Worth.

i-GsgDIuh8bPZ4hQD2zmsafUE8M_IKVFI9tIMjbq

Edited by Robin Egg

I ran a 5k today using an interval strategy, and ended at a 7:24 pace. Beats my lifetime best of 7:42. About the only benefit of shoulder surgery has been a renewed focus on cardio.

I'm probably starting intervals next week. Hockey season ends tomorrow for me then it's off to the running store for new shoes.

I ran a 5k today using an interval strategy, and ended at a 7:24 pace. Beats my lifetime best of 7:42. About the only benefit of shoulder surgery has been a renewed focus on cardio.

Did you use intervals to try and get a better 5k time, or just to mix it up a little? I've gotten my 5k times into the 24 minute range but that's with a steady pace.

I'm probably starting intervals next week. Hockey season ends tomorrow for me then it's off to the running store for new shoes.

It's been a long while since I did intervals for any length of time, and let me tell you, I am awfully sore today :lol:

Did you use intervals to try and get a better 5k time, or just to mix it up a little? I've gotten my 5k times into the 24 minute range but that's with a steady pace.

Just to mix it up, definitely wasn't intending on making a faster time; it's also the first time I've stuck to intervals for the whole run--normally if I start out with them I run out of gas at most halfway through and go into a steady jog. I've known for awhile intervals should be included in any weekly routine, but haven't made a concerted effort to include them in mine in probably a few years. Hoping to change that going forward--aiming to get two days of interval training in each week.

It's been a long while since I did intervals for any length of time, and let me tell you, I am awfully sore today :lol:

Just to mix it up, definitely wasn't intending on making a faster time; it's also the first time I've stuck to intervals for the whole run--normally if I start out with them I run out of gas at most halfway through and go into a steady jog. I've known for awhile intervals should be included in any weekly routine, but haven't made a concerted effort to include them in mine in probably a few years. Hoping to change that going forward--aiming to get two days of interval training in each week.

Interesting. Usually on days I don't run a 5k I'll do about a half hour of high incline walks and then finish off with 8-10 quarter mile sprints. But I've never timed that part of it. Maybe I'll give it a shot today and see how it turns out.

No, but I ride one.  ;)

A friend of mine posted one of the pics from last Sunday's Tweed Ride.  He likes to process the pictures to make them look all old and stuff.

12963583_10207830284507482_4896145274352

How many anachronisms can you find?

My friend Carla used to organize that ride here in Rochester. She now heads it in Portland, Oregon. Cycling is her life- I know there's a helmet out there with her art on it, too. Neat stuff. 

No, but I ride one.  ;)

A friend of mine posted one of the pics from last Sunday's Tweed Ride.  He likes to process the pictures to make them look all old and stuff.

12963583_10207830284507482_4896145274352

How many anachronisms can you find?

Terry Pegula built the bridge.

That is awesome! Can you break it down a little? How many intervals did you run? At what points in the run? For how long? How fast? etc.

That is awesome! Can you break it down a little? How many intervals did you run? At what points in the run? For how long? How fast? etc.

So I did intervals the entire run, 1 minute at a jogging pace, 30 second run (not all out sprint, but faster), 1 minute jog, and so on. Just bouncing back and forth until I hit the distance, then I ran on my jogging pace the until the 30 minute mark, then cooldown. This was done on a treadmill to make it easier to track, but could conceivably be done wherever as long as you don't mind running while holding a device (and the speeds wouldn't be perfect then). Speeds I used were 7 for the jog and 10 for the run, but obviously it's whatever you're comfortable with, just want to make sure there's a decent spread between them.

Quarter to 1 in the morning and I just sat down. The shower didn't quite take, my heart rate is still elevated, and I'll probably be awake until after 3.

I'm getting too old for 11pm starts.

At least we won.

I ###### love hockey.

Edited by SwampD

So I did intervals the entire run, 1 minute at a jogging pace, 30 second run (not all out sprint, but faster), 1 minute jog, and so on. Just bouncing back and forth until I hit the distance, then I ran on my jogging pace the until the 30 minute mark, then cooldown. This was done on a treadmill to make it easier to track, but could conceivably be done wherever as long as you don't mind running while holding a device (and the speeds wouldn't be perfect then). Speeds I used were 7 for the jog and 10 for the run, but obviously it's whatever you're comfortable with, just want to make sure there's a decent spread between them.

Planning on running another 5k? If so, you use the hard day/easy day training. For example you could do 8 400's (quarter mile) w/ a 2 minute break between each. This is a hard day workout. To "recover" from the hard day, put in a long, easy paced run. Just enough to get your heart rate to 120 or so for the entire run. Easy days are just as important as hard days.

Benefits from these workouts aren't really noticeable for about 2 weeks. Can't see instant results.

Also, be sure to mix things up. Don't always use quarter mile intervals.

Running (long distance races) is a great sport.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.