The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Good news, Blue. I am sorry to say I had forgotten about your troubles. OTOH you didn't do a good job updating us. Unless it was in some thread I don't frequent.

---

I think I'm picking up some of the finer points of running. Pacing is so key. I'm learning when to push it and when to back off. Also been working on my breathing. I think I've tended to look down too much and close off my chest, for lack of a better word. The last couple of times I've been keeping my chest up and out and trying to breath in more deeply, almost take a double breath in each time. Someone told me my arms and upper body were too quiet, so I've been trying to add a little oomph to my stride with my arms, without looking like dancing Elaine of course.

Good news, Blue. I am sorry to say I had forgotten about your troubles. OTOH you didn't do a good job updating us. Unless it was in some thread I don't frequent.

---

I think I'm picking up some of the finer points of running. Pacing is so key. I'm learning when to push it and when to back off. Also been working on my breathing. I think I've tended to look down too much and close off my chest, for lack of a better word. The last couple of times I've been keeping my chest up and out and trying to breath in more deeply, almost take a double breath in each time. Someone told me my arms and upper body were too quiet, so I've been trying to add a little oomph to my stride with my arms, without looking like dancing Elaine of course.

1) I don't like to complain! But honestly, there wasn't much to update. I've been functional for normal living for awhile now, but knew I couldn't even try real non-physical therapy exercises until the 6 month mark (and my doctor recommended waiting an additional month, so I did). I suppose I could have given weekly updates on the torture my therapist inflicted while pulling my arm in ways it didn't want to be stretched (unfortunately, no, this is not a euphemism), but nobody wants to hear about my twice-weekly suffering.

....or maybe you do.

2) If you find out that you are running like Elaine dances, please please please get a video of it! Also keep in mind, Elaine didn't know she danced like that until she saw it on tape :nana:

Really though, form is everything, and if you're doing it right for a few weeks you won't even think about it anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Red Barn's been closed, so a coworker and I popped up to Durand Eastman today to climb the ruins of the "white lady's castle".

The cobblestones were a lot smoother than anticipated and made handholds difficult. That and the loads of cobwebs full of grumpy spiders who weren't too happy with our clambering about. 

Didn't go very high since we don't have crash mats and the ground isn't very level. Well, Devin did, but he's stronger and crazier than me. Great place to work on finger grip though- almost every single handhold is a crimp. Bonus- when I was done I went and cooled my aching toes off in Lake Ontario across the street! 

nWG65lq.jpg

The "castle" or 3 lakes pavillion.

Ds1xQQL.jpg

Devin going at it. 

BVflGht.jpg

Yours truly klutzing along and discovering centipede chums and beetle buddies in the cracks 

tYRbLT7.jpg

Devin and a good view of what we hope was chalk and not bird droppings... Some of the stones are really nicely textured and make good grips. Others were smooth sandstone and you'd just slip right off. Spent a lot of time testing different rocks rather than actually moving. 

KoDEuJx.jpg

Me again, avoiding a giant looming finger of death. I never went very high for fear of falling and then busting something, I just did a lot of side climbing and generally just hung out a lot, making pals with the giant daddy long legs that decided to hang out on my arm for awhile. 

I have a very vague understanding of what you look like, Josie, but I always think of Mara Wilson when I see pictures of you.

Just figured I would share this pointless observation. Carry on.

HA

I guess I can't deny some of the resemblance. We both have kind of crooked smirks/big noses/odd faces and jewish/irish ancestry. My face was half paralyzed as a kid, never really got that symmetry back (but who does..)

I've got one of those faces where I can't point out a doppelganger but every so often someone will come up to me and be like "Holy Sh!t you look exactly like my friend". 

HA

I guess I can't deny some of the resemblance. We both have kind of crooked smirks/big noses/odd faces and jewish/irish ancestry. My face was half paralyzed as a kid, never really got that symmetry back (but who does..)

I've got one of those faces where I can't point out a doppelganger but every so often someone will come up to me and be like "Holy Sh!t you look exactly like my friend".

Half of this was depressing but I think being compared to Mara is a compliment, so I hope you took it as one overall! Based on reading your posts and her tweets I think the similarities go further than looks.

Half of this was depressing but I think being compared to Mara is a compliment, so I hope you took it as one overall! Based on reading your posts and her tweets I think the similarities go further than looks.

You're not wrong. Just a quick scan of her wiki and such, yeah, lot of similarities. Kinda eerie, if I'm honest. 

And it's cool! She's a cool lady. 

Finally got around to buying a new bike down here in Columbus. First day out exploring, chose to stick mostly to campus. It's easy to rack up 10+ miles just on sidewalks and streets around OSU. Just gigantic. I didn't think anything would dwarf UB, but OSU does a great job of it. Here's a shot in front of The Shoe.

Hopefully my new toy helps get me in shape before the wedding  :unsure: G7mmnS0.jpg?2

Nice! I've got an X-Caliber too. Love it! 

You recommended it way back, and I obviously took that to heart! I shopped around a bunch, checked out a few different brands like Trek, Specialized, even State Bicycle Co's new mountain bike. Found a locally owned Trek shop that had an incredible selection and even better customer service. Considering all the features, the original price point, and the sale they were running, the X Caliber 8 was too good a deal to pass up.

I've only logged 15 miles so far, but it was great. Very smooth ride for a frame so big sitting on 29" wheels. I think it's going to be the perfect fitness bike for me. Enough resistance to increase my workout over a road bike, but not so much that I'm killing my legs trying to log 25+ milers. Now to decide if I want to bike to work and change or not... It's only 3 miles, so it's the dress clothes and briefcase that are stopping me, not the distance.

Red Barn's been closed, so a coworker and I popped up to Durand Eastman today to climb the ruins of the "white lady's castle".

The cobblestones were a lot smoother than anticipated and made handholds difficult. That and the loads of cobwebs full of grumpy spiders who weren't too happy with our clambering about. 

Didn't go very high since we don't have crash mats and the ground isn't very level. Well, Devin did, but he's stronger and crazier than me. Great place to work on finger grip though- almost every single handhold is a crimp. Bonus- when I was done I went and cooled my aching toes off in Lake Ontario across the street! 

nWG65lq.jpg

The "castle" or 3 lakes pavillion.

Ds1xQQL.jpg

Devin going at it. 

BVflGht.jpg

Yours truly klutzing along and discovering centipede chums and beetle buddies in the cracks 

tYRbLT7.jpg

Devin and a good view of what we hope was chalk and not bird droppings... Some of the stones are really nicely textured and make good grips. Others were smooth sandstone and you'd just slip right off. Spent a lot of time testing different rocks rather than actually moving. 

KoDEuJx.jpg

Me again, avoiding a giant looming finger of death. I never went very high for fear of falling and then busting something, I just did a lot of side climbing and generally just hung out a lot, making pals with the giant daddy long legs that decided to hang out on my arm for awhile. 

You recommended it way back, and I obviously took that to heart! I shopped around a bunch, checked out a few different brands like Trek, Specialized, even State Bicycle Co's new mountain bike. Found a locally owned Trek shop that had an incredible selection and even better customer service. Considering all the features, the original price point, and the sale they were running, the X Caliber 8 was too good a deal to pass up.

I've only logged 15 miles so far, but it was great. Very smooth ride for a frame so big sitting on 29" wheels. I think it's going to be the perfect fitness bike for me. Enough resistance to increase my workout over a road bike, but not so much that I'm killing my legs trying to log 25+ milers. Now to decide if I want to bike to work and change or not... It's only 3 miles, so it's the dress clothes and briefcase that are stopping me, not the distance.

I remember now. Cool! You're going to love it. You're right, it's a nice happy medium of several different types of bikes. A good utility bike, can hit the trails, can hit the streets, can cruise the city hitting curbs..............  If you need room for the briefcase and clothes, check out some of the small panniers. 

A pretty good group for last night's pub crawl; I totaled almost 31 miles.  I was running a little late but made up for it on the ride there.... averaged 16.5 mph on the ride in.

14107682_1046689995379890_58495123614552

You can see our group all along the trail to the right.

14125599_1046690082046548_70228981312489

Yep.  A pretty good group.  That's me toward the back on the left with the guy holding a helmet over my head.

14124896_1046690805379809_71296272513533

11 has given me my opening. Every time I see pics of Jo, I honestly wonder how this is the Jo Jo talks about. (Someone shoot that sentence!) I don't get it! But I think I do. It's kind of maddening.

Eh, I'm nuts. It's pretty obvious haha 

Almost played hockey again for the first time tonight, but too much work fell on my head. Soon, though! As in, next week I think! 

Will be doing autocross for real this time (storms and rains yesterday, I bailed) on the 11th. Red Barn is open again I think, so back to that! 

Heh.  Every time I try to post a comment supporting Jo, it always ends up making me sound like some old creepy stalker that lives in a van by the river.  I think I'll just say that I agree with PA's sentiment and leave it at that.

(I think it comes from not having any sisters and not knowing how to talk to a girl.)

Heh.  Every time I try to post a comment supporting Jo, it always ends up making me sound like some old creepy stalker that lives in a van by the river.  I think I'll just say that I agree with PA's sentiment and leave it at that.

Ditto, on all of it. Except the van, I'd park Van-dor in a nice hollow in the mountains.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite time to run? 4:45 in the morning by a mile. Temperatures are comfortable, no traffic to be concerned about and you're almost in a world of your own. Streets are vacant, many are still sleeping, and you have the rest of the day knowing your workout for the day is done. It's a great way to start the day. You've already achieved something. Running is a lot of fun. A quote from the late Steve Prefontaine, a runner many feel is America's greatest, is one I live by . "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." It applies to all parts of life.

Nice, GoPre. I was just having a discussion last night with a guy who has run 11 marathons. It bugs him when lots of people pass him and he finishes middle of the pack. I told him it's still an incredible accomplishment that puts him in an elite one-half of one-percent of people who can do what he does. (Just guessing on the percentages, but just take a look at a representative crowd of people in our society — my estimate might be conservative.) More to the point of the quote, is the following a fair statement? A person who finishes last in a running event, even if he or she crawls over the finish line, might be giving his or her best moreso than the winner?

I'm a night walker/hiker/runner, but recently I did a group run at 8 a.m. It was really nice. I think I felt better and had more energy. But I was totally lost that night with nothing to do.

Calisthenics. Not looking to add any muscle whatsoever. I'm not about to have to buy new clothes. Pull ups, push ups and core work. Now I just have to make a routine of it. I'm not ready to fully embrace the "dad body" yet. I can fight it off for a while longer.

Calisthenics. Not looking to add any muscle whatsoever. I'm not about to have to buy new clothes. Pull ups, push ups and core work. Now I just have to make a routine of it. I'm not ready to fully embrace the "dad body" yet. I can fight it off for a while longer.

Get some squat thrusts in there.

52 miles today, the most since I dumped the bike last month.  It was an extended club breakfast ride with the long weekend- 8 miles to the ride start, 28 miles from meetup to breakfast, and after breakfast several people wanted bonus miles so we hopped on the trail and got some extra miles in.  The weather was just about perfect.  I hope we have a nice extended fall with weather like this.

20160903_115705.jpg

New bar tape and brake levers

20160903_115753.jpg

The rugged vintage Cyclone Mk II derailleur.  Took a hard hit when I dumped the bike but I bent it back into shape and it still shifts like butter.

20160903_115739.jpg

The crowd at breakfast (me at bottom left)

14188335_1057364277645795_10259482383903

14188425_1057364314312458_85493228889568

Yes, this nasty summer heat does put a damper on bike trips.

Sure does! The other day I biked to work, just in 80 degrees, but the humidity was high. Just 3.5 miles was enough to work up quite the uncomfortable sweat that I didn't enjoy under the dress clothes I changed into.

Then it rained on the way home. The big beefy tires on the x caliber are awesome. But man do they kick up a ton of water!

All in all, wasn't the most successful first attempt at biking to work. But I'll do it a lot more in the fall when this heat and humidity breaks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.