Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

i don't really understand why any team ever trades for the negotiating rights to a player, when that player could just walk in a 2 months for nothing

If you're a free agent and you get a phone call at the same time from both the Islanders and the Blackhawks, which one do you answer?

If you're a free agent and you get a phone call at the same time from both the Islanders and the Blackhawks, which one do you answer?

obviously the blackhawks, unless you want an uncontested #1 started position, which he'd have in NYC, or if he just loves the city. Buttt….if he is unsure about the islanders at all, he still has the option to wait to hear offers once he hits free agency if he wants to. thats the thing. sure they can start contract negotiations now and maybe sign him, but if Halak says Im going to wait until free agency to listen to any offers and then ill decide, then you wasted a 4th round pick for nothing

And Garth's desperate attempt to avoid being the man who traded away Connor McDavid begins.

Spot on. This doesn't look good for us, Halak is definitely an upgrade for them, but I'm hoping his attitude and the Isles terrible defense will cause a perfect storm of him playing horrible. I'd bet he starts out of the gate hot though.

It'd be icing on the cake if the Isles finished 14th and became the first ever lottery winner with a .5% chance

Spot on. This doesn't look good for us, Halak is definitely an upgrade for them, but I'm hoping his attitude and the Isles terrible defense will cause a perfect storm of him playing horrible. I'd bet he starts out of the gate hot though.

It'd be icing on the cake if the Isles finished 14th and became the first ever lottery winner with a .5% chance

If the Isles add a decent defensemen in addition to Halak, I think they're in that 8-11 spot.

Yeah, they play enough of a slow-down, grind-out style that Halak and four half-ok defensemen will squeak out an 8-11, simply because they won't be as wretched defensively as some of the worst teams in the league. Islanders were middle-of-the-road in goals for. They were third-worst in goals against, giving them the fourth worst goal differential. A bump up in D and G could boost them over teams like Ottawa and Calgary, if those teams don't get their ###### together. I think we'll still be fighting Florida and Edmonton for last, if neither of them hire Trotz.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

They were MOR in goals for with Vanek/Moulson, a healthy Taveres, and Okposo having a career year.

And they traded away one of their top defencemen in Mcdonald.

It's going to take more than Halak and one defenceman to pull them out of a bottom five finish.

I am also surprised at how many of you think Florida is worse than the Islanders.

Luongo is better than Halak and probably anyone else that the Islanders could acquire.

They are more likely to attract free agents than Wang.

And Huberdeau, Barkov, Gudbranson and Bjugstad are more likely to break out than Strome, Reinhart and Nelson.

They were MOR in goals for with Vanek/Moulson, a healthy Taveres, and Okposo having a career year.

And they traded away one of their top defencemen in Mcdonald.

It's going to take more than Halak and one defenceman to pull them out of a bottom five finish.

I am also surprised at how many of you think Florida is worse than the Islanders.

Luongo is better than Halak and probably anyone else that the Islanders could acquire.

They are more likely to attract free agents than Wang.

And Huberdeau, Barkov, Gudbranson and Bjugstad are more likely to break out than Strome, Reinhart and Nelson.

Good, arguable counterpoints.

Does anyone else find it hard to believe that halal is interested in signing with the islanders? He seemed disgusted to be a sabre, as though he wanted nothing to do with them.that could if course have been from shock of being traded from a contending team. I can't imagine why he would be excited to join the train wreck islanders

Does anyone else find it hard to believe that halal is interested in signing with the islanders? He seemed disgusted to be a sabre, as though he wanted nothing to do with them.that could if course have been from shock of being traded from a contending team. I can't imagine why he would be excited to join the train wreck islanders

Being the starter on a ###### team > being the backup on a ###### team.

I got the feeling that he was upset that the Blues felt they needed to upgrade from him. Then, it came out very early (before he physically got here) that the Sabres were looking to flip him for picks/prospects. TM may even have told him as much. So, his comments, which were something like "I won't be here long," were probably reflective of that state. Had he been in the plans for Buffalo, he might have felt/acted differently (after he cooled down about the Blues slighting him.) If the Isles were to tell him that he will be the #1 (and offer him a lot of $$), then that might be enough to sign.

Damien Cox (@DamoSpin) tweeted at 7:21 AM on Fri, May 02, 2014:

Florida GM Dale Tallon told PTS he is actively shopping the No. 1 pick in this summer's NHL draft. Not just accepting offers - shopping it.

(https://twitter.com/...190124559003648)

If only this had been posted in the 2014 NHL draft thread...

Lol I am just playing but it was posted and we were actually just discussing it over there.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/27179980-419/advanced-analytics-are-the-blackhawks-secret-formula-for-success.html#.U2P69XPD_qC

And my love for the Blackhawks continues to grow. Beware: the following contains information on how the Cup champion two of the past three seasons uses analytics to get an edge, and may result in a traumatic experience for the eye test crowd :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.