Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m

Tim Thomas and FLA have contract terms in place, signing will occur once FLA ownership change is official, perhaps today or tomorrow.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

If it's done today, Thomas could be in lineup for pre-season game tonight. Deal, when signed, will be 1 year, AAV likely between $3M-$4M.

Tim Thomas I guess will be the Panthers #1? Not really sure how goaltending will work in Sunrise now.

Derek Stepan gets new 2yr bridge deal

John Shannon@JSportsnet 2m

Derek Stepan had a new 2 year deal with the NYR.

Markstrom will head back to the minors for one last year the second Clemmensieve is healthy. I feel like it's just about the perfect way to handle most young goalies. Give them the full 4 years they're allowed at the AHL level. There's no sense in rushing them.

Markstrom will head back to the minors for one last year the second Clemmensieve is healthy. I feel like it's just about the perfect way to handle most young goalies. Give them the full 4 years they're allowed at the AHL level. There's no sense in rushing them.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Wonder if the Sabres will use a similar approach with Hackett.

Also Derek Stepan reportedly getting 2yrs at just over 6mil.

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Stepan deal: two years, $6.15 M total

Edited by LGR4GM

so, just 30 months after the Sabres sell for $189M, the FLORIDA PANTHERS sell for a reported $250M.

Pegula totally hosed OSP on that deal.

If its like real estate, Location, Location, LOCATION!

I think the difference could be found in the value of the venue associated with the team. I have heard that the arena is a huge money maker on other events that it makes losing money on the Panthers worth the investment

so, just 30 months after the Sabres sell for $189M, the FLORIDA PANTHERS sell for a reported $250M.

Pegula totally hosed OSP on that deal.

Fine by me. ###### OSP.

In other news, "location" for a hockey team, is better in Buffalo than in Sunrise, Fla. Did the deal include some crazy arena rights or something?

Broward County owns the arena, the Panthers have a lease through 2028.

Let's not forget, Golisano said he offered a 'discounted' price for the Sabres under the condition the team stayed in BFLO. I don't remember all the details on that, but I remember it being talked about when the team was sold.

Fine by me. ###### OSP.

In other news, "location" for a hockey team, is better in Buffalo than in Sunrise, Fla. Did the deal include some crazy arena rights or something?

When it was first announced that the team was being sold to NY businessmen last week I remember reading about how it includes some deals with the arena and that is what makes it worth the money. They basically said that the arena deal is worth losing money over the hockey team.

Broward County owns the arena, the Panthers have a lease through 2028.

Let's not forget, Golisano said he offered a 'discounted' price for the Sabres under the condition the team stayed in BFLO. I don't remember all the details on that, but I remember it being talked about when the team was sold.

I remember that too, he said that he made the deal because he had other offers, but he was only making a deal with someone who would keep the team in Buffalo. No one else making offers were willing to agree to that

I remember that too, he said that he made the deal because he had other offers, but he was only making a deal with someone who would keep the team in Buffalo. No one else making offers were willing to agree to that

Exactly. Golisano deserves a lot of credit, but he was ran out of town the second they signed the papers.

In an apparent cost-cutting move (they were already at 23 players), the Senators have assigned the 6th overall pick from 2011 to their AHL affiliate.

http://www.cbssports...ibanejad-to-ahl

We may debate the pros and cons of our owner's actions and motives, but at least we don't have to deal with this sort of sh!t.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.