Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Good. Let them blow their wad early and lose in the second round.

There is one guy I see at my local watering hole that grew up here but his family is from Boston. I respect that, that's cool. Plus, he's a fellow hockey fan in Virginia Beach and I've never had to explain to him what icing is. That's cool, too.

What isn't cool is all he talks about are Boston teams. Boston this and Boston that - he talks to me like I give currap about how many minutes Chara had or why Lucic is the best forward in the league. As if I don't have enough reasons to hate the Bruins already, and then this guy keeps chirping away. On more than one occasion I've said to him, "You know the part where I'm not a Bruins fan, right?" and he smiles and keeps going, blissfully unaware of his own douchebaggery.

Sometimes I get concerned that my hatred for the Bruins is a little over the top. The I come here and find that I am in good company.

Got bored so I started looking at capgeek and I've gotta say, the Hurricanes' salary management is just terribe

http://www.capgeek.com/hurricanes/

$7 million/year for Semin? Cam Ward making more than Miller (albeit a small amount more) at $6.3 million/year? I think Eric Staal's a great player and all, but good luck trying to unload a $8.25 million/year cap-hit while paying him another $1 million/year on top of that.

Building on this, someone (26 maybe?) posted a link earlier about the Hurricanes trading away some top guys (i.e. Staal, Ward, and Skinner)

So, what does this board think about going after Skinner? It could mean the end of a tank next year, and he would be pricey, but he's got an enormous upside IMO

Edited by WildCard

Got bored so I started looking at capgeek and I've gotta say, the Hurricanes' salary management is just terribe

$7 million/year for Semin? Cam Ward making more than Miller (albeit a small amount more) at $6.3 million/year? I think Eric Staal's a great player and all, but good luck trying to unload a $8.25 million/year cap-hit while paying him another $1 million/year on top of that.

Building on this, someone (26 maybe?) posted a link earlier about the Hurricanes trading away some top guys (i.e. Staal, Ward, and Skinner)

So, what does this board think about going after Skinner? It could mean the end of a tank next year, and he would be pricey, but he's got an enormous upside IMO

I'm good without that little punk on our team.

The Canes have plenty of cap space, why would they trade away a 21 year old that produces?

Don't know if they will trade him but Canes are a budget team, not a cap team.

This is true. If the constraints of a budget would necessitate a move, Semin would be the likely one moved. He has produced fairly well for the Canes where I can see a team in need of scoring willing to pick up the $7 mil price tag.

Derek Roy probably has his best chance this year to win the cup.

Derek Roy is playing at the correct station at this point of his career. He is a true #3 center and has been his entire career. He was forced here in Buffalo to play above his true station.

The Canes have plenty of cap space, why would they trade away a 21 year old that produces?

Don't know if they will trade him but Canes are a budget team, not a cap team.

I can't find the video, but it was on TSN titled something like "Wind of Change." They talk about how the Canes are looking to trade those big names, saying Staal and Ward being almost a lock to be traded over the summer (Ward specifically) and Skinner possibly going to. They do have a ton of cap space, but the money isn't the issue with Skinner in particular. He's signed relatively cheap, something like $5.5 million/year, and he's locked up for the next few years so if they're intention is a rebuild, which it's looking like, I'm not sure why they'd trade him. Also, if they trade Staal and Ward they should get very nice returns, as well as freeing up cap space, something that could definitely help the process along.

Still, if TSN is correct, you gotta wonder about snagging him. We could use some top line wingers, as it's been point out here, and he fits the bill perfectly.

I'm good without that little punk on our team.

Derek Roy 2.0. I'd like to win a Cup someday.

I would love Skinner on our team. I haven't seen him play a ton, but I wouldn't lump him in with Roy. He seems to have the offensive upside Roy never had.

I can't find the video, but it was on TSN titled something like "Wind of Change." They talk about how the Canes are looking to trade those big names, saying Staal and Ward being almost a lock to be traded over the summer (Ward specifically) and Skinner possibly going to. They do have a ton of cap space, but the money isn't the issue with Skinner in particular. He's signed relatively cheap, something like $5.5 million/year, and he's locked up for the next few years so if they're intention is a rebuild, which it's looking like, I'm not sure why they'd trade him. Also, if they trade Staal and Ward they should get very nice returns, as well as freeing up cap space, something that could definitely help the process along.

Still, if TSN is correct, you gotta wonder about snagging him. We could use some top line wingers, as it's been point out here, and he fits the bill perfectly.

I would love Skinner on our team. I haven't seen him play a ton, but I wouldn't lump him in with Roy. He seems to have the offensive upside Roy never had.

He's not built for the playoffs. We've already walked this road.

He's not built for the playoffs. We've already walked this road.

My fault, never saw it discussed on here. At the risk of reopening it though, why is Skinner not playoff material? The canes have been in what, one, maybe two playoff series since he's been there? Edited by WildCard

Sometimes I get concerned that my hatred for the Bruins is a little over the top. The I come here and find that I am in good company.

###### that team.

I'm a little in the same boat, being in LA. If someone likes another team in the Eastern Conference, I'm not friends with them. Period. Thankfully, though, most EC fans I run into are, in typical LA fashion, extremely fair weather. So even if they were fans of another EC team, I could tolerate them just long enough to out-shittalk them and walk away victorious.

Roy has a higher PPG than Skinner(.748 vs.708). He was also the last sabre to score 80 points. He had one bad season in his last year here and is almost universally hated on sabrespace because he liked to party and he didnt hit everything that moved out there on the ice.

Sabres fans hate players that put up points. This seems like a well documented sabrespace fact(clearly tongue in cheek before someone jumps on this). But as d4rk and I ,have discussed before, I am a damn commie russian who only likes scoring. Flame away! I know most of you hate Roy.

Edited by ubkev

My fault, never saw it discussed on here. At the risk of reopening it though, why is Skinner not playoff material? The canes have been in what, one, maybe two playoff series since he's been there?

We haven't discussed Skinner, but we've already walked this road with the last group of Sabres. Offensively skilled and totally incapable of leading a team to a championship.

Roy has a higher PPG than Skinner(.748 vs.708). He was also the last sabre to score 80 points. He had one bad season in his last year here and is almost universally hated on sabrespace because he liked to party and he didnt hit everything that moved out there on the ice.

Sabres fans hate players that put up points. This seems like a well documented sabrespace fact(clearly tongue in cheek before someone jumps on this). But as d4rk and I ,have discussed before, I am a damn commie russian who only likes scoring. Flame away! I know most of you hate Roy.

Actually I hate players that don't perform when the playoffs are on the line.

We haven't discussed Skinner, but we've already walked this road with the last group of Sabres. Offensively skilled and totally incapable of leading a team to a championship.

Actually I hate players that don't perform when the playoffs are on the line.

I'll concede that point uncontested. But to be fair, no one else performed either.

So what are we supposed to have, a team full of Folignos and Girgs? Those guys are necessary, no question, but you still need a balance of talent. You can't have all grit and no scoring, that's what we have already. Adding one such guy in Skinner isn't going to immediately turn us into the Canucks cup team with the Sedin-sisters. I'm still confused as to why he's not considered a playoff guy, what has he done to warrant this?

Edited by WildCard

So what are we supposed to have, a team full of Folignos and Girgs? Those guys are necessary, no question, but you still need a balance of talent. You can't have all grit and no scoring, that's what we have already. Adding one such guy in Skinner isn't going to immediately turn us into the Canucks cup team with the Sedin-sisters. I'm still confused as to why he's not considered a playoff guy, what has he done to warrant this?

He's a f*cking cherub. I don't want a team full of grinders but I also don't want a team of waifs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.